NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing on from the original post in the Nightfall forum:

This variant is to introduce an AI player for playing both solo games and to add a 3rd player to an otherwise 2 player game (to reintroduce target choices and some politicking for those that prefer it). To play the variant with 2 players, use 1 AI deck. To play solo, use 2 AI decks.

AI decks:
Deck 1: Chan Jiang, Grotesque Revenant, Jerome Carceri and "Mad Jake"
Deck 2: All-Out Lunge, Koi Jiang, "Queen's Bishop" and Roland LeFontaine

Also see Nightfall AI decks.

Setup for solo play with 2 AI decks:
● Remove the AI cards from the draft pile.
● Deal 5 cards face up to commons with remaining draft cards.
● Deal 4 cards face down to self, 3 to one AI and 2 to the other.
● Select 1 card from your 4 as private, set aside as Deck 1's hand.
● Pick up the AI hand with 3 cards, select 1 as 2nd private, set aside as Deck 2's hand.
● Pick up the AI hand with 2 cards, select 1 as commons, remove the other from the game.
● Randomly select 1 card each from Deck 1 and Deck 2's hands and add to the commons, removing the rest from game.
● Gather 5 copies of each AI card instead of the full 7 and shuffle into 2 archives: one archive containing all 2 cost cards and one containing 3+ cost cards.
● Setup commons and your private archives normally.
● Give self and AI decks a starter deck, shuffle and draw initial hand of 5 cards.

Setup for 2 players with 1 AI deck:
● Remove the AI cards from the draft pile.
● Deal 5 cards face up to commons with remaining draft cards.
● Deal 4 cards face down to each player and 3 to the AI deck.
● Each player selects 1 card for a private archive, passing the other 3 clockwise. The player clockwise from the AI player is passed its 3 cards.
● Each player selects a 2nd card for a private archive, passing the other 2 clockwise. The player clockwise from the AI player is passed its 2 cards.
● Each player selects 1 card for the commons, removing the rest from the game.
● The player clockwise from the AI player randomly selects 1 of its cards to place into the commons, removing the other from the game.
● Gather 5 copies of each AI card instead of the full 7 and shuffle into 2 archives: one archive containing all 2 cost cards and one containing 3+ cost cards.
● Setup commons and your private archives normally.
● Give players and AI deck a starter deck, shuffle and draw initial hand of 5 cards.

Play / AI Logic:
Play normally starting with self (or random human).

Combat: AI attempts to divide attackers into 2 groups as close to 66% and 33% damage as possible, sending the higher toward the player with the greatest threat in play currently (most total minion health, if tie then most total strength, if tie then largest remaining hand, if tie then the player clockwise). Note, AI always blocks when able with goal to keep as many minions alive as possible. If AI has any Martial Law wounds, it uses all of its wounds for strength, targeting multiple minions in the 66% / 33% fashion.

Chain: Player counter-clockwise is in charge of playing the AI's hand on AI turn; otherwise the player whose turn it is controls the AI player. AI always plays "best" chain available (note this will auto adjust to the player's own skill level). Targeting preferences work the same as combat: 66% / 33% with greatest aimed at stronger player. Note that AI also plays best chain possible on opponent chains, but will always hold onto 1 minion for playing on its own turn if possible (AI does not try to hold onto actions). Note that AI's take into consideration how much strength and health a player will have after the chain completes as to decide on targeting. AI never plays "your chain" cards on opponent turns.

Claim: AI discards remaining hand and buys from most expensive pile possible, alternating between piles until unable to buy. AI will buy two 2 cost cards in a row if able (example: AI has 7 influence and 3+ stack has a 3 cost on top, so AI buys 3 cost, 2 cost and uses remaining 2 influence to buy another 2 cost).

Cleanup: Draw until 5 and activate a wound effect if possible

Variants:
● Several other possible AI decks are possible, especially if mixing the base game with Martial Law. If you find a deck mix that works particularly well, please post it so that others may enjoy the experience as well.
● AI decks can also be mixed with the constructed deck format.

In Faith, David Gregg
Matthew 22:36-40
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Corvus
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got into this game and was wondering if any AI decks had been developed for the newer sets. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phreddkroe wrote:
Just got into this game and was wondering if any AI decks had been developed for the newer sets. Thanks!

I haven't worked on any in particular, but they're not too difficult to create yourself:

- Focus on cheaper cards, mostly cost 2 or 3
- Pick 3 of the 6 colors
- Look for cards that link to and from those colors
- Choose 8 such cards, usually 6 minion and 2 action
- Place 3 minion and 1 action into each deck

Ideally you want to split the more expensive cards evenly between the 2 decks and also split colors in a way that the 2 decks will link between each other more often than not.

Give it a try and please do report back your results

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Corvus
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'll give it a try and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Nystrom
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phreddkroe wrote:

Based on the formula provided by s3rvant, I came up with these for Coldest War (wound deck devised of 15 CW wounds and 15 basic wounds and used the starter decks for CW):
-"Bone Cruncher", Foul Revenant, Gregor Dzanic, Full Battle Rattle
-Kaspar Udunian, Sophia Otrava, "Smiling Biter", All Fear's Revealed
In each AI deck above, at least two of the cards are capable of receiving their kickers. When I tried them out, I lost ("Bone Cruncher" AI kicked both my tail and the tail of the other AI). I did not activate combat text because 1) I forgot and 2) I wasn't sure how the AI would handle that.

So s3rvant, how would the AI handle combat text? Also, the CW starter deck includes a few cards that I was uncertain how the AI would respond. They are:
-"Clever Ivan": Would the AI replace the four looked-at cards or discard them? I played that the AI would always discard the cards to cycle through their deck faster.
-"Victor One": Since the AI decks are color-coordinated, would the AI ever claim an order from an opposing private archive? I played "no" since none of the other colors showing were really useful to the AI's deck, but I wasn't sure.
-Patrol Zombie: Would the AI ever exile to draw 2 cards? I played no, since the AI generally prefers to have minions in play, but I figured I should ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Nystrom
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phreddkroe wrote:

Tried out the recommended formula with Eastern Skies (wound deck was 15 ES wounds and 15 regular wounds, used ES starter decks):
-"Naidu", "Dread", Mochizuki Chiyome, Sink or Swim
-Songsuda, Kasim, Dagat Kasamaan, Eastern Arts
In both cases, one card could receive its kicker.

And then I broke the formula with this one:
-"Neuk-dae", "Sleeper", "Kaihime Go", Way of Mahout
Even though all the cards cost three influence, it worked out AMAZINGLY. The link text of "Kaihime Go" caused "Sleeper" to always kick. This AI deck often could not buy cards, so it's deck was very small, but highly effective. For most of the game, the AI only had six cards because chaining meant it rarely had three influence, but once it received one wound (conveniently an ES wound), the wound at least let the AI buy one card each turn thereafter.

I had a couple AI questions for s3rvant though:
-"Neuk-dae": Would any AI receive two wounds to discard this card from the chain? I played no, but I wasn't sure.
-"Naidu": Would the AI discard or replace the looked-at card(s)? I played discard to cycle the deck faster.
-"Brash" and Gertrude: Both these starter cards have combat text and I was not sure how the AI would handle combat text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patchouli18 wrote:
So s3rvant, how would the AI handle combat text? Also, the CW starter deck includes a few cards that I was uncertain how the AI would respond. They are:
-"Clever Ivan": Would the AI replace the four looked-at cards or discard them? I played that the AI would always discard the cards to cycle through their deck faster.
-"Victor One": Since the AI decks are color-coordinated, would the AI ever claim an order from an opposing private archive? I played "no" since none of the other colors showing were really useful to the AI's deck, but I wasn't sure.
-Patrol Zombie: Would the AI ever exile to draw 2 cards? I played no, since the AI generally prefers to have minions in play, but I figured I should ask.

For combat text I would only use it on their turn when it would be in their best interest to avoid seeing what cards they have when its your turn.

For Clever Ivan I would discard all 4 as you did to cycle the deck.

For Victor One I'd say you played it correctly. Only buy when it makes sense color-wise.

For Patrol Zombie I think AI should exile to draw when it's impossible to inflict meaningful damage, e.g., that's its only minion and you have a Yuri in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patchouli18 wrote:
I had a couple AI questions for s3rvant though:
-"Neuk-dae": Would any AI receive two wounds to discard this card from the chain? I played no, but I wasn't sure.
-"Naidu": Would the AI discard or replace the looked-at card(s)? I played discard to cycle the deck faster.
-"Brash" and Gertrude: Both these starter cards have combat text and I was not sure how the AI would handle combat text.

For Neuk-dae AI would pay the wounds if it was played just prior to your turn AND would be able to get through their defenses, e.g., they have no minions in play. This would be a very clear reduction in total wounds received, otherwise they wouldn't use the effect.

For Naidu the AI should probably always discard to cycle since AI can't benefit from peeking at what's coming next without also informing the player.

For Brash AI would pay the cost if it would clearly be able to inflict 2 wounds on the player.

For Gertrude the AI would probably avoid activating it unless there was something in the discard that remains in play such as JAREK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Nystrom
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phreddkroe wrote:

Assuming you have access to all the sets:
-"Cane Alpino", "Overwatch Two", Body Armor, Queue Up

This deck is wicked. Cane and Overwatch both draw cards when chained, Cane blocks multiple attacking minions, Body Armor keeps Cane around to attack even after all the blocking, and Queue Up lets you summon three. Plus, the minions are both blue to white while the actions are both white to blue. It was a little insane and it kicked butt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.