Subject: Bland Graphics! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Nelson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
This looks like a good players' game, but good grief, are the graphics bland on this release! I think the map, counters and cards are just flavorless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
One man's bland is another man's functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
asgard636 wrote:
This looks like a good players' game, but good grief, are the graphics bland on this release! I think the map, counters and cards are just flavorless!

Sorry about the map. GMT designed it like this for functionality. They are perhaps abit bland, but they are supposed to be better when you play.

personally I also like the last VPG version of the map very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the current graphics helped sell me on the game actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:

Cool. I like the counters and cards: they are clear, simple and easy to read. Don't forget that those counters are almost 1 inch!

As for the map, I do find the final printed result better than a downloaded .jpg, there is some subtle hues in the terrain that don't show off very well on a computer screen.

And one thing you will never see on my map is Hex Numbers. I really dislike them, and find that they mar thehexes for usually very little purpose. I far prefer putting set-up maps for the scenarios than having players spend their precious gaming time in looking at small hexnumbers!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
asgard636 wrote:

The highlighted part is what I care about. And my old eyes (now that I need reading glasses) are far more interested in clarity and ease of use than pretty.

Art is something to decorate my walls with and can enjoy no matter how busy, abstract, or whatever it is. Games are things I need to be able to concentrate on and so I want clean clear functional art and graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:

Me, too. When I saw the final map and counters, I bumped it up from "like to have" to "love to have". I think it has exactly the right balance between beautiful and functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have missed the pre-order price, but I saw this post and was reminded I hadn't put in my order yet.

I plan on handing my 1st edition (w/expansions) down to a much younger protege.

As far as the graphics are concerned, as long as they are not two-tone 1970's vintage SPI style, they will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW you do have the choice between 4 different styles of maps for this game.

1- The first 2008 very basic map:

2- The graphically improved VPG map:

3- The "Command Mag Japan" map:

4- The GMT map:

I also did late last year a map combining the graphics of #2 with the Tables of #4, but playable in an East-West orientation. I could post it here in an High-Resolution .jpg version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
Although I tend to prefer green for clear terrain rather than tan, I still think the GMT map is the best of the lot.

And those nice big counters (with rounded corners! no clipping required!) will make this a very handsome game indeed.

One other nice thing about this map is that ALL the charts are printed on it! GMT insisted upon this. I did ask that they should also be included on separate sheets in case players prefer to sit in a "East-West" orientation around the board.

Note also that optional counters sporting AFV profiles have been added, at the demand of many players.

Given the big counters, big hexes, large typeset and very low stacking, this game should be very easy to play. I mean, you can set-up the campaign game in a few minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well.. I just got my Designer's copy of the game today.

And I am FULLY satisfied with the printed map. It's just perfect.

BTW the counters are "Out of this world". Large, thick, with rounded edges, and no dog-ears to remove!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Devine
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great--can't wait to get my hands on this. This is going to be *the* player's game when it comes to the Eastern Front.

Thanks for all your efforts Carl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Denniz_D wrote:
Sounds great--can't wait to get my hands on this. This is going to be *the* player's game when it comes to the Eastern Front.

Thanks for all your efforts Carl!

Thanks Dennis! I hope that each and every buyer will enjoy my "small" East-Front game and that it'll get played and played and played...

More of the same on the way: NR2! is alreay available, NR3! (France 40) will be soon, and NR4! (italy 43-45) is in the works.

I'm also starting a more "Tactical" No Retreat! series: The first two topics will be the German Air assault on Crete, 1941, and the Battle for Velikie Luki, USSR, 1942-43.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh how I would love a NR:WW2... The whole ETO in this nifty format/scale. whistle cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FderGrosse wrote:
Oh how I would love a NR:WW2... The whole ETO in this nifty format/scale. whistle cool

Teh Whole ETO would be hard to do at the same scale because it would probably need many more counters that I'm ready to pur in a game. But perhaps, one day.

Before this I'll tackle ETO WWI for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NR: ETO WWI works for me too.

But the thought of something to ease the loss of my old Hitler's War - maybe not the best game in the world, but there was something special about playing the whole shebang without spending two weeks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FderGrosse wrote:

But the thought of something to ease the loss of my old Hitler's War - maybe not the best game in the world, but there was something special about playing the whole shebang without spending two weeks...

Oh I see... A WW2 game at the scale of Hitler's War but also using cards. I guess it can be done, but the "NR!" game system would probably not be the best for this. Past a certain scale the West Europe part of the game is not very interesting to play because there is so few hexes. Or perhaps a map with different scales for different portions of the front would be better. You coudl have 3 different areas: Western Europe, East (Russia) and South (Med).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
FderGrosse wrote:

Oh I see... A WW2 game at the scale of Hitler's War but also using cards. I guess it can be done, but the "NR!" game system would probably not be the best for this. Past a certain scale the West Europe part of the game is not very interesting to play because there is so few hexes. Or perhaps a map with different scales for different portions of the front would be better. You coudl have 3 different areas: Western Europe, East (Russia) and South (Med).

True, there is a certain minimum front width that is hard to go below... I suppose the Totaler Krieg!/3R size map is somewhere near the minimum. HW was certainly below, but the FOW and advance system kind of made it work anyway.

Ah well, I'll happily start with NR: TRF and take it from there.

...GMT...send...game...now...googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.