Popular Tags: kids_too_young [+] [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age 12+, eh? I can't wait that long.

My son turned five earlier this month. Up to now, his gaming repertoire has been limited to Candy Land, Chutes & Ladders, Hi Ho Cherry-Oh, Sorry, and (recently) Risk. (He still needs to stop going after Alaska & Iceland without regard to anything else.) He knows how to play Checkers (but not well), and is somewhat OK with moving the pieces in Chess. (He has problems with Knights after their first move.)

Well ... his most recent fascination is with Risk. We have played numerous 2-player games by now (cards faceup), and while he loves playing this, I really want him to delve more into Eurogaming territory.

So I broke out my copy of Caylus.

I introduced him to the game the other day. Earlier today, I showed his granddaddy (my wife's father, in town for a couple days) the game; he was blown away by the complexity. And earlier tonight, with grandpa watching, we played our first full 2player game of Caylus.

Now, I did simplify a couple things. All favors were worth a flat 3 PPs. In addition, I decided to eschew the provost. Instead, only buildings up to (and including) the baliff could be entered, and the last player to pass would decide whether he moved up one or two spaces. (It turned out, we each moved the baliff two spaces every turn, resulting in a quick, 9-turn game.)

But everything else about the game, I kept in. And he absolutely loved the game!

OK, he has a lot to learn about strategy ... but he did use the Carpenter three times in the early going, building the Mason, Quarry (2 stones), and Peddler (1/2 coins for 1/2 cubes); the last of these came at the beginning of the Walls phase. He also got a batch in the castle during the Dungeon Phase.

He also got into cashflow problems; even after I built the Marketplace (1 cube for $6), he only used it once near the end. At the same time, he kept taking the Trading Post ($3) and his Peddler over and over.

For my part: I built two times (at once) in the Dungeon, ended up building all three stone farms (he needs to learn to fight for these), got the Lawyer out near the end (and the Architect), and was able to snag a gold before getting a Prestige building. (On the last turn of the game, his first move was to the Goldmine, blocking me from a 2nd gold. Not too shabby, I gotta say.)

The final score was me 114, him 85. Honestly, I've beaten players by more than that on BSW (back when I was playing 2pl games there). And let's be fair ... he's five! All in all, a solid first game for him.

And of course the 'important' thing: he loved the game. Now I fear he'll pester me for games for the rest of the summer. Well, it beats work, I guess.

I'll work with him on this for a while. I'm hoping that when he turns six, he'll be ready for Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge accepted.
My son just turned 1, so we have 4 years to train.

Seriously, though, what were you thinking? "I wanted to get him into Eurogames, so I started with one of the most complicated ones." surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Seriously, though, what were you thinking? "I wanted to get him into Eurogames, so I started with one of the most complicated ones." surprise

Here were some of my reasons:

1) It's a personal favorite.

2) I'll be GMing it at the WBC. If I can teach a 5-year-old, the Demo shouldn't be so tough.

3) Fairly quick set-up and clean-up time.

4) He likes the black pieces. (Generally, player colors. This rules out PR and Ra.)

5) It can be played with 2.

6) I felt my simplifications would help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whoa 5? I'm over 40 and have trouble playing this one! (no nasty comments thanks)

Just try Zooloretto next time...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:

My son turned five earlier this month. Up to now, his gaming repertoire has been limited to Candy Land, Chutes & Ladders, Hi Ho Cherry-Oh, Sorry, and (recently) Risk.
and while he loves playing this, I really want him to delve more into Eurogaming territory.

I'll work with him on this for a while. I'm hoping that when he turns six, he'll be ready for Agricola.
I really wish you know how you made yourself look with this post, but I fear the sight would fall on blind eyes.

Thumbs up for gaming with your son.

Thumbs down for not playing a more age appropriate game with him.
You should be selecting games with HIM in mind - not with your gaming needs foremost.

Newsflash - he liked the game because he was playing with daddy, it was a Big Boy Game, and you heaped praise and attention on him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Holmstrand
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
[q="arkayn"]

4) He likes the black pieces. (Generally, player colors. This rules out PR and Ra.)

I'm pretty sure most of the pieces included in Puerto Rico are "black"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
I really wish you know how you made yourself look with this post, but I fear the sight would fall on blind eyes.

I think he made himself look like a guy who loves gaming with his son and whose son is apparently some kind of genius gaming savant.

Seriously, I question the wisdom of trying Caylus so early, but if they had fun, more power to them. And even if they hadn't had fun, I don't see how it's somehow so terrible.

Quote:
Newsflash - he liked the game because he was playing with daddy, it was a Big Boy Game, and you heaped praise and attention on him.

Isn't that (most of) the point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-André Boulianne
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really nice. I got a 2½ years old boy and I play with him too. We mostly make towers with dice or cubes and play with the components but still he's getting used to unpunching new games(which is like a christmas gift for him.) and putting a game back in a box. We also have fun sorting the pieces by color or size.

It's good to see another board gamer sharing his passion ! Keep it up !

Markan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Viana
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play with my little boy 4 years old. But we play something else according to his age as Carcassonne Kids. When, at his request, we play "Daddy´s trains´ game" - Railways of the World - I am fully aware that I'm playing a solo game with half a partner who is having fun putting the trains as red markers on the board, "helping me" to keep the cubes and get the poker chips used as money. But this still cool and we had fun together, which is what matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:

Which might be exactly what the little guy wants and needs, regardless to what they are playing.

Rilyn helps me change the oil on my truck - something she knows nothing about and is WAY beyond her. But she likes scooting on her butt and crawling underneath with me, and helping me loosen the bolts, and catching the dirty oil, and getting greasy and dirty, and so on. She gets a ton of attention and she feels like she is helping me, when honestly, her "help" makes the job last 20 minutes longer than it should, and that isn't even counting her tub time afterwards. But you know what, she says thank you, and totally digs it.

It's way out of her league, but it's a great way for us to spend some time together, and I doubt anyone is going to convince me that THAT is a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You should be selecting games with HIM in mind - not with your gaming needs foremost.

Honestly, I don't understand this. Does challenging children with difficult to learn games count as some sort of abuse? I'd rather a dad who was trying to teach me Caylus than sit me in front of cartoons. If it wasn't for my Dad playing games like Torres, Tikal, Cosmic Encounter, and Acquire with me when I was developing, I don't think I'd be nearly as into games as I am now. If he didn't like it that would be one thing, but there is nothing wrong with making a child think if he is enjoying himself. In fact that is about the best possible scenario for a parent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
Coyotek4 wrote:

My son turned five earlier this month. Up to now, his gaming repertoire has been limited to Candy Land, Chutes & Ladders, Hi Ho Cherry-Oh, Sorry, and (recently) Risk.
and while he loves playing this, I really want him to delve more into Eurogaming territory.

I don't think he did anything wrong. If the kid can play it now, imagine what he could do in 5 or 10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I was introduced to chess around the same age. By 10 or 11, I was playing Axis and Allies with my (similarly-aged) friends. There's nothing wrong with introducing kids to complex things, as long as they are having fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:

I am sorry to bring this post back up, but I lack the self control. This is a ridiculous comment!
I'm fighting the urge to rant......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dale12 wrote:
reapersaurus wrote:

I am sorry to bring this post back up, but I lack the self control. This is a ridiculous comment!
I'm fighting the urge to rant......

There's really no need. He stated his opinion, and a wave of people disagreed. No reason to harp on it, we already won the argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.