Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

A winning bidder in one of my auctions hasn't responded to any of my geekmails, and the auction ended a week ago Wednesday (July 13th). He's logged in as recently as yesterday, so I have to assume he's received them. Is there a standard amount of time before I can offer the game to the second place bidder? And is there any kind of feedback for a non-responding bidder here? The second thing isn't a big deal, I just want to clear out the game (it went for only $18).

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think if you haven't written to him already giving him a deadline to make arrangements, do so. Today is saturday so keep the weekend in mind, maybe make the deadline Monday evening.

Past that if you fail to hear back, offering it to the next highest bidder is totally acceptable, but they do have the right to refuse. You can just go down the line if that happens, or re-list.

Sorry to hear, I very much enjoy the community auctions on here and would like them to stay as safe as possible to participate in, best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. He's a new user here, I don't think he's being a jerk, just maybe not really familiar with what he's doing or some such. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Take a fingernail for every day he does not pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Nanes
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, the geek auctions are awesome, but the entire process is kind of confusing since the BGG Marketplace and the Geeklist Auctions aren't integrated. Check-out process is a bit confusing to a new user (and old ones like me to this day). Basically, you wait til auction is over, then sometimes seller sends a follow-up email to a link in the marketplace, sometimes they don't, then the buyer confirms it, then you wait again for the seller to give payment info, then you pay Paypal, etc. Not exactly eBay (and not exactly would I expect it to be). Now, this is in no way a slight on BGG, because this community auction is awesome, but to a new user, the entire process can be overwhelming. I've literally gotten geekmails a few days after an auction asking "Well? Where's your payment?" when I hadn't gotten a single geekmail from anyone. Anyway, sorry to ramble, just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Take a fingernail for every day he does not pay.

I prefer to go with the classics. I suggest taking a pound of flesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a rope! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If and when I hold an auction for any of my games, I'll very likely include a user-friendly set of instructions for "What will happen if you win an auction item" that will include:

1.) I'll send you a Marketplace Link
--I'll explain the "why" of this, regarding the 3%, etc.
2.) You'll click on that link and "Buy" the game through BGG.
3.) I'll confirm through BGG with total due (with shipping), etc.
4.) You'll then pay me through Paypal at this address, etc.
5.) I'll ship your game.

Because, I agree, there are a lot of steps. And, I tend to over explain things just in case.

As to the OP, I'd give him till Monday and then contact the next person down the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
Hi,

A winning bidder in one of my auctions hasn't responded to any of my geekmails, and the auction ended a week ago Wednesday (July 13th). He's logged in as recently as yesterday, so I have to assume he's received them. Is there a standard amount of time before I can offer the game to the second place bidder? And is there any kind of feedback for a non-responding bidder here? The second thing isn't a big deal, I just want to clear out the game (it went for only $18).

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Try posting on the item he won. Perhaps he doesn't know how to use the Geekmail but can figure out the subscriptions. (I think default is that you are subscribed to a geeklist item as soon as you comment on it).

Post that he has 24 hours (or whatever you want to make the cut off) and contact the next lowest bidder as a contingency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Try posting on the item he won. Perhaps he doesn't know how to use the Geekmail but can figure out the subscriptions. (I think default is that you are subscribed to a geeklist item as soon as you comment on it).

Post that he has 24 hours (or whatever you want to make the cut off) and contact the next lowest bidder as a contingency.

I agree, if he's a new user here he might not know how to use geekmail. BGG isn't exactly an intuitive site. It's incredibly powerful once you figure it out, but until you do it's a pretty daunting place. Like Brian said, make a post on the item in the geeklist. Give him a couple of days and then move on with how you want to handle the contingency plan if he doesn't respond. I think contacting the next highest bidder or canceling the auction out right would both be appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
Thanks. He's a new user here, I don't think he's being a jerk, just maybe not really familiar with what he's doing or some such. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris

Whew, good it's not me, I was beginning to wonder if I missed a Geekmail or not. I keep thinking there's one out there I haven't taken care of, but haven't found on.

I think it's just one of those dreams, like showing up to school and finding out there's a big test you didn't know about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
fatgreta wrote:

Chris

Whew, good it's not me, I was beginning to wonder if I missed a Geekmail or not. I keep thinking there's one out there I haven't taken care of, but haven't found on.

I think it's just one of those dreams, like showing up to school and finding out there's a big test you didn't know about.

Yeah, I double checked myself too.

That stupid MetaList has me bidding on all sorts of stuff that I can barely remember all that I won. And scheduling pick-ups at GenCon just makes it all the more difficult to recall what has been paid and what I am supposed to be getting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marketplace = 1/good. For the money sunk into this site, you think that something better would have been developed by now... not to mention the revenue stream that a functioning marketplace would generate for BGG.

slateman wrote:
Honestly, the geek auctions are awesome, but the entire process is kind of confusing since the BGG Marketplace and the Geeklist Auctions aren't integrated. Check-out process is a bit confusing to a new user (and old ones like me to this day). Basically, you wait til auction is over, then sometimes seller sends a follow-up email to a link in the marketplace, sometimes they don't, then the buyer confirms it, then you wait again for the seller to give payment info, then you pay Paypal, etc. Not exactly eBay (and not exactly would I expect it to be). Now, this is in no way a slight on BGG, because this community auction is awesome, but to a new user, the entire process can be overwhelming. I've literally gotten geekmails a few days after an auction asking "Well? Where's your payment?" when I hadn't gotten a single geekmail from anyone. Anyway, sorry to ramble, just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also contact Octavian the Admin. He handles marketplace issues. Then with Octavian's help if you can't get it resolved, I'd try to sell it to the next bidder.

I'd also contact user 'rumble' and see if it makes sense to post the users name on this geeklist of bad traders, just as a warning to other folks. I did this with one math trader who didn't deliver her end, but only after 3-4 months of trying everything else to get her to follow up. She finally followed up about 18 months later, and because I was then satisfied I removed her name from the post.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17839/deadbeat-slacker...

Unfortunately since it's a new user, they may not feel a sense of commitment. Just be sure to be clear and your e-mails, and save them so you can clearly show the steps you took.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.