Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
These aren't free board or card games, but they can be a step in that direction or a nice middle ground if you're looking for something like that for education.

I work as an instructional technology coordinator in a K - 12 school district. Lately I've been doing a lot of work with Promethean's interactive whiteboards and related equipment. Over the past year I started translating some of my game designs that have promise for educational use into classroom activities. Generally they amount to letting the students rank items as a class or pick their favorite choice from those submitted. They can be played as games, but they're best as a fun way to get discussion started. They have some benefit as formative assessment too.

I put a blog up today that will contain links, information and related ramblings as I continue this. Please take a look at the free games, use them, pass them on to other educators or give me any thoughts that you might have about the project.

http://classroomgamesandtech.blogspot.com/

Also, I've been in touch with another designer about converting some of his games too. If you have ideas you think would work well, please let me know. None of this is for money directly, but it is a good way to have students enjoy your work and it can bring some exposure too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I posted two more games this week.

I made an activity called This or That? which is based loosely on my party game Take Your Pick. I have permission from SimplyFun to use the cards. This is a great classroom activity for the start of the year for students to get to know each other. It has been very well received when I tested it in a few classes in different grade levels.

And as I posted on the Nim page...

I know Nim doesn't get much love here at BGG, but I had a lot of success with it as a classroom activity when I taught high school math. I made a free activity for Promethean interactive whiteboards and posted it here:

http://www.prometheanplanet.com/en-us/Resources/Item/92400/n...

It includes my variation called Ximo which causes each setup to be different due to random powers of the "dots" that players remove.

For interested educators, my blog for all my free classroom games can be found here: http://classroomgamesandtech.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martinez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your excellent blog! I will be checking its content. Thank you for sharing your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.