Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Playing card mandatory? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, must a card be played each turn or is it optional? Thanks! I saw nothing inFAQ on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
lhughes41 wrote:
Hi, must a card be played each turn or is it optional? Thanks! I saw nothing inFAQ on this

Yes, you must play a card. However, you can choose not to implement anything on it. This is one way to cycle "bad" cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
lhughes41 wrote:

Yes, you must play a card. However, you can choose not to implement anything on it. This is one way to cycle "bad" cards.

I've never seen that happen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
lhughes41 wrote:

Ancients, I haven't seen it happen. Memoir it has happened a few times, but I also have a lot more games of that logged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
lhughes41 wrote:

This is one of the great tensions of the game.

There are no bad cards in CCA....all of them can be game winners in the right situation....but all can be nearly useless to the wrong army in the wrong situation. If you have a hand of 5 and two section order cards for a flank where you no longer have units, you're essentialy stuck with a hand of 3 and cycling those cards out is of prime importance....but may not be so easy when the enemy is pressuring you. Finding a lull turn to safely cycle them without losing tempo can be very difficult, particularly late in the battle, and is one of the key challenges in hand management.

The best and easiest time to cycle sub-par cards is at the beginning of the battle, before you're fully engaged with the enemy, because pressure and tempo loss are not so critical. Another really interesting decision is disposing of cards early which may be of some use to you but would be stellar Counterattack opportunities for your opponent in the thick of battle later on......e.g. an Imperial Roman army dropping Mounted Charge early to prevent a Parthian enemy getting better use out of it on the Counterattack, or the Parthian doing the same with Double Time.

So lots of interesting hand management decisions in dealing with useless cards and the timing is critical.....another great aspect of this game.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
My situation was my son had set himself up on hills while I approached and he liked all his cards and wanted to "pass"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope-- "pass" is not an option.

And it would be bad for the game if it were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone. A similar followup: many cards say something to the effect " you move these n guys...but if you don.t have the qualifying type then u may move any one piece.'" May I pick the one piece option even if I did qualify for the "better" multiple unit use. The language seems to say no but prior colors games I could swear the spirit of it was as a consolation price and u could always pick it regardless. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Playing card mandatory
Good questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lhughes41 wrote:
Thanks everyone. A similar followup: many cards say something to the effect " you move these n guys...but if you don.t have the qualifying type then u may move any one piece.'" May I pick the one piece option even if I did qualify for the "better" multiple unit use. The language seems to say no but prior colors games I could swear the spirit of it was as a consolation price and u could always pick it regardless. Thanks

It depends on the card. Read them carefully!

If you are talking about cards like "Order Heavy Troops" where there is an alternative to move one unit of your choice if you don't have any Heavy units, then you are stuck ordering Heavy units even if you only have one block remaining in the last Heavy unit in your force.

If your last Heavy unit is eliminated (or you never had any to begin with) and you have the card in your hand, then you may order one unit of your choice.

However, the "Inspired Leadership" cards do offer you the choice of using the card's primary ability or ordering one unit of your choice. Up to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say he can play a card and not order a unit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sword of Gideon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Always: all orders are optional. Ordering a unit to move '0' and not battle is an order.

I have had a few times where I have literally had no card to order a unit (usually late in a battle, and with at least one section empty and one banner to go for victory). I've never had it occur more than about once in 100 or so games though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.