Ticket to Ride» Forums » General

Subject: iPad app: how to create a private game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I create a passworded game for four players in the iPad app? I see no "create game" button under the "private" tab. If we create a public game, inevitably strangers jump in.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer my own question: only the PC version lets you create a passworded private game. With the iPad, you just have to issue separate invitations to each player you want to join. That's easy enough, especially if you have the other players on your friends list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selah Fairport
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
You have to have someone create the private/passworded game on the PC.

Or use GameCenter on the iPad to invite other iPad users.

You can also add people to your "Buddy" tab in the game by selecting their name from the lobby, which creates an "Add Buddy" button. This way you can invite people who don't have a GameCenter account.

So, if I want to play one GameCenter user and one PC user, I ask them both to go to the Lobby. I add them to my Buddy list if they aren't already there. Then I go to the Buddy tab and click one of their names (which should be bolded because they are available in the Lobby). Then I spect the game and send an invite. Then I appear at the table waiting for them to join. Quickly open your Buddy tab back up and invite the next person. If you wait too long it will not let you send more invitations to other players (which is annoying).

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, TW. Very helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selah Fairport
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm hoping this gets fixed in an update. My friends and I would like to create a private game, then invite in one or two public players to fill out a game. Since that's not an option we either just play the Swiss map, or create public games but then run the risk of annoying people when we ask them to leave because we are waiting on someone specific :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Robinson
United States
Williamston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
You'd think they'd fix this. The Android version can create private games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an epic fail!

It should be easier to play a game with a friend.

I found this ways on Days of wonder forums:

Quote:

A friend and I were battling this same problem tonight as well. We finally figured out how to get a private game to launch, but I'm pretty unimpressed with the way this is designed, if it is indeed operating as designed:

Player 1 selects the Game Center tab in Online, selects Player 2's name and invites them to a game. On the next screen, Player 1 has to press start before the invite is actually sent. Now here's the key: when Player 2 gets a notification of the game invite popping up briefly at the top of his device, he must tap on that notification before it disappears! If Player 2 does so in time, then a screen pops up that shows the two players and their connection status, until both are listed as connected and the game can start. But if Player 2 doesn't click on the notification bar before it vanishes, there appears to be no place within the game itself to accept a multiplayer invite! Clicking on the notification itself is the ONLY way.

If this is really how it was designed to work, then whoever came up with the design ought to seriously rethink their vocation.

Source: http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=27751&start=0

Please Days of wonder, fix this! It's a basic feature!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.