Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Richard,

First let me say that I received this set tonight and overall I love it. Great quality sculpts and really interesting Hero Abilities. However, I do find the Captain of the Guard's Military Strategist ability confusing and wondering if you wouldn't mind clarifying?

The card reads:

"Military Strategist
When drawing Darkness Speads Cards at the end of the Captain's turn, choose a color-the maximum number of minions that can be placed at locations of that color is 1.
Note Purple may not be chosen."

I can interpret this card a couple ways:
Since it is worded "When drawing" not "Before drawing" am I correct to assume
the Captain first draws and looks at a darkness spreads card. Then he decides
what color can have no more then 1 minion placed at a location?
If the answer is yes to this, how does that work in late war? Does he get to
make a new decision as to the color after looking at each card before resolving it?

Or does the Captain make his decision before drawing darkness spread card(s)?

Finally, in the unlikely but possible event of an outbreak causing the same location to receive a 2nd minion, I'm assuming the 1 minion restriction would apply as well?

Thanks,

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question

IMO there are two possibilities:
1) The player needs to guess. E.g. he says "Green" then during the Darkness Spreads phase no more than 1 Minion can be placed on any Green locations.If no Green Locations get Minions his strategy "failed"

2) The player can decide on the colour after drawing the first Darkness Spreads card. E.g. there are two locations on the card; a Red location that gets 1 Minion and a Green location that gets 2. If he picks either Red or Green then during the Darkness Spreads phase no more than 1 Minion can be placed on any locations of that colour. He can see which colour causes an Overrun. What the colours of the Locations on the second Darkness Spreads card are (late in the war) is unknown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The player must choose before drawing. The statement was just identifying the act.

So, prior to drawing the Darkness Spreads Card the player chooses a color (Red, Black, Green or Blue) and flips the card over. If 2 minions were to be added to the color drawn, only 1 is placed - the other defeated by picket guards he placed in the area. At least that is the thematic idea.

And you are correct that no more than 1 Minion can be placed on that color regardless of how it would occur. This is why Purple may not be chosen - he cannot stop troops from attacking Monarch City.

Thanks - hope this clears up the question.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Gurrola
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The captain's ability as your wrote it says color locations. Since it doesn't say if the same location comes up again put less or none...I just assume 1 is put again for that location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Follow up question if I may Richard:

As I see it his ability either causes:

A) A max of one minion to be added each time minions are called to be added to a location of the color chosen. So in late war for example, the Captain chooses Green locations. If Whispering woods comes up on the first two darkness spreads cards you add one each time.

B) No more then a total of 1 minion added at any time to each location
of the chosen color. So in late war if the same location of the chosen color
comes up twice, you add one the first time and no minions the second time.
Also if any outbreaks occur into a location of the chosen color that already received 1 minion during this phase none would be added.

To Armando's point about the wording of locations as opposed to a location I agree it's probably A

***Note, I had 2 posted follow up questions and re-edited it down to one which is why Armando's reply appears above my comments!

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is B - No more then a total of 1 minion added at any time to each location of the chosen color. So in late war if the same location of the chosen color comes up twice, you add one the first time and no minions the second time. Also if any outbreaks occur into a location of the chosen color that already received 1 minion during this phase none would be added.

The reason the card states Locations is that some cards have 2 Locations of the same color on them. Only 1 Minion wold be placed on each Location.

Thanks - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Crystal clear now.

Thanks again Richard.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.