PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this question asked in that huge FAQ thread but I haven't seen any answer.

So: If an enemy Mercenary is the only unit in space in a system, may I move through that system as if Mercenary was a Fighter (without Advanced Fighters tech) or am I blocked as if Mercenary was a ship?

That became winning case in our game last evening, as I couldn't ride Jol-Nar's HS with my War Suns and prevent him from scoring 4VP's and winning. We ruled it that as they can move on their own they should be treated as ships, but I'd like to hear some official ruling on that case.

BTW: Is evasion ability optional or compulsory?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ship or Fighter:

Page 12 of the Shards rulebook states, "While in space, Mercenaries count towards Fleet Supply and may not be carried on other ships." Though not explicitly stated, to me that mean mercenaries are ships, not fighters. Also note that it says "other ships" implying that mercenaries are ships, too.

Evasion:

From page 13 of the FAQ:

Q: How does a Mercenary’s Evasion ability work outside of normal Space Battle combat rounds, such as the PDS fire step, pre-combat activities like Mentak’s, or Bombardment?

A: Any time a Mercenary is assigned a hit, that Mercenary may roll for Evasion.

It does say "may" not "must" so it would seem to be optional, though I would say that thematically, mercenaries would always try to save themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fab Sanke
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A related question:

Can Mercenaries use Evasion during Planetary Invasion or only in Space Battles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PMD
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a quick answer HeavyGear!

Fabmoicano wrote:
A related question:

Can Mercenaries use Evasion during Planetary Invasion or only in Space Battles?

I believe it is their ability to do so and it isn't stated anywhere it is limited to Space Battles only. However, I may be mistaken because I've played with mercenaries only once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time a Mercenary takes a hit, they can use Evasion, regardless of when it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fab Sanke
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, so the Naalu mercenary girl is really good with Evasion (4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.