Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Collis
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Folks:

I require some clarification on this aspect of Game Play.

Logistics!\Cards states:

"If the defender does not play a card to defend a city, and that city is captured, the attacker immediately draws a card in addition to the extra card drawn at the end of the turn for capturingthe city."

Section 'Card Play' states:

"If the defender passes without playing any cards, the attacker immediately draws a card.";

While Section 'Attacker Victory' states:

"If the defender played no cards to defend, the attacker immediately draws a card, in addition to the card drawn at the end of the turn"

So I am confused as to how many cards are drawn by the attacker, with a passing defender.

1) Does the attacker draw an extra card immediatley during Card Play only?

OR

2) Does the attacker draw as extra card immediately after having captured the city?

OR

3) Does the attacker draw cards at both times?

Of course, these card draw(s) would be in addition to the card drawn at the end of the turn for city capture.

4) Also, an interesting tactic would be for the Attacker to attack a spot with a card that he knows cannot win him the battle, hoping that the defender wouldn't play a card, or might play a valuable card he has been saving. If the Defender doesn't play a card, then the attacker gets a free card draw for the cost of losing one piece. With an additional card draw, any muster value would at least replace that loss. Is this valid?

Cheers,

John Collis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick stevens
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
mbmbmbmbmb
(3) The attacker draws a card if the defender does not play a card. This card is drawn "immediately" as there is no further card battle. The attacker burns or discards the card he used to initiate the battle. Then again he draws a extra card for winning that battle at the end of his turn.Total of 2 cards drawn for that battle. Remember this can be combined with other battles and card draw totals as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Collis
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Patrick:

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so the sentence found under 'Attacker Victory' about drawing another card should be removed for clarity. The attacker would receive the following cards:

1 - (1) Card after 'Card Play';
2 - (0) None after the Combat with an 'Attacker Victory'; and,
3 - (1) Card at the end of the turn for capturing a city.

for (2) Cards as you had mentioned. I was confused because of the sentence in 'Attacker Victory' suggesting that a 3rd card might be drawn.

Also, it is ok for the Attacker to attack knowing he will lose, but the defender likely won't defend, to draw (1) extra Card after 'Card Play', but not another at the end of the turn, since he didn't actually capture the city. As I had mentioned, this was an effective trade for a card for a piece.

Cheers,

John Collis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be worth adding this to the expansion rules, as it is true errata -- the rules as written state that the attacker will draw three cards in this case (one when the defender declines to play a card, one when the battle is won, and another at the end of the turn), not two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Ok, we played last night and ran into this. After reading the posts here I am no closer to understanding the situation than before.

The OP asked:
Quote:
1) Does the attacker draw an extra card immediatley during Card Play only?

OR

2) Does the attacker draw as extra card immediately after having captured the city?

OR

3) Does the attacker draw cards at both times?

Of course, these card draw(s) would be in addition to the card drawn at the end of the turn for city capture.

And the answer given was #3, the attacker draws cards at both times but no mention of the part I bolded.

Looking at the reply from the designer...

Quote:
The attacker draws a card if the defender does not play a card. This card is drawn "immediately" as there is no further card battle.

Ok, fair enough. If the defender does not play a card, you immediately draw a card.

Quote:
The attacker burns or discards the card he used to initiate the battle. /q]

After counting it to resolve the battle? Or does the defender automatically lose if he does not play a card?

[q] Then again he draws a extra card for winning that battle at the end of his turn.

Is this card in addition to the card he drew "immediately" AND the card he would draw for capturing a city? So 3 cards?

I apologize in advance for not framing the question better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Stevens
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
When the defender chooses to play no cards, the battle immediately ends with the attacker winning an automatic victory. The card the attacker played to initiate the battle is discarded. The attacker immediately draws a card INSTEAD of drawing it for the battle at the end of the turn. The same number of cards is drawn for winning the battle as normal (one), the card is just drawn in the middle of the turn instead of the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Smashblade wrote:
When the defender chooses to play no cards, the battle immediately ends with the attacker winning an automatic victory.

Ah...we missed that entirely.

Edit: Looking at the rules, I don't see that at all.

Quote:
The card the attacker played to initiate the battle is discarded. The attacker immediately draws a card INSTEAD of drawing it for the battle at the end of the turn. The same number of cards is drawn for winning the battle as normal (one), the card is just drawn in the middle of the turn instead of the end.

This still doesn't seem to jibe with what Patrick said here:
Quote:
Then again he draws a extra card for winning that battle at the end of his turn.Total of 2 cards drawn for that battle.

Thanks for the response, still a bit confused though LOL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Stevens
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry, are you playing with the expansion?

Without the expansion, the attacker does not score an automatic victory. The attacker immediately draws a card in addition to the card at the end of the turn if they win the battle.

With the expansion, the attacker automatically wins, draws a card immediately, and does not draw one at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
That would be it. The expansion is on the way, we were playing the base game.
Thanks for clearing that up

Great game by the way, we had a lot of fun. Several comments were made comparing it to Friedrich which is a highly thought of game in our group. Lots of decisions to make, and almost never enough cards to do everything you want to do. Our game last night was down to the wire, with me crossing the victory bar by two spaces by capturing Madrid in a 2 town push only to lose to a well played turn by the last player to go, who captured 3 towns and won the political battle to pass the bar in the other direction one space further than I had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Stevens
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Great to hear it's treating you well. I'd love to hear how it goes with the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.