Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just getting to grips with this game, hope this isn't a stupid question:

King Spider has a couple of effects which say players must exhaust 1 or 2 characters. What happens if all characters are already exhausted, or you don't have enough to exhaust 2? I'm guessing nothing happens, it's just the must keyword which made me question it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weateallthepies wrote:

King Spider has a couple of effects which say players must exhaust 1 or 2 characters. What happens if all characters are already exhausted, or you don't have enough to exhaust 2? I'm guessing nothing happens, it's just the must keyword which made me question it.

I regret to say that you will rip open a hole in the space-time continuum if you must exhaust but can't
;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if the rules address this specifically, but I just keep going without the "must" ever happening. Sometimes, you just get lucky! (But not very often in this game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:

I regret to say that you will rip open a hole in the space-time continuum if you must exhaust but can't

Ah it is as I feared then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godurmyall wrote:
Not sure if the rules address this specifically, but I just keep going without the "must" ever happening. Sometimes, you just get lucky! (But not very often in this game.)

That's what I thought, although I think if you are in that situation you probably won't be lucky for long.

I think I was just confused with some other game where a similar situation causes you damage or something and I convinced myself I couldn't find it in the rules. Child inflicted sleep deprivation isn't helping play this game smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weateallthepies wrote:
...Child inflicted sleep deprivation isn't helping play this game smoothly.

LOL! I just finished up my last game of the evening while feeding our youngest a bottle. She's teething, had a wet diaper, etc. I sat there with her in my arms as my little witness to my glorious success along the Anduin River. (Granted, it was already a guaranteed victory for me by then, but I'm sure she's immensely proud of her dad.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godurmyall wrote:
weateallthepies wrote:

LOL! I just finished up my last game of the evening while feeding our youngest a bottle. She's teething, had a wet diaper, etc. I sat there with her in my arms as my little witness to my glorious success along the Anduin River. (Granted, it was already a guaranteed victory for me by then, but I'm sure she's immensely proud of her dad.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snailien
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
weateallthepies wrote:

Any time a game effect forces you to do an action, such as King Spider's when revealed or shadow effect, you do as much as you can and then continue with the game. In this case, if you only have 1 unexhausted character and are resolving King Spider's shadow text while his attack goes undefended, you must still exhaust your one unexhausted character.

However, if you are playing a card and its cost is to exhaust 2 characters, you cannot do this unless you can pay the cost by exhausting 2 characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom DeFrank
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
weateallthepies wrote:

This is commonly called an effect "fizzle".

You pay for each effect one at a time until you cannot pay anymore, then the effect is over. (the effect fizzles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godurmyall wrote:
weateallthepies wrote:

Nice. My youngest is in a rather destructive phase so I'm not sure that's going to work. She already dropped some of my prized cardboard into a cup of tea so I'm keeping her away from this one.

She's also a budding magician, she can make 5.30am. magically appear without warning, and seems to be aiming for some sort of David Blaine style act of sleep deprivation which she is kind enough to include me in.

The older one sleeps and likes games though, so there is hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snailien wrote:
Any time a game effect forces you to do an action, such as King Spider's when revealed or shadow effect, you do as much as you can and then continue with the game. In this case, if you only have 1 unexhausted character and are resolving King Spider's shadow text while his attack goes undefended, you must still exhaust your one unexhausted character.

However, if you are playing a card and its cost is to exhaust 2 characters, you cannot do this unless you can pay the cost by exhausting 2 characters.

Thank you for the very clear explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeFrank wrote:

This is commonly called an effect "fizzle".

You pay for each effect one at a time until you cannot pay anymore, then the effect is over. (the effect fizzles)

My brain fizzles. Oh well, the children are in bed, I have wine and I shall quest once again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.