Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A translation of my given names.
badge
I hope to replace the photo with a drawing of my own.
mbmbmbmbmb
How would I reference or inline comments that haven't been posted? This typically applies to comments I've made, but have not posted.

For example, in a wish list comment, how can I reference or inline another comment? I can copy the text from my more general game comment field to my wish list comment field. However, this means that I have to make changes in two places, when I want to modify something. Ideally I'd be able to inline display the other text (like a quote), and add more wish list specific text.

I know how to reference games and articles, as I can use [gameid=... or [url=... I can find (posted) item numbers by holding the mouse over Posted fields.

I found articles like Tricks of the Geek and Who? What? Where? When? Why? but Mostly How? I couldn't find the answers to my questions, although I did find other useful things.

I also used Google to search boardgamegeek with queries like
Quote:
site:boardgamegeek.com inline comment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can link (reference) to threads, replies. GLs, GL items, comments etc. by putting their ID numbers into the appropriate Insert Geek Link pulldown--each of these requires using a different pull-down entry/square-bracket code word. I don't think it will stop you from linking a non-public GL item or comment, but a non-existent something won't link, such as, as I write this, GL item 1,760,000 Item for Geeklist "Herberts Essen 2011 Watchlist" . I presume this will link properly once the item is created, whether public or not.

You cannot inline text from references, though this has been requested before. (One problem is that the comment could be edited to be very much larger than you expected when you inlined it.)

Comments in personal game collections cannot be linked, as far as I know. There's a substantial difference of opinion between a number of users who think collection comments are extremely valuable and worthy of being thumbed and tipped, and those who consider them ephemeral chicken-scratchings--Admin being in the latter camp. (This is not unlike the "Tags solve all problems" crowd and those who consider tags just too much trouble to use.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
You cannot inline text from references, though this has been requested before. (One problem is that the comment could be edited to be very much larger than you expected when you inlined it.)
I might have been looking for a long time Thank you for the information. It has been quite useful.

Quote:
Comments in personal game collections cannot be linked, as far as I know. There's a substantial difference of opinion between a number of users who think collection comments are extremely valuable and worthy of being thumbed and tipped, and those who consider them ephemeral chicken-scratchings--Admin being in the latter camp.
Most of my own comments are probably only useful within my own context

Quote:
(This is not unlike the "Tags solve all problems" crowd and those who consider tags just too much trouble to use.)

"What are tags?" was my first thought. Then I found that very question in Who? What? Where? When? Why? but Mostly How?. I imagine I wouldn't be in either camp. In gmail I find labels (essentially tags) to be personally useful, as I can be internally consistent. Given that tags in bgg are completely public, I suspect that the associated items would be surprising or unreliable (unless also filtered by user).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Comments in personal game collections cannot be linked, as far as I know.

They can, but only by a workaround. See my comment on Clans, and my (currently unsubstantial) comments on the games in the Wings of War series.

The trick is to perform a search in your collection (or wishlist) to isolate the comments you want to link to, then do a BGG custom link (first in the dropdown list) to the Permalink for that search result. Not totally foolproof, but close, and almost always close enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

They can, but....

A very good point. You can link any page you can percent encode, with a custom link or an URL (that points back to BGG). It's getting just the comment that's the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viranga Ratnaike
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

They can, but only by a workaround. See my comment on Clans, and my (currently unsubstantial) comments on the games in the Wings of War series.

The trick is to perform a search in your collection (or wishlist) to isolate the comments you want to link to, then do a BGG custom link (first in the dropdown list) to the Permalink for that search result. Not totally foolproof, but close, and almost always close enough.

Nice!

I can now create a link to the games I own and rate at least 8.1. However, I didn't find the drop down list, with "BGG custom link", on the page containing the search result.

Just clicking on Permalink placed: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/viranga?rankobj...|status|version|rating|bggrating|plays|comment|commands&minrating=8.1&geekranks=Board+Game+Rank&own=1&ff=1&subtype=boardgame into the browser's url field.

I manually replaced the | symbols with %7C This worked.

I tried the "Insert Geek Link" drop down list that comes with the entry form for a posting, and selected "Custom Link". That brought up a dialog box titled "Add Custom Link". I entered the url from the browser.

The resulting link [geekurl=/collection/user/viranga?rankobjecttype=subtype&rankobjectid=1&columns=title|status|version|rating|bggrating|plays|comment|commands&minrating=8.1&geekranks=Board+Game+Rank&own=1&ff=1&subtype=boardgame]the resulting link[/geekurl] still has the pipe symbols.

What am I doing wrong? I suspect I should be getting the url from somewhere else.

btw I have now used [geekurl=... instead of [url=... So thank you for that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. BGG should percent encode stuff automatically, but it doesn't.

The manually "de-piped" link

Quickquote to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. BGG should percent encode stuff automatically, but it doesn't.

I use Opera, which does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.