Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
Looking forward to bullying off for the final chukka?
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I love naval battles. And I love naval miniatures.

I was originally looking at building a GHQ micronaut set to run a Midway campaign. In all honesty I snubbed the whole Axis & Allies collectible mini thing (mostly from my past experience with Magic and HeroClix). But now I'm really enticed by the revised War at Sea game. I'm not a hardcore historical gamer but I like the idea of being able to field semi-accurate historical scenarios. It looks like my only hope of even getting near the needed minis for Midway (with Axis & Allies War at Sea) is to chase down singles from brokers and eBay. The total cost easily overshadows building the needed fleets and task forces from GHQ stock (minus the labor of construction and painting).

Will Hasbro/Wizards/AH re-release ships from discontinued booster sets or should I not even buy in and look elsewhere?

I like the idea of the game. It looks like something I can get my son to play. I know that if I start, I'll buy into the whole boosters by the case thing. I just don't want to look back and think ($2,000+) later that I wished I had just gone pure historical with GHQ minis.

Thoughts?

Any consultation is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blair lafferty

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War At Sea: fantastic, underrated.

a playable, elegant minature simulation. highly recommended, especially since you've mentioned that you are a 'non-wargaming gamer'.

idea: buy the excellent starter set and play a few battles to see if its something you'd be interested in. the revised rules included in the set has made the game infinately more playable.

happy gaming!
tubbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatGodPan wrote:
War At Sea: fantastic, underrated.

a playable, elegant minature simulation. highly recommended, especially since you've mentioned that you are a 'non-wargaming gamer'.

idea: buy the excellent starter set and play a few battles to see if its something you'd be interested in. the revised rules included in the set has made the game infinately more playable.

happy gaming!
tubbs

I wouldn't say I'm a non-wargamer. I'd say that I'm enough of a war-gamer that I'm hesitant to enter into War at Sea because I'll want to create semi-accurate historical scenarios (meaning that I'd like them to be as accurate as the game will allow). I enjoy games like Close Action, Flat Top, ASL and the more recent Combat Commander: Pacific. My hesitation is the limits of what units are available (in print) and which are retired (out of print).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Park
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Certainly a tough time to get into the game as far as the availability of the iconic ships goes - I really hope that WotC will introduce a permanently in-stock 'classics' set featuring a selection of the most iconic ships already released plus the most common aircraft. The fact that boosters for the first three sets are now almost impossible to find is a real barrier to new players.

As for re-releasing ships - the next set (out at the end of October) will include the first of these (Bismarck) so presumably more will be coming. Since you mentioned Midway, here's a quick breakdown of the availability of the main carriers involved (goes without saying that the oldest are going to be pretty likely to be re-released) :

Enterprise - Was in 1st set, so one of the toughest/most expensive to get here
Yorktown - Was in 2nd set (Task Force). People are using as a proxy for Hornet so there will be an influx on the market when Hornet is released.
Hornet - Not yet available - set after next is likely I think.

Akagi - Was in 1st set, so one of the toughest/most expensive to get here
Kaga - Was in the previous set (Set V) so available.
Hiryu - Not yet available - set after next is likely I think.
Soryu - Was in the 3rd set (Flank Speed), so tough to find. People are likely using as a proxy for Hiryu so same situation as Enterprise.

There's also a problem with getting carrier aircraft, since the last two sets haven't had any carrier aircraft for the top three nations! We already know that there will be in the next set though, so this situation will improve.

Couple of recommendations for getting those old sets : first up, have a look around the bricks-and-mortar games stores in your area, ask the staff to check in their store-rooms - there may well be some hidden gems gathering dust back there! I'd also suggest keeping an eye on Forumini, since there's been a couple of 'newbie' unit giveaways there now. Unfortunately the latest one just closed for submissions U__U
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great info! That's very helpful. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering the same sort of thing.

I haven't really played naval games at all but always had an interest.

After a few trial games of WaS I have decided this may be for me.

I like the miniatures and the game system while not hyper-realitic is very playable and concentrates more on the fighting rather then the 'driving the boat'.

After a few more plays I hope to write a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, from a war gaming stand point, I see it as not being worth it to even start collecting War at Sea (buy in) at this point unless there is some assurance that we'll see re-releases of some of the historic/banner ships.

If Hasbro/Wizards/AH wants to new customers/players they're going to have to re-release many of the ships from the first edition and Task Force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Park
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think that the confirmed Bismarck re-release in the next set is a good indication that we can expect to see similar re-releases of the most iconic ships slipped into future sets. I also would not rule out a 'classics' set as they did this with the land game.

I should also point out that a lot of the models in each set are re-prints - not of the same ship, but of the same class (around 15/40 I believe). Forumini has scans available of all of the cards released so far (and lots of home-brew unreleased unit cards too), so it is relatively easy to have a ship from one of the available sets represent a hard-to-get ship of the same class. Either repaint the model or use ship bases with names on to differentiate :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Leaman
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Baah!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinnentai wrote:
I should also point out that a lot of the models in each set are re-prints - not of the same ship, but of the same class (around 15/40 I believe). Forumini has scans available of all of the cards released so far (and lots of home-brew unreleased unit cards too), so it is relatively easy to have a ship from one of the available sets represent a hard-to-get ship of the same class. Either repaint the model or use ship bases with names on to differentiate :-)

Awesome! Just ordered a starter, 4 Flank Speed and 6 Operation Zebra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Park
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice - best to snap up those Flank Speed boosters while they're still out there! *Legal disclaimer : Shinnentai takes no responsibility for loss of family or home resulting from plasti-crack addiction*

There's some really nice units in Flank Speed - here are my highlights, limited to 5 or I'd jabber on all day XD :

Helldivers - hands-down the most powerful dive-bombers in the game. Even without bonuses they're rolling 12 dice vs damaged ships. Add in Expert bonuses available on most carriers, plus Shadow the target with a Catalina and that can become 15 dice - as powerful as the main guns on most BBs!

B6N2 "Jill" - Japan's best torp bomber. Has the unusual ability to launch torps at range 1 - out of range of most ships' AA! Nice tactical challenge here too : knowing when to launch (less) torps at range 1, and when to go in for the kill at range 0, for more torps, but facing AA.

Nagato - the best Japanese BB that isn't a Yamato class. Nice looking ship and was Admiral Yamamoto's flagship for Pearl Harbour.

Intrepid - slightly overshadowed by Essex in Set V, but still a nice big carrier able to base 4 sqns, and torpedo defense makes it really tough to take out for a carrier.

Soryu - one of the Midway carriers, has some great SAs (including the neato 'Suprise Raid'). Low armour ratings so kinda squishy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex LT
msg tools
If you still have questions, go to
www.miniaturebattleguide.com and download all the free stuff.
This includes tips on fleets and even some beginner information for choosing units and countries.

Alex friend and foe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.