Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Homebrew Scenario - Saving Frodo - 2 Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lebuk the wise
msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I've designed this scenario quite some time ago now but I was too lazy to translate it into english.

Finally I took the time to share with you.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/68423/homebrew-scenario-sa...

This Scenario was designed for 2 Players and is not intent to scale for more/fewer players.

Initially I wanted to create a challenging scenario for custom decks, but actually it turned out different. My oppinion:

Challenging with standard (single color decks),
might be boring with super OP 15 core sets super maxed out custom decks

I'd be pleased to hear your feedback on the gameplay - thx

Finally I have to thank NinjaDorg for making this great template I used.

Have Fun

cheers

lebuk
4 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennan Ward
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Angry Joe Show Army Community Admin
badge
Hot sauce is life
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be going over to my friends house shortly, we will try it out. I'll get back to you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a few questions, as I will probably play this this weekend.

At what point do you stop adding 5 threat to the staging area for the pursuing Nazgul? Only if you kill it after failing questing 4 times, or after moving to stage 2 of the quest, or never?

Quest Stage 2 staging - after revealing the usual 2 cards from the encounter deck, will you ultimately turn over and add 3 more encounter cards to the staging area, but have the option of skipping one in the processes (so turn over up to 4 if you decide to pass on one)? or do you turn over 3 more encounter cards, but only stage 2 of them?

My guess is that you, for example, turn over one card and stage it, turn over a second and stage it, turn over a third but put it in the discard pile since the players decide it is too harmful, then turn over a fourth card and stage it?

I assume that it is only during stage 2 of the quest that all enemies (whether just revealed or present from previous turns/quest stage) get +1 threat, and those that survive and are carried into to stage 3 of the quest do not get any extra threat.

Quest Stage 3 - I get that you turn over all those Orcs, that is clear (and should be tricky, there is a tactics ally that comes to mind though!). But any enemies left from stage 2, and all the new orcs only contribute the normal amount of threat, whereas all enemies revealed AFTER the new quest stage begins will get an additional +2 threat, correct?

and you win when there are NO enemies left in the staging area or engaged with either player.

Lastly, what happens if you never encounter any of the hill trolls, ungoliant's spawn, or the nazgul? Do you get their victory points as a bonus? If you face any of the "trophy" enemies, and shuffle them back in, only to face them multiple times, I assume you mark on a piece of paper how many victory points you get, right? So you could score victory points for some enemies multiple times?

Thanks! Seems like a challenging quest. I look forward to playing this weekend. Always appreciate new custom quests!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lebuk the wise
msg tools
mbmb
Hi Mike,

below see the answers to your questions:

Quote:
At what point do you stop adding 5 threat to the staging area for the pursuing Nazgul? Only if you kill it after failing questing 4 times, or after moving to stage 2 of the quest, or never?


even though it is thematically a nazgul, this has got nothing to do with the actual card. you just add +ยด5 threat to the staging area and stop after you completed the first stage.

Quote:
Quest Stage 2 staging - after revealing the usual 2 cards from the encounter deck, will you ultimately turn over and add 3 more encounter cards to the staging area, but have the option of skipping one in the processes (so turn over up to 4 if you decide to pass on one)? or do you turn over 3 more encounter cards, but only stage 2 of them?

My guess is that you, for example, turn over one card and stage it, turn over a second and stage it, turn over a third but put it in the discard pile since the players decide it is too harmful, then turn over a fourth card and stage it?


Basically instead of 2 cards each turn you reveal 5 (one after the other) of which you can ignore 1. The game mechanics of revealing the cards follows base rules with the exception of the possibility to ignore one (used as an interrupt similar to chancelling a "when revealed" effect).

Quote:
I assume that it is only during stage 2 of the quest that all enemies (whether just revealed or present from previous turns/quest stage) get +1 threat, and those that survive and are carried into to stage 3 of the quest do not get any extra threat.


correct

Quote:
Quest Stage 3 - I get that you turn over all those Orcs, that is clear (and should be tricky, there is a tactics ally that comes to mind though!). But any enemies left from stage 2, and all the new orcs only contribute the normal amount of threat, whereas all enemies revealed AFTER the new quest stage begins will get an additional +2 threat, correct?

and you win when there are NO enemies left in the staging area or engaged with either player.


correct

Quote:
Lastly, what happens if you never encounter any of the hill trolls, ungoliant's spawn, or the nazgul? Do you get their victory points as a bonus? If you face any of the "trophy" enemies, and shuffle them back in, only to face them multiple times, I assume you mark on a piece of paper how many victory points you get, right? So you could score victory points for some enemies multiple times?


I never thought of this as I dislike the scoring system and therefore never track score. If you are into it i would suggest as you mentioned keeping track of the points seperately. Troll should not appear that often anyways ;-) - at least in my games. Curious though how it goes for the others.

I hope I could clarify all these issues. Enjoy your game.

cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! I will probably play this through on Saturday evening.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennan Ward
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Angry Joe Show Army Community Admin
badge
Hot sauce is life
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It was good. We ended up losing at the very end playing as Leadership and Lore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivar Skappel
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will try this soon, looks like a nice quest Thanks!

Got one tough question though

What happens if you play this with cards from the Conflict at the Carrock expansion and choose Frodo as one of your heroes?

a) You win at once?
b) You lose Frodo at once?
c) You have to save his evil twin brother?
d) You have to save Frodo's soul? [w/ has been kidnapped]
e) Or perhaps Chief Uthak made a mistake and kidnapped someone else?

Don't think alternative e would ever happen, though ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave this a play last night, what a brutal quest!!

We had just gotten the Hunt for Gollum, so feeling the need to try something new we tried combining lore/leadership in one deck (using the song cards and allies that help search for song cards) and tactics/spirit. This did not go well as we just could not get enough willpower. We were discarding all our cards for Eowyn even with Bilbo helping out with additional draws. After getting through the first stage fairly well the second bogged down as what few allies we put out were getting massacred by the extra enemies. Legolas helped manage some locations, but there were just too many enemies and treacheries. Eleanor couldn't cancel enough when revealed effects and we sputtered out with my tactics/spirit deck dying off one by one, and my threat reaching 50 with one hero left.

For a second try we went to our standby of spirit/leadership and tactics/lore. I also threw out about 15 more cards deemed less useful in the tactics/lore deck to make it more efficient. This time we were fairly efficient. We got through the first stage in two turns, but again were discarding a lot of cards for Eowyn, but without the aid of Bilbo (we needed more questing power so we got Glorfindel out). The first two turns in Quest stage 2 went well and we got up to around 9 progress tokens down before things just started slipping. Some bad when revealed, east bight, and wolf riders as shadow cards came up and killed off my allies one by one. After a few more turns it was clear we had lost a grip on the quest and just couldn't keep up with the encounter deck. We pushed on until Legolas was the only one left for me and Aragorn the only one left for my friend, but then we were finished off with 13 progress tokens down on the second stage.

This quest is TOUGH. We are gonna set it aside and play some other custom quests before we give it a go again. Our initial impressions are that it is just too much, mostly in the second stage (can't attest to the third as we didn't make it that far). We have two cores, enjoy the deckbuilding, and beat Dul Guldor regularly and have tried and beat all but two of the custom quests on here. So we aren't just whining that it is too hard like so many softies do here. This is the first we haven't beat, so kudos on making quite a challenge. We debate changing the second stage to one less encounter card, especially since you are going to lose all attachments and get so many bad guys going into the third with the extra threat. We feel like it is nice that players need more allies than attachments, when the key to a lot of quests is just to load up on attachments and tank through. It is just too hard to keep allies alive with so many enemies coming out. I would actually rather have maybe one threat to all enemies and locations in the second stage (not just the enemies) but only put out three encounter cards total. Wolf riders just make the alternative too brutal.

We also raised two more questions. Does the Forest Snare get discarded going into the third get stage? I believe it is not actually in the players control. Also, if you are already engaged with the orcs that come out in quest stage 3, they just stay where they are, correct?

Thanks, much appreciate the effort.
Mike
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lebuk the wise
msg tools
mbmb
ivarpool wrote:
Will try this soon, looks like a nice quest Thanks!

Got one tough question though

What happens if you play this with cards from the Conflict at the Carrock expansion and choose Frodo as one of your heroes?

a) You win at once?
b) You lose Frodo at once?
c) You have to save his evil twin brother?
d) You have to save Frodo's soul? [w/ has been kidnapped]
e) Or perhaps Chief Uthak made a mistake and kidnapped someone else?

Don't think alternative e would ever happen, though ...


Hi,

I'd rather go with the evil twin.

Thank god its not out for now ;-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lebuk the wise
msg tools
mbmb
Hi Mike,

thank you for your feedback. Hope you enjoyed it despite the defeat.

sponkey21 wrote:
Gave this a play last night, what a brutal quest!!


As for difficulty:

We played it a couple of times with customized decks and it felt kind of boring, as we got through rather easy.

We tried single sphere decks without expansions twice (2 players) and won both times. A necessity however is playing spirit (as you need eowyn for the questing and should have a northern tracker at some point in stage 2).

I wasn't quite sure whether you need the healing to cover the damage taken in stage 1 but it wasn't necessary as we won once with spirit + tactics (both games without gollum cards).

In all my games we always could avoid getting a troll added due to failed questing.

sponkey21 wrote:
We also raised two more questions. Does the Forest Snare get discarded going into the third get stage? I believe it is not actually in the players control. Also, if you are already engaged with the orcs that come out in quest stage 3, they just stay where they are, correct?


According to my understanding Forest Snare disappears as well (and was intent to). I think this card is still very powerful. You still got time to kill off the enemy until stage 3 without being attacked.

The orcs are supposed to be added to the staging area and only get engaged according to the standard rules (unless threat is high enough or decisively taken).

sponkey21 wrote:
I would actually rather have maybe one threat to all enemies and locations in the second stage (not just the enemies) but only put out three encounter cards total. Wolf riders just make the alternative too brutal.


I think the difficulty is fine. Due to the one free card to chancel you have a limited influence to prevent the locations filling up the staging area. There are several ways to deal with the wolf riders (gandalf, quick strike ...). However feel free to play it your way and modify the difficulty to your needs.

Better luck next time ;-)

cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivar Skappel
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lebuk wrote:
Hi,

I'd rather go with the evil twin.

Thank god its not out for now ;-)


Played through it yesterday, had to wait for Frodo!

Although, Dunhere would have been more useful. Second Breakfast and A Burning Brand were useful from that set as well ...

Got the wargs that jumps back to the staging area, that kept stalking us through most of the game. Had to kill it with Gandalf at the end, since he never got a shadow card ... *lol*

Other than that, we didn't have too much problems, but w/ 3 core sets and proxy for the expansion to double up, I think we fall into the category you talked about in your first post in this thread.

Nice scenario
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lebuk the wise
msg tools
mbmb
ivarpool wrote:
Second Breakfast and A Burning Brand were useful from that set as well ...


Yeah Second Breakfast kind of interferes with what I had in mind ;-)

Glad you enjoyed it.

My second scenario still needs to be playtestet a little but although created before carrock I think it will feel somewhat like that scenario.

cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played the scenario three times and lost every time at the end after all the orcs entered play (but we nearly succeeded in the last try).

I just found out looking at this thread though, that we have been doing two things wrongly:
1) When we could chose one card out of three to get discarded, we did put the normal two first (without the possibility to discard them) and then added step-by-step three more, discarding one.
2) We added +1 and +2 to all enemies in the respective stage, regardless of when they had entered play.

1) made the game a bit more difficult, but 2) made it really tough, as you get +2 for all the orcs you put into play. So you have to quest a lot and deal with the orcs at the same time.

We will try it with the correct rules later. Maybe you want to make especially point 2 clearer on the scenario cards, because that question has also arisen earlier and it really changes the scenario a lot.

I have also another question: After you discard all attachments, can you still buy new ones? We played that you can. That helps a lot, especially if you save them beforehand for the third part of the quest.

Anyway, we have enjoyed the scenario a lot! Thanks for creating it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lebuk the wise
msg tools
mbmb
Hi Rike,

glad you enjoyed it!

Now to your question:

Rike wrote:
I have also another question: After you discard all attachments, can you still buy new ones? We played that you can.


like Obama would have said: "Yes, you can." ;-)

with the correct rules you will now beat it, i'm sure of.

If you got the expansions and use the new cards, it got a lot easier as well due to second breakfast and longbeard map maker just to name a few.

cheers
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lebuk wrote:

with the correct rules you will now beat it, i'm sure of.

If you got the expansions and use the new cards, it got a lot easier as well due to second breakfast and longbeard map maker just to name a few.

Hi,

we've played it again and won
It got a lot easier with the different rules, but still very enjoyable. For us it was one of the most enjoyable fan-made scenarios we have tried (and we have tried nearly all available at BGG).

So thanks again for creating and sharing it!

Second breakfast would definitely be useful, but somehow we are against changing our deck for a scenario. That makes it more fun, if you ask me, because the game is not getting too much easier with the expansions. Because at the same time at which you get more good cards, you also get more scenarios to defeat with the same deck. That has proven very difficult especially for Rhosgobel. ... That was a bit Off-Topic now. Sorry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to LOTR:LCG Adventure Database poll here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72931/the-lord-of-the-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.