Subject: What the steps to get your card game off? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Searcy
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Greetings

I am new here and have join the group hoping to get some advice on how to go about producing your own card game. I have already made a protype and put it to the test and I have been very sucessful on testing it too. Now trying to see what are some step's to take next?

Thank You

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Of those, definitely 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Register on BGG.
2. Create a thread.
3. Provide a list of numbers.
4. ????
5. Profit!!

(Welcome to BGG! You might find we occasionally enjoy playing around in here... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will never get rich, and unlikely to make a profit from game design. That said, play the top rated games that use your mechanics so you can learn how to improve the game; play it with groups of people without playing with them, and get their honest feedback; print copies off of artscow and send it to reviewers and publishers.

If you get good feedback, maybe it can be published, or you can try kickstarter to publish it yourself. Or you can put it on thegamecrafter.com. I'm not sure how many copies thegamecrafter.com will sell you but at least it won't cost you anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind playtesting: Find some playtesters who have never seen or played the game, and get them the game with the rulebook. Ask that they play the game, but be sure you're not there for the session (no teaching, no rules clarifications). Provide an incentive for them to give honest feedback. After you hear back from a few blind playtest sessions, alter the game (possibly including the rules) to see if you can address any concerns expressed by the playtesters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
jefrobodean wrote:
Greetings

I am new here and have join the group hoping to get some advice on how to go about producing your own card game. I have already made a protype and put it to the test and I have been very sucessful on testing it too. Now trying to see what are some step's to take next?

1. READ about their current "likes"/"dislikes" upon "PlayPOKERboy"
2. "Ambiance" is a 'musk-scent'
3. Edible attire of theirs is *Optional* but highly suggestive
4. Not too heavy on lotions the first time around
5. Handlings with "happy endings all around"

jefrobodean wrote:
Thank You

Jeff
ummm, you're welcome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mathes
Germany
Essen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff,

withou knowing any details of your game, there are some "standard" steps to take.

Prepare a set of "professional" prototypes. They needn't to be highest quality but should be at least laser-printed durable cardstock with color and readable text (no hand drawn motives and text that is printed on a seperate paper etc.). Make at least five copies.

Inform yourself, how you make sure that the IP is secured for you. There are several threads here in BGG on this.

If it is a CCG . . . sorry, but please stop it right now, I have collected way to many boosters from CCGs, given as promo pack, only to never ever see any of the game again (unless you have a company right at hand that is willing to produce your game and do so for more than one season).

If it is a "pure" card game (nothing used but ONE pack of cards), just have a look, which of the publishers of these kind of games suits your type of game the best and which company of these is easy for you to get in contact. Offer to send them a prototype for their own playtesting (don't send prototypes without any prior contact).

If it is a card game with additional material . . . again, look which compaies produce games of the same kind. But be prepared that it will be much harder to place it.

Best contacts can be made on the big fairs, like the SPIEL. There you can be lucky and even get a meeting without negotiating weeks in advance. Especcially with the small scale publishers, most of them are buying in new games from freelancers at least once in a while.

Most of the very BIG companies are not so interested in freelancers, they pay their own game development and design departments and paying freelancers would make them pay double rates.

I hope these tips help a lttle bit.

Ciao

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go through a publisher you can expect from 2% to 7% of the wholesale cost in royalties. The contract will also most likely include an advance against royalties that is non refundable. You should push to have that advance cover or exceed the first print run. Unless you get a huge hit or many lesser successful games you won't be quitting your day job.

You can self publish but its the easiest way to turn a large fortune into a small one.

Step one? Playtest.
Step two? Playtest.
Step three? More playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
jefrobodean wrote:
Greetings

1. READ about their current "likes"/"dislikes" upon "PlayPOKERboy"
2. "Ambiance" is a 'musk-scent'
3. Edible attire of theirs is *Optional* but highly suggestive
4. Not too heavy on lotions the first time around
5. Handlings with "happy endings all around"

jefrobodean wrote:
Thank You

Jeff
ummm, you're welcome?

And don't forget to sleeve! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"What the steps to get your card game off?"

Start with candlelight, to set the mood....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
"What the steps to get your card game off?"

Start with candlelight, to set the mood....

Don't forget the whipped cream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
squash wrote:
And don't forget to sleeve! kiss
Do you KNOW how much 'sleeves' COST back then?
shake~U: "no?"
robot "neither does 'moi' since we didn't USE them!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.