Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked for a book on American Civil War Naval combat on Amazon, but most of the books have few or no reviews, and they are unusually expensive. I want something that is going to discuss the major campaigns and operations, the technology in use, and offer some assessment of each side's performance. Maps and illustrations are nice, but I can get those elsewhere if I must. An encyclopedia or tome is too much, but I think that the typical Osprey book might leave something to be desired; 250 - 400 pages is likely the right size for my level of interest. I appreciate your book recommendations on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Reign of Iron: The Story of the First Battling Ironclads, the Monitor and the Merrimack by James L. Nelson

West Wind, Flood Tide: The Battle of Mobile Bay by Jack Friend

These are the two best books on the subject of ironclads that I have read. While they only cover specifically one battle they do cover tactics and technology in general. Reign of Iron also goes into detail about the development of ironclads as it covers not just the battle but the development of the vessels. West Wind, Flood Tide is out of print right now and expensive if you do find a copy but Reign of Iron can be had on Amazon dirt cheap so I would recommend Reign of Iron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig Symonds had written a couple of books on this topic which have received glowing reviews.

The Civil War at Sea looks the best, but even a used copy is almost $30 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Sea-Reflections-Era/dp/02759...

Lincoln and His Admirals is cheaper, but not exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-His-Admirals-Craig-Symonds/dp/...

I'm glad I read your post, because now I am going to find a copy of Lincoln and His Admirals for myself!

FYI -- have you tried to find any books at your local public library? It's a much cheaper alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
I am going to find a copy of Lincoln and His Admirals for myself!

I just finished that one a few weeks ago. It gives a good overview and an especially good look at the men involved--their peculiarities and how their minds worked.

I've read several ACW naval books in the past year, but I wasn't impressed enough to recommend any of them.

Wolf of the Deep is a pretty recent one that tells the story of Raphael Semmes (of CSS Alabama fame). I found it pretty good up to a point. Toward the end, the author seems to have wasted a chapter damning the man he was writing about, probably for fear that readers would otherwise think he was praising him and the cause he served. Guess it's still hard to write about the ACW without taking sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for Under Two Flags.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Two-Flags-American-Bluejacket/dp...

Then go play Yaquinto's The Ironclads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By Sea and by River: The Naval History of the Civil War, by Bern Anderson is a pretty good survey of the topic. It has been years since I read it, but I recall it being especially detailed on combined land-sea operations and riverine operations. My copy is a 1989 paperback reprint; the book was originally published in 1962.ISBN 0-306-80367-4. 303 papes. Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.