Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, you don't have to be female, or white, or single!

Looking for a PBeM for Julius Caesar on VASSAL. I'll suffer a noob to VASSAL if you commit to learning it.

geekmail me.

Game will be at a casual pace using VASSAL *.vlog files. I can usually do a move each evening. I've never played it on VASSAL so I'm not sure how the mechanics will play out, but let's give it a shot. If it fails, it fails.

geekmail me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal is a game engine, that allows you to PBeM, but as if you are playing face-to-face. That means that you are able to finish a game of Julius Caesar in about 2 to 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for sides:

1d20 = (4) = 4

You're up, joe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1d20 = (6) = 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 30081. ShallowThought
  • 1d20 =
  • (6) =
  • Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:26 pm
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar or Pompey?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pompey please (I did email you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: Caesar will not work very well via PBeM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
FYI: Caesar will not work very well via PBeM.

Can you elaborate why?

Is Hammer of the Scots going to be the same issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the main reason was the Vassal module, rather than the game. We'd agreed beforehand that we'd give each other instructions on when to retreat, priority for taking hits etc. So that one of us could resolve a battle without ping-ponging a log file back and forth on every roll. The module wouldn't let a player touch the opponents blocks at all however. We tried a second time in 'solitaire' mode and that had different issues, I forget what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
I think the main reason was the Vassal module, rather than the game. We'd agreed beforehand that we'd give each other instructions on when to retreat, priority for taking hits etc. So that one of us could resolve a battle without ping-ponging a log file back and forth on every roll. The module wouldn't let a player touch the opponents blocks at all however. We tried a second time in 'solitaire' mode and that had different issues, I forget what.

Ah, so it's just the speed issue. I can see how that would get tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Joe said. Same for HotS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. At the risk of straying off topic too much, can you mention if there are any similarly styled war games that are more suited for pbem in that they allow more of the game to be carried out without constant checks with the other player for input? By 'similarly styled', I mean block style with hidden units such as HotS, JC, Sekigahara, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Thanks guys. At the risk of straying off topic too much, can you mention if there are any similarly styled war games that are more suited for pbem in that they allow more of the game to be carried out without constant checks with the other player for input? By 'similarly styled', I mean block style with hidden units such as HotS, JC, Sekigahara, etc.

Warriors of God isn't a block game, but has some similarities to HotS (area movement, buckets of dice). It plays very well PBEM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands and Colors: Ancients works well on VASSAL using PBeM, although its not hidden units. I've played half a dozen games of ancients by email, and it flows pretty easily.

You get the 'fog of war' in CC:A via the cards, however, so the feeling is there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.