Popular Tags: [View All]
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The random "teleportation" of standardized small armies and characters each turn to a territory to do battle is just bizarre (sorry Mr. Borg - love your other games and even most of this one). Worse, it never allows for large armies to build up to attack or defend...no lines are formed...it all seems just haphazard. This is a great "fog of war" mechanic, but I think it goes too far and becomes too chaotic to form an actual battle plan or overall strategy.

The game mechanic that causes this is the re-mixing of all the territory cards (after initial army placements) into one deck from which all players then draw on their turns.

I propose that rather than re-mixing all the territory cards after initial army placement, that players keep their respective territory cards and shuffle them.

On a player's turn, they draw a territory card from their own draw pile. They then place their armies and available characters in that territory. If there is an adjacent enemy territory, they have the option to attack it. Territories that a player captures are placed into the hand of the winning player and that player shuffles their draw pile. Play continues until the attacker stops attacking or loses a battle.

If the territory card drawn is not next to an enemy territory, the owning player places his new army units and then may move none, some, or all of them into an adjacent same color army territory.

Finally, at the end of a player's turn, before they assess crown points, players may move armies and/or a character from any one territory to any other one adjacent territory, remembering to leave at least one army in the "losing" territory as a garrison and remembering that only one character may be in a territory at a time. This strategic move is also available to the armies/character that were placed on that turn and/or did battle that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus jones
United Kingdom
Pinner
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmb
i also initially thought of the armies being dropped in to a territory as a bit odd thematically. However, I wonder if perhaps Mr Borg has picked up on the civil war theme in the book and concentrated on that aspect. If so, it makes sense that each local area has an "uprising" from the Narnians or that that the White Witch strikes to prevent one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundström
Sweden
flag msg tools
Great idea! Have you or anyone else tried it out. After my first game I was thinking of something similar but you seem to have done that for me. Will try it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.