Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know most everyone here is going to say Dunwich Horror but -

I can get an excellent price for Innsmouth Horror. Would it be worthwhile to get that one first?

Thanks.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidPD wrote:
I know most everyone here is going to say Dunwich Horror but -

I can get an excellent price for Innsmouth Horror. Would it be worthwhile to get that one first?

Thanks.

cheers
Of course, but you must realise that IH will make your game much harder. If you aren't winning around 50% of the time on Base, then you might find you take a kicking with IH - at least to start with. IH is a lot of fun though, possibly more so actual "fun" than DH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, go ahead and get Innsmouth Horror if you can get it cheaply. It is a great expansion and you can always try Dunwich Horror later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is "you're going to end up getting both eventually, so might as well grab IH on the cheap".

As I mentioned to someone in another thread about this topic, you could always include the stuff that doesn't make the game harder first, if you find it's too difficult. So use the new investigators, personal stories, etc, and add in the other items as you see fit. Or, if you find base AH easy anyway, just go all-in with it.

A number of people tend to agree that (at least portions of) Lurker at the Threshold makes the game somewhat easier; so you could always get IH and Lurker to play together, if you can swing that financially, and play with the Pact and Relationship cards. In addition, Lurker has some replacement gates that you could use in Innsmouth (while replacing the base AH gates as well), if you wanted to do so.

My main reason for getting Lurker as my first expansion was that it affects every game that it's in, with the new gates and Pact cards in particular. And the replacement gates work with all 3 big box expansions, so as I add other expansions, I get to include more of Lurker at the same time. So it's like the gift that keeps on giving, as I get more big box expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innsmouth was my first (and currently only) big expansion. It does add diffculty to the the game but it's a fun addition and like a previous poster said: you're going to want them all eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsport is the only expansion that I didn't love. Rather, I merely like it. If you are remotely intereste in picking up expansions there is no reason not to get this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Kam
United States
Lafayette
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Innsmouth is the best expansion and if you can get it on the cheap, go for it. It's worth it just for the extra investigators and GOOs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innsmouth is great, but it is the most difficult of the big-box expansions to beat. Prepare to master the rules for devoured investigators, because you'll be using them a lot. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Money
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. Ordered.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.