United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just heard about Panic Station. My copy of The Thing and The Things arrived from Artscow last night and I hope to get this ... er...thing to the table within the next two weeks. But Panic Station sounds an awful lot like this game. I love both games' concept...has anyone played both? Comparisons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well for a few observations, PS has one player as a hidden enemy at the start, while one player IS known to be the thing in TT. Also, PS has a visual map and a more detailed item system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've gathered after obsessively checking the forums for the past three months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Panic Station, but it is on my list of games to try at Essen next month. However, I have read the rules.

My game (The THING) is a card and dice recreation of the film. You do not explore a nameless complex, rather follow a series of events/encounters that need to be overcome/completed - with only the first act being a rigid structure. The encounters all need different skills to bypass - each player having a different skill-set - some are 'boss' fights; one is an autopsy; another is reviewing evidence, and there are others.

During my game, players can and will decide who is in charge (and this changes many times), making critical decisions for the rest of the group. One of the events requires the 'El Capitan' to shoot dead one of the NPCs, for example.

And it is through player decisions and actions that the rest of the team start to form an opinion of who is infected and who is not. I believe my game to be more psychological, in that a life or death decision has to be made individually at the end of the game by each player - formed by the events and circumstance that have shaped the game up until that point.

Players and NPCs are also allocated to tasks, such as radioing for help, or repairing the helicopter. There are multiple ways to win for both 'teams'.

The initial Thing player is not only trying to assimilate the Outpost team, he is also trying to construct an alien saucer. His cards allow him to mess with every aspect of the players actions - he might even build himself an ice-cavern to further extend his plans, or attempt to send a Thing-husky a thousand miles to the coast.

Also, my game has the 'tool shed.' This is where the team must decide which NPC to imprison, effectively shutting them out of the game to the near end.

The THING accommodates 2-6 players, rather than 4-6.

Basically, the two games have a wide gulf between how they operate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.