Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Panic Station» Forums » General

Subject: Panic Station vs. The Thing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I love the concept of this game. It sounds quite a bit like The Thing, and even funnier, they appear to both owe debts to mid-80s sci-fi/horror films. Has anyone played both? How do they compare? Anyway, as soon as this is released it's a must-buy for me. In fact I want to preorder right now. Can you do that yet?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Panic Station yet, but I am TOTALLY looking forward to it once it's translated and released in the US.

Haven't player The Thing, yet, either, actually. I really need to get on that...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy from Artscow just arrived...I'm hoping maybe I can talk some people into playing it either tomorrow night or Saturday night...or maybe Sunday night.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, let me try to give a short answer.
You are correct in your assumptions. Panic Station was indeed inspired by the classic SF John Carpenter film. While it is far from a straight translatipon of the movie, it does capture the essence: a group of people trapped in a confided space with no idea if the teammate they have to work with is 100% human. With Panic Station I tried to capture a similar claustrophobic atmosphere filled with electrifying paranoia.

While I haven't played Mark Chaplin's "The Thing" (an interesting looking game by the way), I think the main difference is that it is a cardgame, while Panic Station (despite it using cards) is definitly a boardgame.
Panic used a board (modular) and playing pieces and feels/plays somewhat like a tactical SF-dungeoncrawler with psychological elements and hidden information.

Someone pointed out a new version of the movie "The Thing" will be released shortly. That coincidence is just oo cool for words
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can definitely see that the games are mechanically different. I am quite happy both options exist, and I hope they both satisfy the psychological aspects of gaming that I love so much.

Will it be the case that if you purchase two copies, more than 6 can play? How well does it scale up?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that is an interesting question Clyde.
As the mechanics work, I can definitly see how 2 combined copies could create a game that allows up to 12 players, because the main balance thing is the amount of manoeuverability the space of the board allows compared to the number of characters that occupy the space and the number of specific cards in the deck. So by doubling the base game you get the amounts X 2 of everything in the set and I presume the same balance. Worth to give it a shot.

In all honesty, I have never tried this myself blush
Maybe something to try out at Essen?
Enough players present and we can make one big epic Panic Station session! arrrh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Batalla

Barcelona
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

This game looks amazing and I'm really exited to check the rules when appear.

What totally dissapoints me is due this game or due this threath i discovered that "they" are going to rape my carpenter 80 version of the think with another shity remake... Dammm! I know that carpenters movie is already a remake, but is a neat one. DAMM I hate "they"

Sorry for get off topic... Back to the game:
My apologies if im doing a silly question or an already asqued one. How works the infection process? I mean, Is some type of card exchange? Like take this card "pistol", "ehem"... (surprise). Im not saying that i dont like it, just that i thing that half the people that play with me could not avoid to put a surprise face an reveal itselfs to me. The problem is that if the receiver put a heavy surprised face it can reveal the source infector also indirectly...

Sorry my english, im not a english native talker.

Regards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferganth wrote:
Hello.

This game looks amazing and I'm really exited to check the rules when appear.

What totally dissapoints me is due this game or due this threath i discovered that "they" are going to rape my carpenter 80 version of the think with another shity remake... Dammm! I know that carpenters movie is already a remake, but is a neat one. DAMM I hate "they"

Sorry for get off topic... Back to the game:
My apologies if im doing a silly question or an already asqued one. How works the infection process? I mean, Is some type of card exchange? Like take this card "pistol", "ehem"... (surprise). Im not saying that i dont like it, just that i thing that half the people that play with me could not avoid to put a surprise face an reveal itselfs to me. The problem is that if the receiver put a heavy surprised face it can reveal the source infector also indirectly...

Sorry my english, im not a english native talker.

Regards.


The film is NOT a remake - it is a prequel, set some days before the events that befall Outpost #31.



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Batalla

Barcelona
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
Ferganth wrote:
Hello.

This game looks amazing and I'm really exited to check the rules when appear.

What totally dissapoints me is due this game or due this threath i discovered that "they" are going to rape my carpenter 80 version of the think with another shity remake... Dammm! I know that carpenters movie is already a remake, but is a neat one. DAMM I hate "they"

Sorry for get off topic... Back to the game:
My apologies if im doing a silly question or an already asqued one. How works the infection process? I mean, Is some type of card exchange? Like take this card "pistol", "ehem"... (surprise). Im not saying that i dont like it, just that i thing that half the people that play with me could not avoid to put a surprise face an reveal itselfs to me. The problem is that if the receiver put a heavy surprised face it can reveal the source infector also indirectly...

Sorry my english, im not a english native talker.

Regards.


The film is NOT a remake - it is a prequel, set some days before the events that befall Outpost #31.





Hei thanks. I was so mad that i locked my mind and did not read or lissen the trailer. ANyway... the movie will have that cgi nowadays flavour that i hate so much. Im some type of pesimist. sorry.

Regards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferganth wrote:
Yugblad wrote:
Ferganth wrote:
Hello.

This game looks amazing and I'm really exited to check the rules when appear.

What totally dissapoints me is due this game or due this threath i discovered that "they" are going to rape my carpenter 80 version of the think with another shity remake... Dammm! I know that carpenters movie is already a remake, but is a neat one. DAMM I hate "they"

Sorry for get off topic... Back to the game:
My apologies if im doing a silly question or an already asqued one. How works the infection process? I mean, Is some type of card exchange? Like take this card "pistol", "ehem"... (surprise). Im not saying that i dont like it, just that i thing that half the people that play with me could not avoid to put a surprise face an reveal itselfs to me. The problem is that if the receiver put a heavy surprised face it can reveal the source infector also indirectly...

Sorry my english, im not a english native talker.

Regards.


The film is NOT a remake - it is a prequel, set some days before the events that befall Outpost #31.





Hei thanks. I was so mad that i locked my mind and did not read or lissen the trailer. ANyway... the movie will have that cgi nowadays flavour that i hate so much. Im some type of pesimist. sorry.

Regards.


The FX crew have gone on record to say that the film's at least 80% practical effects.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am interested in the mechanics of the infestation. As you can see from the Thing, one player starts as the Thing, and depending on the number of players and luck, cain infect up to 3 more people. This obviously requires a separate Thing deck. In this game it sounds like no one knows who the Thing is, so everyone has cards from the same deck? Perhaps there's one card you can never pass as human but if you pass as Thing you've infected the person you've passed to? Also, what are the mechanics of the pass? It seems as though everyone must pass at the same time, which implies some sort of passing algorithm. Ah! You can only pass to players in the same space ala Pandemic..? Makes sense.

If so, these games are quite different, as in The Thing, part of the fun of playing the known Thing is screwing with the humans' heads as the game progresses.

Also if the game scaled to 12, would turns take forever, or is action selection simultaneous ala 7 Wonders? That'd be nice.

Anyway, super excited about this game and makes me wish I could fly to Essen to play it with you! (that or get off the BGG.con's waitlist!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Millar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ferganth wrote:
Im not saying that i dont like it, just that i thing that half the people that play with me could not avoid to put a surprise face an reveal itselfs to me.

This is the first issue my coworker asked me about when I mentioned the game to them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Expect the rules to be posted somewhere in August.
Reading them will give you a complete idea of all the hidden mechanics.

Actually, trying to "read" the expression and behaviour of other players is part of the meta-game of Panic Station and gives the game an additional layer of fun. You would be surprised that in practice it is quite hard to
deduct/get an idea of what is happening during those blind trades.
I have mis-interpreted facial reactions of players more than often.
Especially since there are several combinations possible why players should be surprised during the hidden interactions, so a surprised expression is far from a 100% proof that someone has been infected.

Anyway, rest assure it will all fall in place when you actually experience the game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomclown wrote:
Ferganth wrote:
Im not saying that i dont like it, just that i thing that half the people that play with me could not avoid to put a surprise face an reveal itselfs to me.

This is the first issue my coworker asked me about when I mentioned the game to them.


Same problem in Battlestar Galactica. We tell new people to be careful when you look at your card. In BSG it's worse because if you're not a Cylon you don't have to read your card, if you are a Cylon you have to read your card to see what your special ability is. So if one person is scanning their card to see what they can do we know they're the Cylon.

So, we take 30 seconds were everyone has to look at their car and pretend to read it and not watch other people.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Millar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

Same problem in Battlestar Galactica. We tell new people to be careful when you look at your card. In BSG it's worse because if you're not a Cylon you don't have to read your card, if you are a Cylon you have to read your card to see what your special ability is. So if one person is scanning their card to see what they can do we know they're the Cylon.

I would think it'd be worse here, because you have all kinds of chances to be unexpectedly infected, possibly against your most closely-held expectations about the other players. Not just at two discreet points of the game where you know it's a random coin flip that you'll be on team A or B.

That being said I don't really think it'll be a huge problem outside of the type of people who give themselves away in every other Mafia variant anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Odum
United States
Holdenville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Doomclown wrote:
charlest wrote:

Same problem in Battlestar Galactica. We tell new people to be careful when you look at your card. In BSG it's worse because if you're not a Cylon you don't have to read your card, if you are a Cylon you have to read your card to see what your special ability is. So if one person is scanning their card to see what they can do we know they're the Cylon.

I would think it'd be worse here, because you have all kinds of chances to be unexpectedly infected, possibly against your most closely-held expectations about the other players. Not just at two discreet points of the game where you know it's a random coin flip that you'll be on team A or B.

That being said I don't really think it'll be a huge problem outside of the type of people who give themselves away in every other Mafia variant anyway.

Maybe, except if you give yourself away that will hurt you because you're now on a new team. I would be careful to keep my poker face any time I received a card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, facial expressions are not as big a problem as with other traitor-oriented games since an expression that is not neutral doesn't automaticaly mean someone has been infected. The game has a whole batch of possible situations that can happen during interactions of team members, some that are very innocent but notheless will evoke an expression of surprise.
So, it is harder to deduct traitors amongst the pack based on facial expressions than it might seem at first glance.
Sometimes the way a team member moves around the station, carefuly observe his actions and a well-timed heatscan of the building does wonders.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Batalla

Barcelona
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David for the infection aclaration. Im really interested on take a look on the rulebook.

There is another question that i wonder... i hope to not bother too much. Here it goes: I'm not from a country that uses english as a native language... I wonder how will be the language dependance on the game? I dont have any problem with english, but i thing that too much times this is a issue with some of my friends. I saw on the bgg panic station game web that there is no necesary in game text... is it correct? If the game rules are the only stuff to read, that will be great for me.

Regards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

The game is without any text, so don't worry.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Fink
Germany
Münster
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
when there is a movie out there that don't need a remake it is The Thing from John Carpenter...everything is perfect in this movie...the tricks, the music, the cast...why a remake???
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Batalla

Barcelona
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ausloosd wrote:

The game is without any text, so don't worry.


thx David.

Quote:

when there is a movie out there that don't need a remake it is The Thing from John Carpenter...everything is perfect in this movie...the tricks, the music, the cast...why a remake???



To make money. Also there are young people out there that dont know about this great movie... so hollywood paid the carpenter stuff to put a nowadays refreshed thing and feed the new generations. Its a prequel using the excuse of the nordic settlement that happens to discover the thing prior the iankis on the 80s movie. Mark said that CGI will be minimum and thats a good point for me... ANyway i dont gonna see that one cause the trailer seemed to me another dishonest remake just for the greedy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferganth wrote:
ausloosd wrote:

The game is without any text, so don't worry.


thx David.

Quote:

when there is a movie out there that don't need a remake it is The Thing from John Carpenter...everything is perfect in this movie...the tricks, the music, the cast...why a remake???



To make money. Also there are young people out there that dont know about this great movie... so hollywood paid the carpenter stuff to put a nowadays refreshed thing and feed the new generations. Its a prequel using the excuse of the nordic settlement that happens to discover the thing prior the iankis on the 80s movie. Mark said that CGI will be minimum and thats a good point for me... ANyway i dont gonna see that one cause the trailer seemed to me another dishonest remake just for the greedy.


What you have just said does not make sense. If this was a greedy cash-in, don't you think they've left it 29 years late? How can this 'greedy' prequel be for the new generations, when you yourself have said few young folks have even heard of the original.

Of course it has to make money - what's the point of a Hollywood film that doesn't? The film is not a remake - it's a prequel.

You seem to have confirmation bias, Ferganth. Nobody has any idea if this film will be any good yet, but some, like you, won't even give it a chance.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Batalla

Barcelona
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
Ferganth wrote:
ausloosd wrote:

The game is without any text, so don't worry.


thx David.

Quote:

when there is a movie out there that don't need a remake it is The Thing from John Carpenter...everything is perfect in this movie...the tricks, the music, the cast...why a remake???



To make money. Also there are young people out there that dont know about this great movie... so hollywood paid the carpenter stuff to put a nowadays refreshed thing and feed the new generations. Its a prequel using the excuse of the nordic settlement that happens to discover the thing prior the iankis on the 80s movie. Mark said that CGI will be minimum and thats a good point for me... ANyway i dont gonna see that one cause the trailer seemed to me another dishonest remake just for the greedy.


What you have just said does not make sense. If this was a greedy cash-in, don't you think they've left it 29 years late? How can this 'greedy' prequel be for the new generations, when you yourself have said few young folks have even heard of the original.

Of course it has to make money - what's the point of a Hollywood film that doesn't? The film is not a remake - it's a prequel.

You seem to have confirmation bias, Ferganth. Nobody has any idea if this film will be any good yet, but some, like you, won't even give it a chance.





Hi.

What i said is my honest and particular opinion, just that. I think Is easier for the young ones discover a movie that is currently on theathers that a movie that has to be searched on great horror classics collection from the past.

In my honest opinion, this prequel seems to follow the same structure from the 80s. Dogs, cages, flametrhowers, on screen microteleview from the thing infection, people clousure, people distrust, whisky depresive predead party, etc. Of course i know that you cant put off those elements or it wont be "the thing", So it is what happened in the nordic settlement... But seems to me that what happened in the nordic camp is what happened on the ianki camp. I COULD BE MISTAKEN of course, but that trailer shows too much stuff... included some of the infected and the main aspects. I could be wrong and this is controversial for some: "maybe" a remake using the nordic settlement camp call...

This movie could be a pretty good one or a crappy one i dont know for sure, but i bet for the second. Its just my bet... Also I could be completelly wrong on what i said, but at this moment this is my point of view. I dont feel biased, just not surprised or atracted for that hiperspoileed trailer that is online.

WHen i said:
Quote:
What totally dissapoints me is due this game or due this threath i discovered that "they" are going to rape my carpenter 80 version of the think with another shity remake... Dammm! I know that carpenters movie is already a remake, but is a neat one. DAMM I hate "they"

I just wanted to be funny and pay tribute for the classic... Maybe i need to practice more expressing on english to sound more affable... dont know


Everybody have their opionions and i think i did not disrespect any of yours. What i dont understand is why you are so hard with me and why you want to covince me. I really apreciated the clarifiactions that you did to me about of the movie and recognized and remarked what you said about the CGI.

I'm really sorry if i did hurt anybody with my opinions. Im a lover from the original remake from 80s of carpenter. Please, I really dont wanna a cinema confrontation / discussion. Im not a native english talker so my capacity to reason an make my self clear is handicaped. It could end on a pointless discussion and I dontt wanna start bickering.

My apologies for dropping here my cinema opinions. Lets talk about panic station theboard game that im really excited.

Regards.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in the end the prequel will probably generate some interest in the Carpenter movie, so if this new movie helps to remind a new generation that this 80's classic excist I think the prequel served its purpose. Matthijs van Heijningen (who directed the new movie) is a big fan of the original and is aware of the traps of remakes. He deliberatly didn't want to do a "remake" since he felt the movie was perfect as is. One must applaud such respectful decission, because this is rare in Hollywood.

Furthermore I am happy that a good character-actor as Ulrich Thomsen was cast as one of the main characters. Anyone who has seen Anders Thomas Jensen's "Addam's appels" will agree that he is extremely good and intense. Given the fact he is rather unknown outside Scandinavia he's not an obvious choice for Tinseltown, as could be said for alot of other casting choices in this movie. So let's wait and see before we judge this "prequel". Sure, it could be awful, but we will only know when we actually have seen it.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched The Thing for the first time yesterday. As soon as things started happening, I thought, "wait, this sounds like Panic Station." Grabbed the rulebook, and came straight here.

Awesome. Can't wait to play it.

Also, that movie? It's good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.