United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Geeks!

So, obviously, Betrayal is full of rules questions, due to the sheer fact that there is so much variety in 50 haunts. I'm sure we have all had this conversation before:

Geek 1: "I don't know if I'm allowed to do this..."

Geek 2: "Well, let's check the rules... Hmm, I don't see this in here. There is that part at the end of the rulebook that says 'What If There Isn't A Rule For That?'"

Then the players go off arguing about how "It's a haunted house. If there can be an Underground Lake Upstairs, then I can do this."

Thus, to avoid some conflicts, I have instated some of my own house rules. For example:

1) First-time players may choose not to be the traitor, if they normally would be. We all know there can be a lot to think about, what with how monsters move and the Haunts not always being clear. On top of that, it can be difficult for the traitor to ask clarifying questions without giving away pertinent information. Thus, if a first-timer becomes the traitor, we let him know what he's about to get himself into, and give him a chance to switch with the most logical character (obviously, making whatever adjustments need to be made to insure a fair game).

2) I know there is a rule for this, but I added to it, to make it seemingly more logical and challenging. When a player rolls a 0 in the Mystic Elevator, the tile plummets to the basement, and all players inside must take 1 die of physical damage. I didn't think it made sense to have to roll for damage if a character was already in the basement (I guess it could start to rise and then plummet, but whatever...), and it also didn't make sense that plummeting two floors would cost the same dice of damage as one floor. As such, when a player rolls a 0 in the Elevator, we apply the following:

If the Elevator is in the Basement: No damage roll required.
If the Elevator is on the Ground Floor: 1 die physical damage.
If the Elevator is on the Upper Floor: 2 dice physcial damage.

These are just a few. What house rules do you all use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystic Elevator, generally, can NOT be exited and entered again by the same character during the same turn.

There are Haunts where the characters have to, or can win by slaying the traitor. Traitor doesn't have to roll for the Mystic Elevator. He goes in and keeps teleporting around the board at will. Not good.

The number of house rules for certain haunts is near impossible to count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
msg tools
Any player in the same room, or an adjacent room, can move according to their speed when the Traitor is revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.