Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that you will take on learning this great game. Due to the complexity of the game for the first time ever I am breaking the episode into two (still quite lengthy) episodes. Their length is due to the fact that I not only wanted to teach you the rules of the game but give you some basic understandings in how to play the game well.

In this first part of the episode, I have my usual discussions on what I love about the game, discuss the complexity and some teaching suggestions. I then launch into the standard hook and a full explanation and guide to playing or teaching your first game of Through the Ages using the simple rules.

In the second part, I explain how to play one of the more complex versions of the game, give a little starting strategy and a thorough run-through of all of the oft-misplayed rules.

Click here to check out this episode's web page

Please refer to the following pictures for visual reference, my thanks to the BGG contributors of these images.

Through the Ages Player Board

Through the Ages Main Board

Age I Civil Cards

Age I Military Cards (Advanced and Full Games)

EDIT: remove dead link to podcast MP3 file
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doug woolley

Vancouver
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting for this (and knew you were working on it). Thank you thank you thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Horn
United States
FPO
AE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ryan! I've listened to every one of your podcasts to date (even for games I don't own) and was pretty happy to discover this one. I just received my copy of Through the Ages yesterday and in the mail, and was slowly working through it myself before busting this out on my friends and/or wife. What a surprise to see that you release this the same day! I love you. Deeply. In a way that only a man who listens to another man's podcasts while he catches glimpses of him from afar.

But, seriously...thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Platt
United Kingdom
Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is AWESOME Ryan! many many thanks,

Have been looking for an excuse to get this game out and really learn it, and your podcasts have been a perfect opportunity.

Now, to coerce some of my gaming group to commit to such a venture...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very very very thanx!

Now all we need is an english in-depth video for this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hoopfer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this. I was extremely intimidated by this game after picking it up and I have only listened to the first half so far, but everything has made perfect sense and I have no fear at all of the basic game at least for now

Edit: Listened to the second part of the podcast (we'll definitely start with the basic game LOL) but the way it was explained made perfect sense. After listening to it I didn't think it was any more complex than a Die Macher or Arkham Horror. Eagle should be including your podcast on a CD with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.