Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay... (this is the precursor section).. I played this one time so far and plan to play it a few more times... but let me get my feelings of the first play out there for you.

There are a few qualifiers I would like you to know:

1) I'm a huge Star Trek fan, and yes... belong to a Star Trek fan club (it's really not as weird as you think) www.sfi.org

2) I bought this on a whim as a birthday gift
3) This was only my first play
4) Im not going to really be able to explain the full game as I am limited to 2000 words, and am not orderly thinking enough to do so anyway.
4) I is (yes... the grammar was done incorrectly to sound l337fULlY KOoL) an Ameritrash fan
5) all the pictures are not my own

Ok... so this is my take on my first play - and i'm gonna trash it a bit before I tell you what i like.

1) the rules are TERRIBLE. Let me say this cleary...

OMG.. zombie

the rulebook really sucks. HOWEVER, noticing the publisher, WhizKids, I have to ask the question, "have they put out many boardgames before?". Well, obviously they are proficient with Clix games, but im not sure about boardgames. Now before you blast me for ignorance, realize im trying to throw them a bone.

My issue is the more having to do with the arrangement of information. During our learning game, it was very convoluted trying to figure out what we were supposed to do. This led to a game that took a very long time, and was bogged down with rulebook searching. Essentialy, the rulebook told you how to set up the game, and then went straight into a "every action you can take in the game" section with several "see [other section] entries" (which were a bit difficult/time consuming to find).

A quick-start section would have been appreciated.

On to the next:
2) I'm a little disappointed at the scope of the game
The basic premise of the game is that you have three different "missions" you have to work your way through in the grander scope of your Stafleet mandate. How you work through them will tell you how well you handled the situation. Ie: the "story" progresses in reaction to how well you handle the last part of the story. So, like a choose your own adventure the story will change, but in response to how well you pwn'd the last encounter. Going from (say) a 5* star ending to a 1* star ending (which would = fail).

Having said this... each "mission" is only 3 encounters long. This means that you are taking the same mission over and over again... while this will be kind of cool for the first time you get a specific reaction to your success or fail, it will get old real quick.

*Big point coming*

The missions come on *heavy* (you're gonna break it before you bend it) card stock (and are quite nice) which probably added to the production value. I cant help but wonder why not just print a booklet with like 20 (50?! surprise ) different missions that you could use instead of the bulky limited 1 mission?

I guess the frustration is that this game could have easily be expanded to add a lot of variety to the story-line with just a little work. Honestly, Fantasy Flight would have hit this game out of the ballpark.

The sad thing is that I will probably have to pay $40 to expand this game to bring more needed missions on overly bulky cards. My hope is that eventually fans will come out with their own missions that you can print out. Honestly, while the nice thick mission cards are nice, you could do the same thing with a piece of paper hosting the information. Seriously.. all you need is a booklet ala "Betrayal at House on the Hill".

3) the quality of the cards are inconsistent
Now, in the last it sounded like i complained about the heavy stock.. however, that's not the case - i appreciate the heavy stock, but wish we could have got double the amount.
Now (again).. its weird how you have majorly high quality stock cards, and then the playing cards seem little more than paper. They're a bit more than printer paper.. but they are flimsy. Probably half the thickness of your standard fair card... ie. Agricola, Ticket to Ride, War of the Ring.
Why the discrepancy?

4) My cards were all warped - which was the inspiration for my title. Seriously... all the flimsy stock are bowed. Disappointing.

5) Kirks eyes are freaking HUGE. The models are actually really cool.. but there was some printing errors, and some of the models seem to have massive eyes. It's become fun in our family to say Star Trek quotes while pulling our eyes open as wide as we can.

OK.. Time for the good

1) As a Star Trek fan, the $50 is worthwile. We've (fans) become accustomed to getting mugged by Paramount and so honestly, the value you get in Trek memorabilia is worth the $50 (considering you get a game as well). Honestly, I'm amazed we didn't get rocked for $60.

a) the minis are really cool(minus the large eyes)and are painted beautifully. The coolest things is the Enterprise and the Klingons battleship.. seriously cool. Also the Uhura figurine is especially awesome.

2) Reiner Knizia - this means the guy is going to be decent. The game is not bad... (although its not up to par (so far) with LOTR).

In conclusion:
I kind of have a niggling feeling i should have bought "Fury of Dracula" instead, but am able to justify this purchase because I am a card-carrying Trek Fan.

I'm optimistic that once we get the rules down (gawd.. the rulebook is horrible) it might work its way up in my internal rankings.

Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gjnave wrote:
It's become fun in our family to say Star Trek quotes while pulling our eyes open as wide as we can.

LOL -- that just made me crack up!

Nice review. Sounds like a good purchase, although you should definitely pick up Fury of Dracula as well (great game). Thanks for posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally picked up my copy too, definitely better then Fury of Dracula which felt like a big game of clue with random elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geddy Lee
msg tools
Why do people use "LOL" I mean who cares if you laugh out loud laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geddy Lee
msg tools
gjnave wrote:
Okay... (this is the precursor section).. I played this one time so far and plan to play it a few more times... but let me get my feelings of the first play out there for you.

There are a few qualifiers I would like you to know:

1) I'm a huge Star Trek fan, and yes... belong to a Star Trek fan club (it's really not as weird as you think) www.sfi.org

2) I bought this on a whim as a birthday gift
3) This was only my first play
4) Im not going to really be able to explain the full game as I am limited to 2000 words, and am not orderly thinking enough to do so anyway.
4) I is (yes... the grammar was done incorrectly to sound l337fULlY KOoL) an Ameritrash fan
5) all the pictures are not my own

Ok... so this is my take on my first play - and i'm gonna trash it a bit before I tell you what i like.

1) the rules are TERRIBLE. Let me say this cleary...

OMG.. zombie

the rulebook really sucks. HOWEVER, noticing the publisher, WhizKids, I have to ask the question, "have they put out many boardgames before?". Well, obviously they are proficient with Clix games, but im not sure about boardgames. Now before you blast me for ignorance, realize im trying to throw them a bone.

My issue is the more having to do with the arrangement of information. During our learning game, it was very convoluted trying to figure out what we were supposed to do. This led to a game that took a very long time, and was bogged down with rulebook searching. Essentialy, the rulebook told you how to set up the game, and then went straight into a "every action you can take in the game" section with several "see [other section] entries" (which were a bit difficult/time consuming to find).

A quick-start section would have been appreciated.

On to the next:
2) I'm a little disappointed at the scope of the game
The basic premise of the game is that you have three different "missions" you have to work your way through in the grander scope of your Stafleet mandate. How you work through them will tell you how well you handled the situation. Ie: the "story" progresses in reaction to how well you handle the last part of the story. So, like a choose your own adventure the story will change, but in response to how well you pwn'd the last encounter. Going from (say) a 5* star ending to a 1* star ending (which would = fail).

Having said this... each "mission" is only 3 encounters long. This means that you are taking the same mission over and over again... while this will be kind of cool for the first time you get a specific reaction to your success or fail, it will get old real quick.

*Big point coming*

The missions come on *heavy* (you're gonna break it before you bend it) card stock (and are quite nice) which probably added to the production value. I cant help but wonder why not just print a booklet with like 20 (50?! surprise ) different missions that you could use instead of the bulky limited 1 mission?

I guess the frustration is that this game could have easily be expanded to add a lot of variety to the story-line with just a little work. Honestly, Fantasy Flight would have hit this game out of the ballpark.

The sad thing is that I will probably have to pay $40 to expand this game to bring more needed missions on overly bulky cards. My hope is that eventually fans will come out with their own missions that you can print out. Honestly, while the nice thick mission cards are nice, you could do the same thing with a piece of paper hosting the information. Seriously.. all you need is a booklet ala "Betrayal at House on the Hill".

3) the quality of the cards are inconsistent
Now, in the last it sounded like i complained about the heavy stock.. however, that's not the case - i appreciate the heavy stock, but wish we could have got double the amount.
Now (again).. its weird how you have majorly high quality stock cards, and then the playing cards seem little more than paper. They're a bit more than printer paper.. but they are flimsy. Probably half the thickness of your standard fair card... ie. Agricola, Ticket to Ride, War of the Ring.
Why the discrepancy?

4) My cards were all warped - which was the inspiration for my title. Seriously... all the flimsy stock are bowed. Disappointing.

5) Kirks eyes are freaking HUGE. The models are actually really cool.. but there was some printing errors, and some of the models seem to have massive eyes. It's become fun in our family to say Star Trek quotes while pulling our eyes open as wide as we can.

OK.. Time for the good

1) As a Star Trek fan, the $50 is worthwile. We've (fans) become accustomed to getting mugged by Paramount and so honestly, the value you get in Trek memorabilia is worth the $50 (considering you get a game as well). Honestly, I'm amazed we didn't get rocked for $60.

a) the minis are really cool(minus the large eyes)and are painted beautifully. The coolest things is the Enterprise and the Klingons battleship.. seriously cool. Also the Uhura figurine is especially awesome.

2) Reiner Knizia - this means the guy is going to be decent. The game is not bad... (although its not up to par (so far) with LOTR).

In conclusion:
I kind of have a niggling feeling i should have bought "Fury of Dracula" instead, but am able to justify this purchase because I am a card-carrying Trek Fan.

I'm optimistic that once we get the rules down (gawd.. the rulebook is horrible) it might work its way up in my internal rankings.

Thanks for reading.
wow I found the book very good and helpful maybe you are holding yours upside down

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.