12 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game: 3p melee rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I just bought this and was able to start a three player game. I took Baratheon, while my opponents took Targayen and Stark.

i started off with a subpar hand and this would be a continuing trend throughout the game due to poor intrigue. Targaryen started off with a superb hand while Stark was in the middle of us. First turn plot saw Stannis killed by Stark due to Targayen's plot; with a deficiency of characters being my other problem. Soon enough though I get The Knight of flowers and Robert Baratheon out, which lets me ramp up power as well as win key challenges to boost my power. However my opponents(espeically Targ is able to ramp up his board position to something huge.) And then problem no.2 happens,my precarious position is knocked over with Stark plaing Valar Morghulis, taking away all my power from robert, The Knight of Flowers and Melisandra. Wiping out at least 5 power from me and leaving me with slim pickings. After this Stark is able to be in Targ's former position. However the lack of intriuge hurt as Targ used a few tricons to score enough power for the win.

Overall it was fun. My biggest problem was that the Bartheon deck didn't seem to connect like the the Stark and Targaryens ones did; but that could've been luck. Also 3p small council is not the best thing in the world just due to limited choices each round. Also why does the Targ deck have Maester Aemon? And is there a mulligan rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a mulligan rule.

Targaryen has Maester Aemon because (follow link to spoiler) http://towerofthehand.com/reference/k/00547/index.html.

Picking titles in a three player game ales more strategy on everyone's part. If one person chooses unwisely the next two players have a very easy time of the challenges phase.

Baratheon can be a little delicate, but you have beter ability to defend intrigue challenges than Stark, and eventually if someone hasn't won, they are going to have to play that Valar, hold a couple characters in hand if possible and play them after the reset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On Maester Aemon, if you're asking what use he is with no icons, notice that he can kneel to save himself. That way, when you lose a military challenge, you choose him for the claim, and just kneel him. You won't have to discard any cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was wondering why Targ had Maester Aemon when his ability can only go off on himself while he would be more useful in the Stark deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a thematic choice imo. Not only because of the spoiler referenced above, but because of Targaryen's house strengths, one of which is claim soak. Looking at the overall cardpool, Targaryen has a lot of ways to mitigate claim especially from military challenges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
danach81 wrote:
It was a thematic choice imo. Not only because of the spoiler referenced above, but because of Targaryen's house strengths, one of which is claim soak. Looking at the overall cardpool, Targaryen has a lot of ways to mitigate claim especially from military challenges.

That makes sense, one of my complaints with the game thus far is that the rulebook didn't give an overview of what each house did mechanically. My other problem is the insert and box being kinda bad and the whole buying two core sets for actual deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
darthbalmung wrote:
one of my complaints with the game thus far is that the rulebook didn't give an overview of what each house did mechanically

That's a fair gripe.

To sum it up really briefly:

Stark: The 'big military' house. Wins by killing opponent's stuff via high-claim military challenges and targetted killing effects (Guilty!, Robb Stark etc). It's also strong at defending challenges and tends to get cards that help it dig in and turtle. Finally, it's the house that 'search your deck' effects go to.

Lannister: The intrigue house. It gets more 'draw extra cards' effects than the other houses, it also gets 'free money' (Lannisport Weaponsmith, Tywin Lannister, etc). Lannister controls the board with kneel effects, then gradually creeps to victory over the course of several turns (it doesn't get many renown/power-grabbing effects, so gathers power slowly).

Baratheon: The power house. In direct contrast to Lannister, Baratheon draws very few extra cards but has hundreds of ways to rush to victory (be it with Renown characters or card-effects that steal opponents power directly). Baratheon gets plenty of effects that let it splurge out free / cheap characters quickly. Also, as it's often reliant on big-name renown uniques, it has a strong suite of effects that stand characters to let them participate in multiple challenges a turn.

Targaryen: Nearly rivals Baratheon as the power house. Doesn't do 'rush' in the same way, but dominates by killing opponents characters with burn (strength dropping) effects. Its big strength is its mastery of attachments, either zapping opponents' ones, or deploying its own to turn previously unassuming characters into tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthbalmung wrote:
danach81 wrote:

That makes sense, one of my complaints with the game thus far is that the rulebook didn't give an overview of what each house did mechanically. My other problem is the insert and box being kinda bad and the whole buying two core sets for actual deck building.

You don't have to buy two core sets for actual deck building... You do have to buy more than a core set for deck building... The core set is intended to let you play the game at an entry level. Enjoy the machinations and theme of the game without any work. If you want deck building then you need to go the next step and buy into the game at a deeper level, like the deluxe expansions they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
You don't have to buy two core sets for actual deck building... You do have to buy more than a core set for deck building... The core set is intended to let you play the game at an entry level. Enjoy the machinations and theme of the game without any work. If you want deck building then you need to go the next step and buy into the game at a deeper level, like the deluxe expansions they have.[/q]

Right now I'm trying to keep the houses even, so a deluxe expansion(except for Greyjoy or Martell) are not going to do what I want. Also the core set has enough nice cards in that are only 1xto justify grabbing it on the cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to point out that the Core Set serves a different purpose than some players assume. It is intended to be able to be played direct out of the box without having to put together decks and still be able to enjoy the game play. Hence the huge number of one-offs.

To go the deck building route, to customize the decks so they work the way you want you are going to have to buy more product. A second core set is certainly a way to get into the beginnings of deck building but that really will just give you an improved core deck. If you really want real deck building you pretty much need a deluxe expansion or a cycle of chapter packs. This can be frustrating for some players, which is understandable if they were expecting something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
Agent 57 wrote:
I just wanted to point out that the Core Set serves a different purpose than some players assume. It is intended to be able to be played direct out of the box without having to put together decks and still be able to enjoy the game play. Hence the huge number of one-offs.

To go the deck building route, to customize the decks so they work the way you want you are going to have to buy more product. A second core set is certainly a way to get into the beginnings of deck building but that really will just give you an improved core deck. If you really want real deck building you pretty much need a deluxe expansion or a cycle of chapter packs. This can be frustrating for some players, which is understandable if they were expecting something else.

I get that, and I don't have a problem with improving the core decks at first. Considering that my ultimate goal with this is combination playing with friends/playing in the local meta; a second core set seems like a good idea to me. After that I plan on getting Kings of the Sea+brotherhood with banner cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you are headed down the right path. Enjoy the journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.