Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
so when i do a cotton sale to 'distant markets', it's an income shift, presumably because the act represents a contract between the cotton mill and some foreign land that is ongoing. hence i get income from it for the rest of the game.

and when i use coal or iron from a mine/works on the board, and therefore flip the tiles to increase my income, that again represents an ongoing contract to supply iron/coal to the industry in question, hence my increased income.

but when i buy or sell iron/coal off the board via the demand scale, that's a one time cash transaction instead of an income adjustment. but wouldn't these acts represent the same "making a contract with a far away land to supply iron/coal in an ongoing way", and should therefore adjust income too?

thematically, at least?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You're making a one-off purchase for a specific project (like building a rail link). Seems thematically fine to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
freduk wrote:
No. You're making a one-off purchase for a specific project (like building a rail link). Seems thematically fine to me.

But the thematic explanation for rail links requiring coal is that the coal mine has entered into a contract to supply coal to run the trains - this is not consistent with what you propose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammerite wrote:
freduk wrote:

But the thematic explanation for rail links requiring coal is that the coal mine has entered into a contract to supply coal to run the trains - this is not consistent with what you propose.

Maybe one-time import fees or other expenses involved with searching for foreign supplies/suppliers?

Of course, that begs the question of what payment for filling the distant market is intended to represent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It fits (with a big enough hammer). When you by coal from off-board, you pay for enough to run your industry right now. Eventually, that coal is replaced by someone opening a coal mine in Lancashire. They then acquire the contract and the income boost (by immediately filling the foreign supply track). This represents the shifting to a domestic source. So you pay the premium for the initial import, but the game sorts it all out the same way down the road.

You (the user of coal/iron) don't actually pay for it; the owner of the mine/foundry gets paid for it though. That is a little funny, but that is how the game's economy is set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy, brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.