Chris ORegan
United Kingdom
BROMLEY
Kent
flag msg tools
This play session record is not as deep as I'd like it to be as it is being written from memory. Nevertheless I think it deserves to be shared as it was very unique in its set up and most especially speed of play!

The game was played during increasingly popular Tuesday night meet London on Board group on 19th July. The set up for the game was as follows:

5 players (yes FIVE), with the Horned Rat expansion being added partially. Only the Horned Rat god was added while the Old World cards and Chaos Cards from the expansion pack were not used during this session. This is within the rules of using the expansion as it can be used in this way as a gentle insertion into what is already a complex game.

Duration: An astonishingly quick 1.5 hours

Tactics used:

Khorne The Khorne player (me!) took the phase 'blood for the blood god' to new heights by completely ignoring domination and corruption of regions. Everyone had to die at the hand of the blood god and die they did.....kind of.

Nurgle The pestilence spreading Nurgle player did his best to follow the tactic of declaring a zone for himself and spreading from it in a similar way to a disease.

Tzeentch As ever drawn to magic, the player controlling Tzeentch (or 'Dave' as we couldn't pronounce his name) focussed heavily on corruption of regions to gain victory points.

Slaanesh The player was drawn like a moth to a flame where ever a noble was placed on the game board. This put him on a collision path with Dave, where upon they spent a lot of time fighting between themselves in the western part of the Old World.

The Horned Rat The newcomer to the conquest and destruction of the Old World, the player controlling their destiny took delight in massing forces in key locations to ensure his threat dial was turned and hence dominance was assured.

Session Record

Khorne started off with occupying the Badlands and seeking to spread a trail of destruction across the Old World from the east. This was not wise as the other gods quickly established bases to the west and south, as far away from Khorne's minions as possible, the cowards! I say all, for the Horned Rat took hold of a neighbouring territory for Skaven were there and he needed to dominate it in order to ensure his threat dial was turned. Thus started a fierce battle between Khorne and the Horned Rat.

The erruption of violence between the minions of the two gods was swift as it was suprising. Both Khorne and the Horned Rat spawned Great Daemons much to the consternation of the players of the other three gods. Such an expensive and early display of aggression was not expected and it could only end with a lot of dead minions, and it did.

Both sides suffered massive casualties, but Khorne was satisfied that he'd inflicted enough damage to get a turn on his threat dial, his ticket to victory. The other players were not happy with this initial outcome, but they nevertheless all managed to turn their dials this turn as well.

The Old World attempted to stem the flow of the influence of the Chaos gods by unleashing heroes upon the land. These can be somewhat troublesome as they can kill Daemons and minions alike with ease and no god can stop them. This however did nothing to stop the war of attrition between the rat men and the followers of the blood god. For once again they set against one another with Nurgle even getting caught up in the melee as he attempted to assist with the corruption of the Empire.

Eventually a pattern started to evolve that became somewhat unpredictable and unsettling. The Horned Rat's minions would occupy a zone and begin to multiply. With thier combat ratings power level acting as corruption, they quickly ruined territory after territory and as such gained many victory points [EDIT - This was an error, The Horned Rat cannot contribute to corruption, they can only capitalise on other's ruination of areas]. Slaanesh did much to exploit this by moving into areas the rat men ignored, leaving him to only battle Dave for the most part. Nurgle meanwhile found himself squeezed between Khorne and the Horned Rat, both of whom fought across the land, ruined or not throughout the play session.

During the penultimate phase of the session, Khorne upgraded his Bloodletters to give them first strike capability in an attempt to reduce his losses. Sadly this didn't pay off due to some fairly poor dice rolls!

As the 4th land fell to the corrupted influence of the rat men, it was clear who the victor was going to be. At 45 points, victory was within sight for the Horned Rat and his army of vermin, although Slaanesh still had a few tricks up his sleeve.

Khorne attempted a last ditch attempt at thwarting the corrupting influence of the verminous followers of the Horned Rat by sending in 4 bloodletters into a territory filled with his henchmen. The attack failed however, with only one rat falling, much to the amazement and sadness of the Khorne player (dice hate me).

From this failed attempt at thwarting the rat men's ability to corrupt at such a rapid rate [Edit in error! See above], the fifth region fell into ruin and the Horned Rat racked up 54 points. Slaanesh almost took him over with 51 points in a late flurry of domination and judicous chaos card placing, but it was not enough.

Summary

Everyone playing was surprised at how quickly areas became corrupted by the Horned Rat god player [EDIT - Now knowing where the play went wrong, I can see why this happened]. This is due to his power of using combat ratings power level for corruption as opposed to tokens. The only way to counter this is to kill his army of minions, which puts him in direct conflict with the Khorne player. This also leaves the other three players to spread their corrupting influence as they see fit with little hinderance. Provided they don't clash with the Horned Rat and Khorne players as the Nurgle player did in this play session.

All of the players enjoyed the game and vowed to play again, only with the full expansion being utilised. I shall write that session up once it happens. Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kropotkin wrote:
With thier combat ratings acting as corruption, they quickly ruined territory after territory and as such gained many victory points.
Everyone playing was surprised at how quickly areas became corrupted by the Horned Rat god player.

I am not sure you got that quite right. First, summoning costs count as corruption, not combat values. Second, the Horned Rat can never ruin regions by himself, he has to rely on others to ruin regions and then steals the VP as he compares present corruption of others with the summoning costs of his figures. But the Rat can never ruin regions by himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kropotkin wrote:
During the penultimate phase of the session, Khorne upgraded his Bloodletters to give them first strike capability

Also, when you play with the Rat, you play their Morrslieb set of cards (they have no other), so all other gods should use Morrslieb cards as well.

Which cards did you use, expansion ones or base game ones ? The quote indicates that you were using base game upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:
Also, when you play with the Rat, you play their Morrslieb set of cards (they have no other), so all other gods should use Morrslieb cards as well.

Which cards did you use, expansion ones or base game ones ? The quote indicates that you were using base game upgrades.

You don't have to use Morrslieb set of chaos/upgrade cards for the main for even when using the Horned Rat. There is no should or shouldn't, it's left to the players discretion.

From the rules:

Before starting a game of Chaos in The old World, players must
decide which set of cards they will use: the base game set or the
Morrslieb set. Whichever set is chosen, all players must use the Chaos decks and upgrade cards from that set. Players cannot mix and
match cards from both sets, nor can one player use his Morrslieb set
while the other players use their base game set. The only exception
to this is the Horned Rat player. He always uses the Morrslieb set,
even when the group uses the base game set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
The only exception to this is the Horned Rat player. He always uses the Morrslieb set, even when the group uses the base game set.

Thanks for updating me on this. I didnt remember that exception
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:

This isn't correct, the Horned Rat plays his deck with either the base game cards or the Morrsleib cards. (See Morrsleib Chaos Card Decks section of rules p2.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew. I already got it thanks You'll have to be quicker with your posts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit! I should stop looking up the rules before I post!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris ORegan
United Kingdom
BROMLEY
Kent
flag msg tools
Umbratus wrote:
Kropotkin wrote:
With thier combat ratings acting as corruption, they quickly ruined territory after territory and as such gained many victory points.
Everyone playing was surprised at how quickly areas became corrupted by the Horned Rat god player.

I am not sure you got that quite right. First, summoning costs count as corruption, not combat values. Second, the Horned Rat can never ruin regions by himself, he has to rely on others to ruin regions and then steals the VP as he compares present corruption of others with the summoning costs of his figures. But the Rat can never ruin regions by himself.

He never did. He was always sharing corruption with another player, he just mob-handed the attacks on each territory to the point where he was in the majority when it came to corruption. If it is summoning costs as you say, then we may have been in error there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Gardner
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not sure that everyone has got the mechanic quite correct. To clarify:

* Horned Rat never places corruption
* Horned Rat never contributes to ruination. A region is only ruined when the total amount of corruption tokens (plus warpstone tokens) reaches or exceeds 12
* If a region is ruined during the Domination phase, and the Horned Rat has any figures in the region, they score VPs as though they had placed corruption there that turn. That is, they score the ruiner VPs
* When a ruined region is scored during the End phase, when determining which player has the highest corruption in the region, the Horned Rat is considered to have corruption equal to the power cost of all his figures in the region. This is the only time when Horned Rat figures are counted as corruption.

So, some examples:

* During the Domination phase, Nurgle places 3 Corruption, which is added to the existing 7 Slaanesh corruption already present. There are also 6 Horned Rat Cultists and a Rat Ogre in the region. The region is NOT ruined; currently, it only has 10 of the necessary 12 corruption for ruination.

* In the Domination phase the following round, Nurgle places 2 more corruption. This brings the corruption total in the region to 12; 7 Slaanesh, and 5 Nurgle. The region is ruined. Nurgle scores the ruiner VPs, as they placed corruption this phase. Slaanesh does not. Horned Rat also scores ruiner VPs, as they have a unit present when the region was ruined.

* In the End phase, the points for the region are scored. Nurgle has 5 corruption. Slaanesh has 7 corruption. Horned Rat is considered to have 8 corruption; 6 for his 6 Cultists (1 power cost each). and 2 for his 1 Rat Ogre (2 power cost). Horned Rat gets the 1st place VPs, and Slaanesh gets the 2nd place.

Hopefully those examples make it clearer; please feel free to correct me if I have made any mistakes, or ask questions if you feel anything needs to be clarified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris ORegan
United Kingdom
BROMLEY
Kent
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification Donald, it's appreciated. Looking back on the game we played, I do believe we made the error of including the Horned Rat players pieces as contributing to the corruption and thus causing areas to become ruined. The next time we play we will prevent that from happening.

Such is the nature of CitOW that there is always something you're bound to miss.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats what I sniffed. Donald got into the more lengthy explanation where I didnt want to bother you once more. So it paid out at least. I often post session reports on games also to find out about rules we played wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris ORegan
United Kingdom
BROMLEY
Kent
flag msg tools
Umbratus wrote:
Thats what I sniffed. Donald got into the more lengthy explanation where I didnt want to bother you once more. So it paid out at least. I often post session reports on games also to find out about rules we played wrong

It's one of the many reasons I do them. I've amended the OP to reflect the comments made here and will be adding some pictures too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.