United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title of this session report is what my wife said to my dad after he called "Ra" two turns in a row when she was hoping that wouldn't happen... "Okay Mr. Ra-ey Pants." Ra is one of the games in my collection I've played the most, 45 times in fact. Yet, I hadn't played it in 2011 and I was starting to think that my 9 rating was a bit high. For my birthday (7/20), my dad, my brother, my wife and I played a four-player game of Ra and I would soon see if Ra lived up to the 9 rating I'd given it.

Early on, I had the chance to grab several different monument tiles for cheap while adding on some niles. I went for it. A situation came up where I could get a flood with a civ and I passed, not bidding my 4. Apparently, this surprised others at the table. But, I was pleased to pick up a flood tile with two niles and two different monuments (that I didn't already have) with that same 4 a few turns later. And, that set came with an unrest tile. I finished the round with zero civs and zero pharaohs. Tons of floods had gone out in the first round which was not good for me since I had a decent stack of niles in front of me.

When the first round ended, my brother was disappointed to have never spent his 13 sun, scoring just a couple of points. My dad was in the lead with around 10 points while my wife and I scored a few points each and I was nicely setup for monuments. I was feeling good about the situation.

During the second round, I added more monuments, getting a set of 3 of the same and diversifying to 6 different types altogether. I also added a god tile and 3 gold for some immediate scoring with 1 pharaoh to share the -2 with my brother. My dad had three floods at one point and was able to pick up a group of quality tiles with a drought that everyone else was trying to avoid. His monuments were stacking up nicely for him.

My wife stated earlier in the round that she was going to "Incan it" this round. This is what we call it when someone is all by themself at the end, flipping tiles and hoping for good tiles with no Ra tiles. It reminds us of the push-your-luck feel of Incan Gold. She did set herself up to "Incan it" with two remaining sun tiles. The first sun gained her an entire row of nice tiles. She could have claimed a few tiles with her second sun, but pushed it a bit too far and the Ra tiles filled up before she was able to get them. My brother gained 5 with three different civs and my wife picked up 10 with four different civs. I scored 9 points total in the second round; everyone else scored 5 or fewer points.

The third round went faster than the first two with several Ra tiles coming fast. I started the round with the 2, 4 and 6 sun tiles and I finished the round with the 1, 2 and 3 sun tiles. That is the lowest possible total and I did lose 5 points at the end; my brother picked up the +5... however, he failed to use either his 11 or 12 tile during the round. I finished with 12 nile tiles but no flood. I had a civ and three pharaohs which allowed me to share the -2 again. My monuments scored me 20 points though with 7 different types and one type with 4 of the same. My dad flooded his 5 or so niles in the final round and had a civ, won the pharaohs (for the third time) and scored a decent chunk of points with monuments. My brother finished pretty well considering he had failed to use two sun tiles during the game. My wife's third round did not go as well as she'd pushed to top my dad in pharaohs but it didn't happen.

Final scores were...
Dad: 42 points
Me: 38 points
Bro: 32 points
Wife: 26 points

This play of Ra reminded me why I've rated it a 9. For a relatively simple game, it really creates a lot of tension and each play often has a lot of twists that previous plays didn't. It's a quality game and one I'll be sure to keep playing through the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Mixemong
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbed cause I like the title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought if your all by yourself at the end of the round, the round ends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
I thought if your all by yourself at the end of the round, the round ends

Nope. According to the rules, these are the two ways an epoch can end (note the first one in bold text)...
Quote:
When the last player with face up suns uses his last sun and completes his turn, the epoch ends.

In addition, the epoch ends immediately, when the Ra track is full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.