Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I arrived at work this morning and lo and behold I find that I have 3 parcels waiting for me...

Opened them up and I find my life disappearing before me:

Guderian's Blitzkrieg II
Dai Senso
Totaler Kreig
Proud Monster Deluxe

So I would like to say a fond farewell to all of you because I am declaring my hermit-ship for the next season or two!

Edit 1: (As I typed, I received another parcel! This one has White Star Rising & Miskatonic Horror Expansion in it.)

Edit 2: (As I typed my edit, I got another parcel containing:

Nightfighter
Dawn's Early Light
Field Commander Napoleon
Hungarian Nightmare
Keep up the Fire!
Guns of August
The Great Pacific War 1937 - 1945
Tiger of Malaya: The Fall of Singapore
Third Reich/Great Pacific War Player's Guide
World at War : Paris is Burning
Rumors of War Supplement

I am now officially unavailable for the rest of the year! What a good wargaming day this turned out to be!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice haul Eric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
It has been nice knowing you. You (and your avatar) will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do they have good take-out there? 'cause I've got a feeling your kitchen is about to turn into a new game closet.

Very nice game pack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Bye!!! See you next year Eric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He must thave a big conveyer belt coming straight fron the Post Office...we only get one delivery a day AND we have to go into town to pick up parcels AND what's he playing at getting so many games at once then gloating about it the sadist AND anyway why haven't I got MY PM Deluxe yet...it's not fair I tell you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky for me the post office is almost literally next door and they deliver overseas (space consuming) parcels several times a day!

Noted you live in Australia you poor sod (G'day from a fellow Aussie)... shipping costs must be horrendous! (for everything except World in Flames!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Atraxrobustus wrote:
He must thave a big conveyer belt coming straight fron the Post Office...we only get one delivery a day AND we have to go into town to pick up parcels AND what's he playing at getting so many games at once then gloating about it the sadist AND anyway why haven't I got MY PM Deluxe yet...it's not fair I tell you!!

you are missing out its verrrry pretty.
http://meshtime.com/2011/07/17/proud-monster-mea-culpa-2/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:

you are missing out its verrrry pretty.
http://meshtime.com/2011/07/17/proud-monster-mea-culpa-2/

Love it! A G(L)oat-er, not a rare species around here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
sticazzi, my friend! Congrats on the succulent loot! You will be missed, but a wargamer's gotta do what a wargamer's gotta do.

p.s. I notice you have your games shipped at work, not at home... wife has anything to do with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

So I would like to say a fond farewell to all of you because I am declaring my hermit-ship for the next season or two!
I am now officially unavailable for the rest of the year! What a good wargaming day this turned out to be!)

I officially propose to fine him in case he's back before the year is out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, at least not the reason you're thinking about! My wife and I are rarely at home during business hours, our maid is timid about opening the door to strangers (even the mail-man) so I always get them to ship the games to work.

Another reason is because my billing address on the credit card is also my work and makes for a smoother sale, when your shipping and billing address are the same.

One last thing... I have trained my wife to not care about my boardgame buying habits... its a lot better than my old camera/lens buying habit when it comes to my bank account!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Garfink wrote:

deal! I think he has good intentions but he may also find some incentive useful. How about Eric gives up one of the games he just got each time he is back before playing them all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Garfink wrote:

What a deliciously evil idea! (I hope you don't mean it, you know the clout you have around here!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:

deal! I think he has good intentions but he may also find some incentive useful. How about Eric gives up one of the games he just got each time he is back before playing them all?

You opportunistic capitalist vulture, you!

On an even brighter note: I have arrange 2 full days on the 30 & 31/July to play through a full game of Dai Senso ... can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
Lucky for me the post office is almost literally next door and they deliver overseas (space consuming) parcels several times a day!

Noted you live in Australia you poor sod (G'day from a fellow Aussie)... shipping costs must be horrendous! (for everything except World in Flames!)

Postage rates are high but I'm used to them now and just treat them as a fact of life and part of the price of living in a great place...I've found that postage from the States where most stuff comes from is not too bad...the most onerous rates I've found are Canadian oddly enough...I think their postal sevice must be run by Ned Kelly...

An upside is because your mates in China want all our iron ore and coal we largely missed out on the recent global economic meltdown so the Aussie dollar is really strong compared to the Greenback in fact above parity so my money goes a bit further...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Postage rates are high but I'm used to them now and just treat them as a fact of life and part of the price of living in a great place...I've found that postage from the States where most stuff comes from is not too bad...the most onerous rates I've found are Canadian oddly enough...I think their postal sevice must be run by Ned Kelly...

An upside is because your mates in China want all our iron ore and coal we largely missed out on the recent global economic meltdown so the Aussie dollar is really strong compared to the Greenback in fact above parity so my money goes a bit further...

Tell me about it! I have been coaxing my parents (who still lives in Kew, Victoria) to sell their home and come live with me in Hong Kong and convert their dollars to Hong Kong dollars (which is pegged to the US$)! Instant profit & cushy retirement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a coincidence I was born in St.George's hospital Kew back when it was still a hospital...I think it's something else now like a nursing home for old people or something like that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,

I'm sorry - I can understand it from a psychological point - but I think you made these things up to make us envious or something (how childish... (read this with British accent).

But declaring these things here on the Geek I take the burden, declare myself as the BGG-wargames-inspector and come down to your place to see if it is true (you receive a separate PM about where to send my ticket). You have a separate bedroom? Fill the fridge with coffeine-drinks and a few beer.

If it is true - and since I'm there we can play some of the games... laugh

No honest:

Good taste of games. Especially the first package is on my wishlist too.

Do you know the old PM? Would be interested in how they changed the rules (Compass did not call it a "reprint" but and "re-doing" or something similar).

Also your opinion about TK and DS would be highly appreciated.

Have fun.

BTW: Didn't you promise some month ago to change your Avatar again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Eric,

I'm sorry - I can understand it from a psychological point - but I think you made these things up to make us envious or something (how childish... (read this with British accent).

But declaring these things here on the Geek I take the burden, declare myself as the BGG-wargames-inspector and come down to your place to see if it is true (you receive a separate PM about where to send my ticket). You have a separate bedroom? Fill the fridge with coffeine-drinks and a few beer.

If it is true - and since I'm there we can play some of the games... laugh

No honest:

Good taste of games. Especially the first package is on my wishlist too.

Do you know the old PM? Would be interested in how they changed the rules (Compass did not call it a "reprint" but and "re-doing" or something similar).

Also your opinion about TK and DS would be highly appreciated.

Have fun.

BTW: Didn't you promise some month ago to change your Avatar again?

Those first four games are those that I normally avoid... remember awhile ago, I asked you (and others here) about playable monsters? Since then I've played a couple. I haven't played the old Proud Monster to compare but I have played the 2nd version of Totaler Kreig, so I will give you my impression, once I have one.

The one impression I have already about TK and DS is the maps are BEAUTIFUL to behold! I will give you guys an AAR at the end of the month on DS.

I also remember wanting to VISIT YOU and your rather SIZABLE and PROUD collection!!! I remember something about moving in with you... You are most welcome to do an inspection! The spare room is prep and DS is on the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I was as cool as you. Swearing off BGG in the interest of actual fun and boardgaming is nigh heretical though. Maybe there could be some kind of happy medium where you don't read any of the threads before posting. Or better yet, post up lots of reviews, photos, and sessions of your "withdrawal" into wargaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Eric. Have a lot of fun!

I should do what you're doing, too. I got a LOT of games in the past few months (not to mention my tons of older ones), but seem to spend more time here at BGG than playing. The trouble is, I come here to check on a rule or look for errata or play aids, and the next thing I know, the sun is coming up and it's time to go to sleep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
Congratulations, Eric. Have a lot of fun!

I should do what you're doing, too. I got a LOT of games in the past few months (not to mention my tons of older ones), but seem to spend more time here at BGG than playing. The trouble is, I come here to check on a rule or look for errata or play aids, and the next thing I know, the sun is coming up and it's time to go to sleep!

It happens the same with me Judy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens to EVERYBODY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll be missed. Best wishes with your games.

Nevertheless you might need to check BGG for rules clarifications. Most wargames comes with those nasty erratas or rules ambiguities. Or maybe you'll want to check one of those subtle strategy articles. But once on the forums how could you resist to enquire about your friends around here

The BGG curse is more powerfull than the elder signs goo

See you soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.