Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else noticed that creatures now die as opposed to being destroyed?

What constitutes dying? Why the change? Why can't I think of more questions?

Correction: As far as I can see, only one creature dies: The solemn simulacrum. What is this trickery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antti Karjalainen
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Dies" now replaces "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield". Short and sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnttiK wrote:
"Dies" now replaces "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield". Short and sweet.

Yes, this was an M12 terminology change. It makes sense to me, as "dying" is thematically what that trigger means for creatures. Though it is unfortunate that applying it to non-creatures for the sake of consistency sounds odd, which is why Wizards only did it for creatures.

In any event, "dies" will be standard terminology going forward and has already replaced the previous wording on the Oracle text for older cards. There are other cards in M12 that use it as well - Archon of Justice comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. It just seems... Odd. I kind of like the technicality of the language used on modern cards versus the less formal wording of, say, your average Arabian Nights card. But I guess this is a change I can live with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you have a thematic word for in play, "battlefield", it seems silly to not have a thematic word for being removed from play, "dies".

Personally, I prefer non-thematic names, but again who doesn't already use the word dies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
Personally, I prefer non-thematic names, but again who doesn't already use the word dies?

I usually prefer "goes away" XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack of spades wrote:
Vollick1979 wrote:

I usually prefer "goes away" XD

"Goes-away" could mean it was bounced to your hand, which wouldn't trigger the "placed in the graveyard from play."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Master of The Obvious" here...if you're dead, you're in a graveyard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
"Master of The Obvious" here...if you're dead, you're in a graveyard.

Yet there are plenty of ways to get into the graveyard without dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm eagerly awaiting the thematic word they'll use for discard. My money is on "forget."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Holden
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can remember, the only non-mechanical thematic words they had back when I started (7th ed) were Library and Graveyard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jack of spades wrote:
I see. It just seems... Odd. I kind of like the technicality of the language used on modern cards versus the less formal wording of, say, your average Arabian Nights card. But I guess this is a change I can live with.

It's still highly technical and formally worded. They've just introduced "dies" as syntactic sugar for the commonly used "is put into a graveyard from the battlefield" on creatures. Think of it as a macro or a function. They're just refactoring common functionality to make the code more legible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still annoyed that they got rid of Bury, especially since now they have Dies and Exiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Morland
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
I'm still annoyed that they got rid of Bury, especially since now they have Dies and Exiled.

But if I recall bury meant something different to destroy, it precludes regeneration?, and so while they've moved some terms to thematic this doesn't tend to include ones with odd rules exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:

Originally, Magic was pure theme. Words like "bury" were all over. As a consequence, Magic rules were a total blur. The alpha rulebook suggests resolving rules questions with a coin flip. As tournament Magic grew, this became an increasing problem, as judges were forced to make decisions on rulings which would affect the outcome of the game with nothing more than their common sense to guide them. This created a push towards using more legalize type wordings on cards, particularly with the sixth edition rules changes (which I believe is when bury was killed, and was replaced with spelling out exactly what it meant).

Much much later designers realized all this legalize was detracting from new players enjoyment and understanding of the game. This led to a push (in Magic 2010) to go back to the spirit of alpha with using thematic wording, while at the same time maintaining the technical rules clarity. This started with a straight translation of many words such as "in play," to the more thematic sounding "on the battlefield." They're continuing with updates like replacing "is put into the graveyard from the battlefield" with the much shorter and more thematic "dies." This doesn't represent the cards being less clear, and quite often has the opposite effect.

Anyway, to sum up, I think if the ability "destroy target creature and it can't be regenerated" was appearing on a lot of cards, they might possibly use some wording like "bury." The key thing to note, though, is that these changes happened more than 10 years apart, and R&D's philosophy has evolved quite a bit in that time, so it is no surprise they seem inconsistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:

I was annoyed about that at one point in time, too, but it's a rather opaque piece of terminology. When I first saw Terror, it said "Buries target creature. Cannot target black or artifact creatures." and I thought it was a bizarre card that prevented a creature from targeting other black or artifact creatures, so I see a good argument for spelling out what they really mean in this case. It's kind of a moot point these days, though, as burying is basically gone as a game mechanic. Killing effects now pretty much all allow regeneration to make regeneration more relevant and to make exiling more distinctive (and lots more effects exile these days).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathijs Booden
Netherlands
Leiden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
Killing effects now pretty much all allow regeneration to make regeneration more relevant and to make exiling more distinctive (and lots more effects exile these days).

Note that incinerate just returned in M12. It's in the same set as Cudgel Troll, a 4/3 regenerator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Appeal to Reason wrote:
Santiago wrote:
Killing effects now pretty much all allow regeneration to make regeneration more relevant and to make exiling more distinctive (and lots more effects exile these days).

Note that incinerate just returned in M12. It's in the same set as Cudgel Troll, a 4/3 regenerator.

Its like a sick joke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.