Subject: Disappearing Bid in Auction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running a geeklist auction and a BGG user had made a pretty substantial bid and that bid has now just completely disappeared. I think he may have bid on some other games too but I'm not sure. I also don't remember who it was. I tried to track it down but couldn't.

So, is there not much I can do about it? The bid took an item from $8 to $25 and now it's back to $9. I think others who may have been interested in the game already saw it at $25 and did not bid and will not come back. Anyway, just kind of frustrating. I've run three other auctions and this has never happened before. Any advice would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some people tip .01, .02, .03 on each consecutive bid in their auctions. While I don't think you could hold people to their bids, at least you'd be able to track it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice - I thumbed them all and even found the appropriate thumb in my list, but I can't then track down the post. I had never thought of the GG as a way to track bidders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Most interesting. I had the same thing in an auction where I was a bidder. Someone overbid me. I stopped watching the auction as I had already bid my max. The next thing I knew, the seller was contacting me as the winning bid. Turns out the seller never followed through on the deal, but that is another story for another day.

I don't see anyway to prevent it from happening and consider it to be a problem and a flaw in the site as it applies to auctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlhovan wrote:

Most interesting. I had the same thing in an auction where I was a bidder. Someone overbid me. I stopped watching the auction as I had already bid my max. The next thing I knew, the seller was contacting me as the winning bid. Turns out the seller never followed through on the deal, but that is another story for another day.

I don't see anyway to prevent it from happening and consider it to be a problem and a flaw in the site as it applies to auctions.

But you got the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlhovan wrote:

That is interesting. Since I've never run into it before, I've never thought of it but this could be a way to manipulate the geeklist auctions. If someone bids high early, he keeps others away. He could delete a post and then bid lower or, more likely, someone he knows or another account could bid lower than his original.

I also don't see any way to prevent it other than to keep a hard copy of bids as they come in. Just another reason BGG needs a real auction system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that someone just had bidder's remorse, or found another place that they could get it less expensively.

Another thing that I've seen done is to just quote the high bidder's post. That way even if they delete it, you've still got the bidder and the bid info inside your quote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
mlhovan wrote:

But you got the game

Nope, I did not get the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.