Rowan McAlpine
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
a good game!
badge
a good game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Pirates is a race game that's all about drinking and space and pirates. The back story goes something like this:

You are a bunch on space pirates that have just robbed a Federation bank. It didn't go as smooth as you had expected and now the Federation are chasing you towards your only hope of escape: a black hole. The first pirate through will close it behind them so that the Federation can't follow but leaving the other pirates stranded.

The first thing about a drinking game is keeping it simple but having plenty of player interaction. As you move around the track, by rolling a 1d6, you perform the action of the square you land on (Drink, Nominate, Duel or Event). The event cards are the main "story" element and spice up the game play. They range from moving another player back to making the next duel twice as deadly. There are also Pirates Code cards that stay in play and have a long term effect such as if you land on another player you must duel them.

The duels work in a paper-scissors-rock kinda fashion. Duel cards are divided into 3 colours: red beats blue beats green beats red. Each also has a number on it which represents the number of drinks losing dueler must take. Red has the highest numbers, blue has the lowest.

I have been working on this game for about a year and a half and have play tested it quite a few times. I am in the process of simplifying some of the cards and changing the board layout at the moment. Previously the board had splits in the track; the long way had "Event" squares and the short way had only "Drink" squares. The problem was people would only ever go the short way then complain that there was too much drinking.

Here are some images of the old version (0.2) that I am working on fixing atm and the v0.2 set of rules:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP: Space Pirates - a drinking baord game
Why not have any obvious symbols which tell what beats what instead of only colors?

Guess you could put three arrows on a circle where say the top one was red and the other two was on a 60 degree angle from that with one in the lower left corner and one in the lower right. Have those in colors to but with arrows pointing to each other to make it known immediately what beats what. Then just change the colors of the arrows.

Though we've had the issues (here on the board) with the color blind so maybe put a I, II and III on the arrows to which make it obvious and easy for them as-well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan McAlpine
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
a good game!
badge
a good game!
mbmbmbmbmb
It also has graphical representations on the cards but the colour blind thing is a good point, I'll look into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zumwalt
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'd play this, but I wonder if you are limiting the game's potential by making it a drinking game. Are drinking games popular with board gamers? (Maybe you don't care, and that's fine.) I'm just saying maybe there could be an alternate version that the whole family could play, then the adults switch it to the drinking version after the kids go to sleep. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Hmmmm... playtesting a drinking game! LOL

Do you ever get much useful feedback after the first 20 minutes or so? hahaha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan McAlpine
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
a good game!
badge
a good game!
mbmbmbmbmb
davezumwalt wrote:
I'd play this, but I wonder if you are limiting the game's potential by making it a drinking game. Are drinking games popular with board gamers? (Maybe you don't care, and that's fine.) I'm just saying maybe there could be an alternate version that the whole family could play, then the adults switch it to the drinking version after the kids go to sleep. Just a thought.

I wanted to specifically make a drinking, it was never meant to be family friendly. It is also aimed at a younger target audience and at "drinkers" rather than board gamers as lots of my friends enjoy both on a semi regular basis.

As for feed back, if I get too much after playing it then I know it hasn't worked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random idea for family friendly + drinking, maybe it won't work, but let's try it out...

What if the winner instead is the player that acruses the most "infamy," and getting into the black hole just triggers the end of the game and gives a good chunk of bonus infamy points to the player(s?) that get through.

Now, everything that "makes you drink" instead gives you infamy points (and drinks as well if playing the drinking version). Now suddently there is a little gamble/decision to make: do you rush for the black hole and avoid conflict, or do you decide you can't make it to the blackhole but could battle it out for infamy/drinks and win that way instead, regardless of who gets into the black hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan McAlpine
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
a good game!
badge
a good game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to change most of the Event cards if I were to make it family friendly but the Infamy Points are a really cool idea. I can't seem to upload the cards to BGG but I have linked to the photobucket upload of them so you can see the angle that the game is going for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.