Mont-Saint-Hilaire
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And D-Day Dice, too!
badge
I'm an "A"vatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I noticed there weren’t any reviews of this promo, I decided to take matters into my own hands (much like that little statue, come to think of it). The Manneken Pis is available as a BGG promo, and some users might want to know what, exactly, they are buying.

What’s in the box?
Well, there’s no box. Just one piece of cardboard and 1 card. The rules are downloadable from here (look in the files section) or Repos’ website. The Manneken Pis is a double-sided wonder, just like the 7 found in the base game. What’s unique about it is its powers and the strategy needed to play it.

What’s to like?
A lot! First and foremost, it is a promo, and must be viewed as such. This item was not deemed important enough to warrant its inclusion in the base game, and cannot be considered “vital” to the game. It is a nifty bonus that adds something very interesting to the game.

The first thing you’ll notice is the artwork, which totally fits the tone from the base game, but with a humorous touch (which doesn’t really fit the game). The statue has a sombrero on side A and a Leonidas get-up on side B. Come on, where else can you pit the Pyramids of Gizeh against a pissing statue wearing a sombrero?

Then, one might notice something unique about this wonder: it does not grant any resource. Instead, its player receives an additional 4 pieces at the start of the game. This will definitely have an impact when playing this wonder. If you’re like me or my girlfriend, you’ll overcompensate by playing a lot of brown and grey cards during the first 2 Ages.

The 2 sides of the Manneken Pis are quite different: side A is the most interesting one, where the 1st stage copies the 1st stage of your left neighbor, the 2nd stage copies the 2nd stage of your right neighbor, and the last stage copies the 3rd stage of either one of your neighbors (your choice).

In a sense, side A of Manneken Pis is the essence of 7 Wonders. It perfectly embodies its basic mechanic of playing according to your neighbors. Also, it adds a lot of unpredictability to the game, since the wonder will play completely differently depending on its player’s position at the table.

Side B of this wonder is less “interesting” but more straightforward. Its one and only stage grants you 7 pieces, 7 VP and 1 Shield, plus a free beer with the right people. While this stage is expensive in my opinion (it costs 1 of each resource), it has the benefit of only costing 1 card to build your entire wonder, leaving you with more buildings to build.

What’s not to like?
Nothing, really. In a game where there are only 7 wonders to build, having an 8th one adds a lot.

So… is it worth it?
Yes! You can get this for 5$, shipping included, at the BGG store. If you enjoy 7 Wonders, this is a no-brainer. It’s the only wonder that offers unpredictability and a bit of humor. Plus, it's cheap. So go get it. Now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, I like the wonder, although it is more of a novelty, it's unique with the 1 build side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely the "Dan" of the wonders. Awesomely fun when you're in the need of a beer, or cocky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tinney
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would be very interested. I only picked up 7 Wonders right after the promo became unavailable from BGG cry

Horrible timing shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello all,

I just got a copy and tested it the other day. As the OP says, it is a promotional item and should be regarded as such. Keeping this in mind, I like having it in my collection, but I doubt I will play with it again.

The main reason is that it is waaay weaker than any other wonder. Clearly I prefer a resource than 4 extra gold, but the worse part are the wonder stages.

For comparison purposes, imagine that all players have side A: as mentioned above, second stage will copy the right neighbor. Also recall that the first and third stages are equal for everyone, so you will also have 3 and 7 victory points from them (regardless of who you copy). So, you end up having the same bonuses as your right neighbor but with a more expensive wonder (to build the 3 phases you will need one of each resource).

When sides A and B are mixed up you might get really lucky, but in general you get terrible powers. Normally this happens because each wonder goes towards a direction. Imagine you are close to olympia stage B: you both have the opportunity of buying to your neighbors for 1 gold...but if neither of you have resources to be bought, chances are that you will both be screwed. Similar if you copy the "pick a card from the discard", or a shield from Rhodes, etc...

The only good thing is that you can get a free beer from the winner, which will probably not be you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amiral wrote:
What’s not to like?
Nothing, really. In a game where there are only 7 wonders to build, having an 8th one adds a lot.

So… is it worth it?
Yes! You can get this for 5$, shipping included, at the BGG store. If you enjoy 7 Wonders, this is a no-brainer. It’s the only wonder that offers unpredictability and a bit of humor. Plus, it's cheap. So go get it. Now.

Hmmm ... what not to like? For me that it's doesn't really fit in with overall theme of the game - and maybe it also a little bit silly. Not that I don't like fun, but the rest of the game has a different feel for me.

... and no way, I will give you that beer. I am the winner. You should get me a beer,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nelson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yallow wrote:
I too would be very interested. I only picked up 7 Wonders right after the promo became unavailable from BGG cry

Horrible timing shake

As I would be interested in a copy of the promo as well, if anyone has an extra copy...I also fall into the "Horrible Timing" category... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Baker
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're dying for it and don't mind spending more than $5 , you can always get it with the SpielBox magazine 2011/1. You can pick that up directly from Spielbox (~$15 shipped) or from Thought Hammer (~$20 shipped with nothing else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drstein2004 wrote:
Hello all,

I just got a copy and tested it the other day. As the OP says, it is a promotional item and should be regarded as such. Keeping this in mind, I like having it in my collection, but I doubt I will play with it again.

The main reason is that it is waaay weaker than any other wonder. Clearly I prefer a resource than 4 extra gold, but the worse part are the wonder stages.

For comparison purposes, imagine that all players have side A: as mentioned above, second stage will copy the right neighbor. Also recall that the first and third stages are equal for everyone, so you will also have 3 and 7 victory points from them (regardless of who you copy). So, you end up having the same bonuses as your right neighbor but with a more expensive wonder (to build the 3 phases you will need one of each resource).

When sides A and B are mixed up you might get really lucky, but in general you get terrible powers. Normally this happens because each wonder goes towards a direction. Imagine you are close to olympia stage B: you both have the opportunity of buying to your neighbors for 1 gold...but if neither of you have resources to be bought, chances are that you will both be screwed. Similar if you copy the "pick a card from the discard", or a shield from Rhodes, etc...

The only good thing is that you can get a free beer from the winner, which will probably not be you :p

I'm just glad it's not overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Velasquez
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping its still available after the holidays on bgg..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.