Popular Tags: [View All]
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the Polish player and I place a "move to" order on a soviet unit that I was going to attack but it moved out of that area before I could move to it and pin it and then battle with it. Do I still have to move one of my units to that location or can I ignore that order?

It's a great game by the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do I have to do a move to order?
At least one unit must complete the order unless it is not physically possible.

I agree. I only played a demo of it, but I think I want to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bennett
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. If any units can execute the order, than at least one must do so. This can put you in a tough position if the situation has changed and you must send a unit into a disadvantaged position! This is one of my favorite parts of the game, the way that it represents the fog of war and having to deal with continually changing situatons for your units!
Enjoy!
Brian
Academy Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William (Andy) Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. I now will do this right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Żak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fog of War system simulates pararell movement as is in real wars. When one unit start moving to ordered position, in the same time opponent units also do their movements and all other activities, to fulfill their orders.

Remember also that this is a time with almost no radio communication system. Communication between units/headquarters were problematic. Often orders were shipped via messengers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Mossman
msg tools
Okay, Our club is greatly enjoying this game. Here is the corollary to this question. I place a Force March To order on a space. I have 2 infantry divisions 2 spaces away. One force marches to the space with the order thus fulfilling the requirement of one unit reaching the target space. Can the other infantry unit move under this FM order only one space towards the target area and stop one space short since the other Infantry unit fulfilled the FM To order. The rules say force marching Infantry and calvary may force march UP TO 1 extra space.

Thanks

Harvey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Żak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An order must be followed if possible.

Ex: A force march order to a city has been given and two blocks are each two areas away. One unit moves two areas to the city. The other unit may NOT move just one area to the city if the way is clear to the city. The order was not - Move only one area, it was move FM to the city.

If this second block moves to the city, but moves into an enemy occupied area doing this, then it must stop and can go not further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Mossman
msg tools
rzak wrote:
An order must be followed if possible.

Ex: A force march order to a city has been given and two blocks are each two areas away. One unit moves two areas to the city. The other unit may NOT move just one area to the city if the way is clear to the city. The order was not - Move only one area, it was move FM to the city.

If this second block moves to the city, but moves into an enemy occupied area doing this, then it must stop and can go not further.

Rob, How can a unit in this example end up in a battle. If the unit is 2 spaces but has no clear path to the city where the FM TO order is placed, can he even repond to this order since he could not reach the target city. IF he can respond, where can he legally move in response to the FM TO order. We are having a big debate about this on another thread and it is unclear how units can respond to the FM TO orders if enemy units block the path to the city. (see the other thread from Fred 100)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Żak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted the answer in this topic:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7506444#7506444

Quote:
1) You can only place an order if at least one unit can complete the order at the time it was issued.

2) If, by the movement of the enemy units, you are unable to complete the order, I.E. make it to the location that the order was placed, than the order goes unused and is removed from the board.

You are not allowed to move "towards" the order and come up short, due to entering an area containing enemy units.

I hope that solution simplify and clean up the rules and cut the speculations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.