Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I've failed as a BGG husband but according to my wife I am just a game snob... because I belittled her new game purchase. Allow me to explain.

Over the years my wife has generally "tolerated" my boardgame obsession. I've introduced her to several of my games and she plays them on occasion with me and my friends. She finds then enjoyable but usually prefers to spend her time in other pursuits. She understands my fascination with the hobby and approves of the time I spend gaming with friends, less so though the amount of games I've collected in the hall closet but that's a topic for another conversation.

The crux of the issue lies in my wife's purchase last night of a new game which she sought out based on the recommendation of her friend. She became miffed at me after I denigrated her selection. What she purchased was LCR/Left Center Right the Card game.

As its name suggests this version substitutes the dice in the original with cards that perform the same function. Now the only random element is the shuffling of cards to start the game.

I pointed out that this game was really just an exercise in flipping over cards until one person lost their stack of coins. Then the name calling began, starting with snob and continuing with smug, "too good for this game", etc. When I further demonstrated that there were no decisions to make in the game she still insisted on playing it to see for herself how the game "played".

She truly thinks this game would be fun for her family to play when they visit and admittedly, I agree. We already play Phase 10 with them which they enjoy and which I tolerate for the sake of our company. I've tried introducing her family to Ticket to Ride and Botswana before but it left them unimpressed. I'll grudgingly play this game when we gather together again but I won't enjoy it which is why I feel like I've failed as a BGG husband. I don't want to play my wife's games. I just want her to play my games. Is that wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
I feel like I've failed as a BGG husband but according to my wife I am just a game snob... because I belittled her new game purchase. Allow me to explain.

Over the years my wife has generally "tolerated" my boardgame obsession. I've introduced her to several of my games and she plays them on occasion with me and my friends. She finds then enjoyable but usually prefers to spend her time in other pursuits. She understands my fascination with the hobby and approves of the time I spend gaming with friends, less so though the amount of games I've collected in the hall closet but that's a topic for another conversation.

The crux of the issue lies in my wife's purchase last night of a new game which she sought out based on the recommendation of her friend. She became miffed at me after I denigrated her selection. What she purchased was LCR/Left Center Right the Card game.

As its name suggests this version substitutes the dice in the original with cards that perform the same function. Now the only random element is the shuffling of cards to start the game.

I pointed out that this game was really just an exercise in flipping over cards until one person lost their stack of coins. Then the name calling began, starting with snob and continuing with smug, "too good for this game", etc. When I further demonstrated that there were no decisions to make in the game she still insisted on playing it to see for herself how the game "played".

She truly thinks this game would be fun for her family to play when they visit and admittedly, I agree. We already play Phase 10 with them which they enjoy and which I tolerate for the sake of our company. I've tried introducing her family to Ticket to Ride and Botswana before but it left them unimpressed. I'll grudgingly play this game when we gather together again but I won't enjoy it which is why I feel like I've failed as a BGG husband. I don't want to play my wife's games. I just want her to play my games. Is that wrong?

Not if her games aren't games...which LCR the card game quite obviously isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
..I've failed as a BGG ...I am just a game snob.

Sound like you succeeded at being a BGG husband. devil

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Phase 10 =
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
I don't want to play my wife's games. I just want her to play my games. Is that wrong?

It's not wrong to WANT this . . . but you should play her games once in awhile regardless of what you want. This, my friend, is what we refer to as "Avoiding an ass-kicking from your wife." I have mastered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much information

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have often said (and I'm sure I heard it somewhere else) that a happy husband is a happy wife. Apparently your brilliant avatar did not come to mind... think ahead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, different people like different stuff. I personally don't bring games to family stuff any more unless it's Wits & Wagers or Say Anything, as they just don't care for much else. It's not worth trying to push gaming on people that aren't gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you didn't think and say, "Hey, cool, you bought a game", and stop there, you'll also fail as a father. The name of that game is Baby Steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
It all depends on delivery. Criticism can be wonderful or just unpolite.

On the other hand, it fucking sucks, you can't be polite about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:

Don't you have actual gamer friends with whom you can play "BGG" games? Play the games you like with your gamer friends because you want to play those games. Play the games your wife likes with her and your family because it would make her happy. That's a big part of being married (I've been happily married for 22 years, so trust me on this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
So on bbg its considered an activity instead of a game. Who cares? Sounds like the point is to have a little something to do while chatting around the table with your wife's family. Sounds like the perfect place for an activity to me. From your post it doesn't sound like your wife got it for you to play at a serious game night she got it to play with her family and even you admit that its a perfect fit for her family. You should have said it sounds good to play with them and them moved on rather than making an ass of yourself (in your wife's view).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
So on bbg its considered an activity instead of a game. Who cares? Sounds like the point is to have a little something to do while chatting around the table with your wife's family. Sounds like the perfect place for an activity to me. From your post it doesn't sound like your wife got it for you to play at a serious game night she got it to play with her family and even you admit that its a perfect fit for her family. You should have said it sounds good to play with them and them moved on rather than making an ass of yourself (in your wife's view).

QFT.

I'm not wild about each and every game my girlfriend wants to play, but I'd rather play a game and spend time chatting with her than look like an ass. Same goes for my family- my parents will not learn anything so knowing this I'd rather have fun the few times I get to see them hurling dice playing Monopoly than getting frustrated when they don't give two shits about Ticket to Ride/ask where the dice are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
leemc13 wrote:
I don't want to play my wife's games. I just want her to play my games. Is that wrong?

It's a good way to grow apart...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want you to want to do the dishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Phase 10 =

I believe this says it all. I've made some serious mistakes in gaming (number 1 being to play against my wife) but this could take the cake. I'm thinking newlywed mistake (although you're not), no one else could make the mistake of saying anything that goes against the wife.shake Agree to go into counseling ASAP. You still have a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
djbrickhaus wrote:

Why would I want to do the dishes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Phase 10 =

I couldn't agree more, Jonathan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
cdefrisco wrote:
I have often said (and I'm sure I heard it somewhere else) that a happy husband is a happy wife. Apparently your brilliant avatar did not come to mind... think ahead!

I held off commenting when I first saw the game and was content to allow her to play it with our guest. It was only later when she asked me to explain the rules since they couldn't understand the purpose of the game after having read it themselves that I couldn't resist letting them know what I thought of the game/activity. But you are correct, like others have also said, that I probably should acquiesce from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very much a snob, and my wife is not a stranger to that. I'm a snob about beer, a snob about food, a snob about movies, and oh yes, a snob about games. She gives me proverbial shit about it from time to time, but deep down, I know she wouldn't have it any other way.

Snob on, brother. Snob on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the internet really is the correct arena to brag about pretentiousness on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
You call it pretentiousness, I call it taste!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:

I think I would rather just socialize than "play" LCR. I don't think any ass making was done.

Fight the good fight brother!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. S. Higgins
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
djbrickhaus wrote:

Why would I want to do the dishes?

It all depends on the reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:

Well, if you were a true board game snob you would have informed her that this game was no different than Candy Land since the shuffling of the deck determines who wins without any decision making and then asking her if her family likes games meant for preschoolers.

Then you would be a true snob - and probably single.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.