Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Japan earlier two-player, quite enjoyable. Had a question arise at the end. One card left in the drawpile and my hand is empty. I pay 1 for a card to build with my first action then sell with my second. The last card shifts to the display my hand is still empty, game-over. Is the end game check after the display is refilled? Seems like it should be, thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so and since the display is filled at the end of a round, not at the beginning of the next round, I would say that you wouldn't play the next round. At least, that's how we played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the same way as well. The game end proved rather abrupt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Veilleux
Canada
Levis
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"3. The game ends when the deck has been exhausted, even if there are still cards on display"

Question : Does the game ends at the end of a turn when the deck has been exhausted only? Or does a player's hand must also be empty (no more card for one player, like in the base game)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chucklinus wrote:
"3. The game ends when the deck has been exhausted, even if there are still cards on display"

Question : Does the game ends at the end of a turn when the deck has been exhausted only? Or does a player's hand must also be empty (no more card for one player, like in the base game)?

The rule you're quoting is the brief synopsis of the updates from the 2nd printing of the base game. They are not Japan/Minnesota specific.

from the 2nd printing rulebook:
Quote:
The game ends at the end of a complete round of play when one or
more players have no more cards in their hand and the deck of cards
has been exhausted. Note that the discard pile is never shuffled to
make a new deck. The two cards on display are not regarded as part
of the deck, so the game will still end even those these cards are still
available to be taken.
Once the game ends players should discard any remaining cards
they have.

The game ends in the same way as the base game, when the deck (not the display) is empty and at least one player has no cards in his/her hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubbieblue wrote:
The game ends in the same way as the base game, when the deck (not the display) is empty and at least one player has no cards in his/her hand.

Part of the confusion, I think, is that the endgame condition printed on the mapboard is different than the endgame rule that is listed in the rules leaflet.

I'll need to check the board to be sure, but I think the printed text on the mapboard contains the phrase "ends immediately" when the last card is drawn. So the ending condition may actually be different for the Japan board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hdp .
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
wkover wrote:
I'll need to check the board to be sure, but I think the printed text on the mapboard contains the phrase "ends immediately" when the last card is drawn. So the ending condition may actually be different for the Japan board.

I doubt it. Being the one to end the game (and so probably getting two more actions than some of the other players) would be excessively powerful. I would expect such a dramatic shift to be clearly stated in the rules, kind of like the "you may only buy coal from the demand track" change in Chicago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hdp0 wrote:
Being the one to end the game (and so probably getting two more actions than some of the other players) would be excessively powerful.

I was thinking that "immediately" meant at the end of that round, rather than at the exact instant that the last card is drawn.

Either way, the point is moot if the printed board rules are the same as the leaflet rules. I need to check...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, my mistake. There's nothing about the game's end printed on the board, but this is what is printed in the Japan rules leaflet:

The game ends when the deck has been exhausted, even if there are still cards on display.

So, nothing is mentioned about a player running out of cards - which is the normal ending condition.

It could be that the original ending condition was meant, but who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hdp .
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
wkover wrote:
It could be that the original ending condition was meant, but who knows.

"Who knows" is right. I could see it being argued either way. I think I will continue to play until one player is out of cards -- the game is already fast enough with the 6 cards face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.