BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Help a GenCon noob out! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The InfiniteAmmo
msg tools
mb
Hello BGG'ers!

This year will be my first year at GenCon--and it's also my first convention ever! I'm super excited to go.

All I have done so far is pre-order my badge months ago (and had it marked Will Call).

That being said, I wanted some input from experienced Con-goers on what's not to be missed and how to go about GenCon! So, help me out! What's this nonsense about tickets about anyway?

It's a tad confusing for a first-timer!

Thanks so much, I look forward to some great advice!

-Acaedys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
You use tickets to get into the events. The events are basically gaming sessions. Check out the registration site and use the find events to scan what events are available that you may be interested in playing.

This will be my first multi-day experience myself, but, from my small level of experience the must see event of the con is the Exhibitor Hall. Sooooo much stuff to see and buy and do. You can wander the place for hours your first trip in total awe. There you can demo a lot of games and meet a lot of interesting people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a board gamer, there is a thread here that talks about open board gaming at the Con.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/639282/gen-con-game-libr...

Many people like to hit the Dealer Hall to demo new games.

Personally the highlight for me is just having 3+ days of solid gaming.

Have fun!

-Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The InfiniteAmmo
msg tools
mb
Thanks, Keith and Mark!

Are there any open gaming sessions that don't require tickets? As in, just a big room with a bunch of people playing games?

I tried to look on the GenCon site for things like an intinerary or schedule, or even what time things begin. It could not be more unhelpful!

Any idea where I can find that kind of info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Jones
United States
Franklin
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give our Gen Con Primer 2011 episode a listen - and have fun in Indy!

Episode 67 - Gen Con Primer 2011
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acaedys wrote:
Thanks, Keith and Mark!

Are there any open gaming sessions that don't require tickets? As in, just a big room with a bunch of people playing games?

I tried to look on the GenCon site for things like an intinerary or schedule, or even what time things begin. It could not be more unhelpful!

Any idea where I can find that kind of info?

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2011.cgi

I would suggest getting tickets to the game library and pick-up play area (under of Isle of Misfit Events). Unlimited game rentals, and a central location for finding opponents is a much better way to do open gaming than wandering around the Board Game HQ looking for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend the Game On! podcast link above. I discovered their show a few weeks ago and got hooked. I would listen to that show he referenced and if you liked it, go back through their archives for the GenCon related episodes for the past couple of years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The InfiniteAmmo
msg tools
mb
Oh, awesome! Thanks so much, everyone! I knew asking here on BGG would get me the answers I crave!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being an Origins regular for years, I generally suggest new con goers to be wary about too many ticketed events unless they're RPG events. I've been hosed many times after buying ticketed events and losing track of time in the exhibit hall and losing out on that money.

I would almost reccomend you schedule a couple hours to just walk around and look at everything.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hey! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Generic tickets (that's their name) can be used for a lot of events, especially if an event ticket holder is a no-show. There are also usually a number of demo games you can sit in on in the exhibit hall.

Wear comfortable shoes.

Don't worry about a backpack, laptop or whatnot. Travel light and enjoy walking around.

May want a camera (phone or whatever) if you like pictures of/with people in costumes, neat miniatures, etc.

The GenCon forums have some really helpful threads on getting ready, what to do, etc. You should check them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GenCon was born as a wargames convention divided about evenly between miniatures and boardgames, you must try some miniatures game.

Here's what's keeping me busy!
Long Range Patrol – Vietnam Lurps game – HMN1118827 Thursday 6pm-7:30pm
Long Range Patrol – Vietnam Lurps game – HMN1118829 Thursday 8pm-9:30pm
Send in the Clones – Clone Wars game – NMN1118837 Friday 9am-1pm
Introduction to Napoleonics – French vs Russian battle – HMN1118842 Friday 3pm-7pm
Long Range Patrol – Vietnam Lurps game – HMN1118861 Saturday 9am-10:30am
Advance to the Meuse – WWII micro armor battle – HMN1118862 1pm-6pm
Stop the Russian Bear – WWII micro armor battle – HMN1118863 7pm-11pmcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P Duggan
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so can I just show up at gencon on Friday or something and mill about for a few hours?

I find myself in Minnesota, contemplating a drive back to Pennsylvania, and maybe a bypass to Indie can work.

Will it be worth it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Breeden

Indiana
msg tools
mb
I hate to say this but if you going to be there for just a few hours on Friday, probably not. A day pass will cost you $48. You'll need that to get into the dealers hall, auction room, or play any games. since you didn't pre-reg the line for ticket could be any where from 5 minutes to 2 hours long. don't get me wrong it's a great con and I highly recommend but for dollars to hours i don't think it worth it to just drop by for a 1/2 day. Now if you could do 3 day the full pass is about @bucks and that makes it worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
heirodule wrote:
so can I just show up at gencon on Friday or something and mill about for a few hours?

I find myself in Minnesota, contemplating a drive back to Pennsylvania, and maybe a bypass to Indie can work.

Will it be worth it?

I think so!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.