Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Smith
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So in Europe this game is called Black Peter, and just as the Old Made is undesirable in that game, so too is Black Peter in that version of the game.

Note the black-face characters pictured in the image section above...awkward, right?

blush

This reminds me of how the "Ten Little Indians" song was originally "Ten Little Niggers." Agatha Christie's famous mystery novel that some of us know by "Ten Little Indians" was originally titled "Ten Little Niggers."

It's title is now "And Then There Were None" as "...Indians" is, of course, racist as all hell, too. It's called revisionist history. We have literally erased this stuff from the cultural fabric, and quite efficiently, I might add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
This just begins to scratch the surface!

Saying that the Old Maid is not desireable both denigrates and demeans those who may have lived longer than their comtemporaries and those who may be employed in the housekeeping/personal services industry.

The psychic scarring to those who fit both categories is beyond my meagre ability to describe.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Slot
Denmark
Brøndbyøster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to play this with a deck of animal cards in the late eighties in Denmark when I was a child - so Black Peter would be the black cat. I never thought of it as referring to a human then.. But of course that may have been the case historically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.