Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night and I've managed to actually get my family to come over and play a boardgame. Got the pizza, got beer, got game.

We are playing "Escape in the Truck". I'll be controlling the zombies and my family will be playing the following heroes:

Jake Cartwright
Billy
Sally
Sheriff Anderson

SO after a modicum of pain trying to get everyone to focus so I can explain the rules (anyone ever tried to herd cats before?), I point out that Sheriff Anderson will start in the middle of the board (on the truck) due to the lack of a police station. "So, this also means he get's a card".

Pulling over the card... "Just what i needed" *sigh*. So Sheriff Anderson starts on the car with the gasoline.

"Okay Billy its your turn, you probably want to search the highschool." So Billy picks a card and gets "Just what i needed" *double sigh*. So now they have the keys.

"Everyone, run for the car".

Two turns later the game was over, with not taking enough time to have been fun, but taking enough time that a new game would take us too late into the night.

*facepalm*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow this is funny...

But it's no movie, but just the short trailer. Next time play this without that card to play out what's happened during those parts thr trailer didn't show.

Great report, though. I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd suggest adding a house rule that you can't start with a scenario search item (or Just What I Needed). Draw again, and then reshuffle the item if necessary.

Of course, this doesn't help if they're found in the first turn of searching, but at least it slightly reduces the odds of a non-game happening. I think the odds are pretty small to begin with, but people always want to post when it happens (understandably), so reading the forums, you would think it happens all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! Not so much a movie, but one of those awful trailers where the show you the only three good parts of the film - which you only realise when you sit through the whole film and realise that you've already seen the film (50 times through, once every time the trailer ran for the 12 months before the film was released)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This actually happened to us too, with minor differences in detail - the second item turned up with the first Hero search. However, the two remaining Heroes has a hell of a time getting to the centre, and the two already in the centre had to run & help them. They did win fairly quickly, but it was a decent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't they FAQ this from happening?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Didn't they FAQ this from happening?

hmm.... *goes and looks for a FAQ*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Nave
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant find an official FAQ - but found an unofficial one -
[geekurl=http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/3196jljvyz/LNOE__FAQ_v3.pdf?]Unofficial FAQ[/geekurl]

didnt say anything though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an Optional Rule in SotF rulesheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had the heroes draw the cards they needed in their first turn as well. We just gave them an additional goal: Kill 15 zombies as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
177ark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice story, thanks for sharing it, I lol'd.

Seeing how it was a first game for everyone else, I would fear it set their perceptions of the game's difficulty low. I can imagine the second game by the third turn someone saying, "Why haven't we won yet?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phrank Johnston
United States
Plainfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure exactly where it's stated; either the official FAQ, the SotF rules, or somewhere else...

There's a rule that states something like this- if you would get a card at the start of the game, and you get a Scenario Search Item OR a "tutor" card like Just What I Needed et al, you shuffle it back in and get another. Then, if you get a SSI or Tutor AGAIN, you can keep it.

Again, not sure WHERE it's stated, but it's in there somewhere, and very handy for preventing this type of super-fast game! Hope this helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.