Subject: Olympos vs Cyclades rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if anyone has played both of these and can recommend one of them? Olympos looks interesting, but for some reason I just can't seem to pull the trigger on it. What drew me initially is the theme, as I love me some Greek Myth, and the game looks interesting enough, but for some reason my gut is just saying, "Meh".
Got me to look into other Greek Myth games, and came upon Cyclades. They look to have some base similarities, but Cyclades might look like a richer experience. I have also just really gotten into painting minis.

I would appreciate some thoughts on both games, especially if anyone has tried both. I have not played either. Nor have I played Small World pr Evo.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Now I've only played Cyclades but still I have to wonder why these 2 get compared to each other so often aside from the same Greek-ish theme.

Now, looking at your collection, I did notice that you don't have a ton of bidding games. Since 90% of the experience, fun, and strategy in Cyclades lies with the bidding, that should be your "love it or leave it" decision maker. That being said, Cyclades is an outstanding game and one of our favorites.

Cyclades has some minor pseudo-civ development too but if a civ game is what your after, Olympos is more likely to scratch that itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. It does bother me when people compare games unfairly, and it might be unfair for me to compare them, having never played them. Although, at least from the outside looking in, they do seem to have some similarity: Number of players, length, time, theme, some civ building, some randomness built into the Greek God theme, moving people around a board for area control/influence, non-static end conditions. Seemed like a fair comparison.

People seem to really like Cyclades, so that might scratch my Greek Myth itch, until more info is out on Olympos.

Thanks for the info!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.