18 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beginner rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
So after playing a few games I've come across some rules questions.
1. Does Fleeing to the Wall include locations that are attached to house cards?
2. Where can I find a detailed chart of timing during challenges? As is, it seems that some cards can be easily abused.
3. Also related to the above question; what's the timing of abilities that trigger during dominance? Viserion for example, can spend 4 gold to kill a character, does that gold get added for dominance first or there a trade off here?
4. When exactly do you collect gold during a turn? The rulebook's not clearon this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No, when you play it as an attachment it gets treated as such from that point forward.
2) The FAQ to the rescue. Timing charts start at page 18
3)Dominance is calculated as the first thing in the dominance phase. Player actions come after this. So yes the gold would contribute to your dominance total and be able to be spent on something like Viserion.
4) A player counts their gold when they become active player during the Marshalling phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
A follow up to one, are these valid for Mad King's Legacy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom DeFrank
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
darthbalmung wrote:
A follow up to one, are these valid for Mad King's Legacy?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. Althoguht I have some more questions
1. For characters like Ser Davos Seaworth and Viserys in the core set, doe their abilities trigger in response to another card that has the word save on them?
2. Does Milk of the Poppy also cancel attachments?
3. Motley won't go off for passive/forced abilities,right?
I'mprety sure I know the answers, ubt I want to be sure that I'm right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Their abilities trigger in response to them being chosen to be killed.
2) No
3) In order for it to be considered a triggered ability it will have a bold Phase or Response. So passives would not be affected by motley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) isn't precisely correct. Their abilities must be triggered to save themselves and then the return to hand part kicks in. If you save them with another card's effect then you may not trigger their ability since they are no longer marked for death (barring some interaction with deadly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
Agent 57 wrote:
1) isn't precisely correct. Their abilities must be triggered to save themselves and then the return to hand part kicks in. If you save them with another card's effect then you may not trigger their ability since they are no longer marked for death (barring some interaction with deadly).

So making sure I get this straight, If I say select to kill Davos for claim from losing a military challenge, then I can pay a gold to keep him in play or return him to my hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats right. You can choose someone for claim and then save them. Bodyguard and gilded plate are two attachments that work similarly.

Note, however, that if a character cannot be killed due to a card effect (such as the Power of Blood plot) then you may not choose that person to fulfill claim if you have other choices. There is a distinction between saves and cannot be killed powers.

I know there's a lot of tricky stuff, but keep on going. Most of it is intuitive and the curve certainly slows way down soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
buzhannon wrote:
Thats right. You can choose someone for claim and then save them. Bodyguard and gilded plate are two attachments that work similarly.

Note, however, that if a character cannot be killed due to a card effect (such as the Power of Blood plot) then you may not choose that person to fulfill claim if you have other choices. There is a distinction between saves and cannot be killed powers.

I know there's a lot of tricky stuff, but keep on going. Most of it is intuitive and the curve certainly slows way down soon.

I'd say that's more a matter of poor wording since as phrased it made me think that I needed an attachment to trigger their effect. Onthe other hand this also makes sense.

Thank for all your help guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it is more a matter of you not being fluent in AGot-ese yet. When a card says do this thing as part of it's triggered ability then that is what the ability itself does. Otherwise it will say when this thing happens do this other thing, in which ase the first part is the trigger and the second part is the ability.

So, "Response: Save this character..." means when you trigger this any phase ability this is what you are triggering, the save. If it said "Response: after this character is saved..." this is the play requirement that must be met.

Does that make sense. Most of the language really does make sense and is pretty explicit, but only once you know how the grammar/templating used in the game. Not that there aren't mistakes and confusions, but most of it is pretty easy to read as soon as you get some of the basics, like this, down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
That makes the most sense actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Abella
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... another question here, regarding Lannisport Brothel.
In response to a character standing, you can kneel LB to kneel that character. So far so good. My question comes next turn, when standing phase comes, and LB is already knelt. As far as I get it, you stand all card, then, as a response to any of the chacters standing, you can kneel again LB to kneel that character, since LB stood same time as that character, as is standing the moment you trigger the Response. Thus, making LB usable every round.

My group of friends, however, argued that, since LB is knelt the moment all cards stand (even though it itself stands too), its response can't be triggered, thus making it usable once every 2 rounds.

I havent really been able to find a FAQ on particular cards. Any idea how this one works, and if any FAQ with questions for particular cards exists?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is usable every round.

All cards stand at the same time during the standing phase which takes place before the response. So even if it just stood along with all other cards it will be standing in time to trigger its response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
One more thing, I can't actually find what the mulligan rule for this is, could someone please tell me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 mulligan, shuffle and redraw starting hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.