Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Been playing rftg online a bit now and I understand all the other phases, and which world is a production, militry and windfull etc, which produces goods and which don't etc. I even understand the bonuses for the consume phase but these parts i'm not quite sure on,

Trade: before consuming, you must sell 1 good for cards at these base prices ?

I don't quite understand what excatly happens in the basic consume phase, what cards go where, are any cards replaced etc.

Juts can't get my head round the consume bit, I know most of it but it's slotting it all together shake

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During the consume phase, you must trigger all of your IV powers, once each, in the order you choose.

So if your tableau looks like this:

You would choose to trigger your only IV power, eating the good from the other world, receiving 1 VP chip.

"Trade" is wholly different, it is one of the bonuses that you can choose to call the consume phase with (the other being 2x VP). Any player that chooses Consume-Trade, before the consume phase, chooses one of his goods, discards it, and draws cards equal to its trade value. The trade value is listed on the Consume-Trade card, by color. The trade value is increased by any bonuses you may have in play under your "$" powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There really is no "basic" consume phase, unless you consider that the part enacted by anyone who did not choose on of the consume roles.

The "trade" phase is not a forced trade really. You are choosing to trade by picking that role. The priviledge in this case is that you get to trade. After you trade one good for cards at the base prices you then move on to consume the rest of your goods as able. If you chose this role and did not trade you made a very horrible play as you now only get to consume for normal VP.

If you chose "Consume x2" you simply use your consume abilities with your goods except you gain double the amount of victory points.

If you did not choose either of these then you simply must use your consume powers for the printed VP amounts.

The way that consuming in general works is rather simple once you understand it.

For starters, any goods consumed from worlds are not "replaced." If a world has its good consumed it will remain empty at the end of the phase. Consumed goods are discarded face down to the discard pile.

When a consume phase happens, every planet or tech that you own that has a consume power is "activated." As long as there is no restriction on type (e.g. some powers specify a Rare Earth good, or Alien good etc) any good(s) can be consumed by that power and are then discarded, taking the appropriate amount of chips. If multiple cards are consumed by a power (the consume power will show more than one card in this case) they are all consumed simultaneously.

Once a consume power is used it is no longer active. As long as you have goods remaining on planets, and consume powers that are still active, you must continue consuming goods, even if you don't want to. However, you may choose the order that you use your consume powers which can result in having active consume powers and goods remaining on planets, due to the powers having a restrictive type.

I hope this helps clear things up for you. A helpful hint when you are learning the consume phase is to place the points you gain from each power on the power that used them so you can see which ones are used up already. Unfortunately this doesn't help if you play online!

Any more questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
During the consume phase, you must trigger all of your IV powers, once each, in the order you choose.

You would choose to trigger your only IV power, eating the good from the other world, receiving 1 VP chip.

"Trade" is wholly different, it is one of the bonuses that you can choose to call the consume phase with (the other being 2x VP). Any player that chooses Consume-Trade, before the consume phase, chooses one of his goods, discards it, and draws cards equal to its trade value. The trade value is listed on the Consume-Trade card, by color. The trade value is increased by any bonuses you may have in play under your "$" powers.

So all worlds with a good on must be consumed ? by a card or evan the card it's on that has an icon next to their IV, can only one item be consumed by one card ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
entranced wrote:

So all worlds with a good on must be consumed ? by a card or evan the card it's on that has an icon next to their IV, can only one item be consumed by one card ?

The cards with consume powers may show one card(good) being consumed or more. There is even a case of a "total number of goods minus one" power. Each consume power is used once. All goods need not be consumed if there are either not enough consume powers for all your goods or goods left over do not match the restrictive type of a consume power.

If you have the potential to consume 5 goods with no restriction on type and you currently have 4 goods in your tableau you will consume all.

The title "Consume-trade" may be misleading. It would read better as "Trade-Consume" since you do the trading first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I choose $ trade then I can only sell 1 good for the base prices unless a card with a special power next to $ allows me to do more, then I have to use consume on all other goods ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
that is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I can still use $ trade even if I don't have a card with a icon next to the $ icon but I will only get the basic action eg. blue for 2, Rare for 3 etc. ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:
Thanks.

I can still use $ trade even if I don't have a card with a icon next to the $ icon but I will only get the basic action eg. blue for 2, Rare for 3 etc. ?

I think we're almost there! Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:

Basically. To clarify your last question:

Most IV powers will consume 1 good for 1 VP chip, as above. Each IV power in play can only be used once, unless it says e.g. "x2" on it, like this:

That means the IV power can be used twice, i.e. 1 good for 1 VP chip, and then again 1 good for 1 VP chip.

Some cards can consume e.g. 2 goods in one IV power, like this:

You only use the power once, but you use up 2 goods with it, for 3 VP chips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Worger
United Kingdom
Bordon
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
s1mon wrote:
Thanks.

I think we're almost there! Good job!

I'll probably get stuck again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s1mon wrote:

I think that's wrong.

You could have goods not consumed if you've more producing worlds than consuming.

It's better to say "all words that have a consume MUST consume." You choose which good they consume, unless it's specified that they consume blue, for example.

WMReed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what you do:

(1) If you chose the "Consume Trade" card, take one good (if you have one) and sell it (discard it and receive the base number of cards (2/3/4/5) plus all applicable trade bonuses.)

(2) If you have one or more usable consume powers, you must use one. For example, if you have Terraformed World in your tableau, discard any good for a VP. Note that each consume power may only be used once per consume phase, though some consume powers can consume more than one good.

(3) Repeat (2) until you no longer have any usable consume powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See here for some more complex trade examples if you will.....

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3868188#3868188
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
s1mon wrote:

Basically. To clarify your last question:

Most IV powers will consume 1 good for 1 VP chip, as above. Each IV power in play can only be used once, unless it says e.g. "x2" on it, like this:

That means the IV power can be used twice, i.e. 1 good for 1 VP chip, and then again 1 good for 1 VP chip.

More accurately, not only CAN that ability be used twice, it MUST be used twice if you're able to. When you use the consume power on Old Earth, if you have two goods to consume, you must consume two goods. You cannot choose to have it only consume once if, when you choose to activate it, you have the means to make it consume twice.

It also should be noted that, while consume-goods-on-worlds abilities are mandatory, there are some other consume abilities (the "Discard cards for VPs" ones) that are optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
It also should be noted that, while consume-goods-on-worlds abilities are mandatory, there are some other consume abilities (the "Discard cards for VPs" ones) that are optional.

Any Consume abilities (and this extends to other phases as well) that are optional will always say may on them.

When you choose Trade, you must trade one good if you can. If you have no goods, thne nothing happens there. There are cases where you gamble with IV$, but it turns out the game is going to end and you should've choosen IVx2 to max out on VP instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Chen
United States
San Jose, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a rookie who swings by, I was hoping to add a couple more questions for some more clarification.

1. If you did not choose any consume role (say, you picked settle), and you have goods on your worlds, but you do not have ANY world with any IV power, does that mean you just simply don't get to consume anything for the VPs?

2. Also, if you DID choose, say the consume x2 VP role, but you do not have any world with consume power, does that mean you just wasted your role?

Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keen2215 wrote:
1. If you did not choose any consume role (say, you picked settle), and you have goods on your worlds, but you do not have ANY world with any IV power, does that mean you just simply don't get to consume anything for the VPs?

Correct. You may not consume unless you have consume (Phase IV) powers. To be clear, you may trade if you have no consume powers, because trading is different from (and prior to) consuming, but you may not consume.

keen2215 wrote:
2. Also, if you DID choose, say the consume x2 VP role, but you do not have any world with consume power, does that mean you just wasted your role?

Yes. You would double the zero VP you earned that phase.

Let me give an extreme example, just for fun. Let's say you have 11 worlds in your tableau, each one with a good, but you have no consume powers. You select the "Consume x2" role card. One of the other players Settles. You Settle the Pilgrimage World, which has a Consume power of "consume all your goods and receive one VP less than the number of goods you consumed." You consume the 11 goods and earn 20 VP. If no one had Settled, you'd get nothing for your Consume x 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Chen
United States
San Jose, CA
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you very much, that was very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chandy Mathai
United States
New York
flag msg tools
How do you keep track of whether a world has already consumed or not? If the world that is consuming can consume one good only, it looses its consume power once it has consumed a good. The 'consumed good' is discarded.So how would I know if this world can consume another good? .Of course it's not a problem if I mentally note it or use a marker. Just remembering it may not be easy if there are lot of production and consumption worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no components provided with the game to help remember. If necessary, you could move the cards a bit as you exercise their powers.

But, typically, we just note that (for example) there are 3 powers that consume any good for a VP and 1 power that consumes any good for a VP and a card. You have 3 goods, so you use the better power and two of the slightly weaker powers to get 3 VP and a card. It's fairly rare that you need more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathukutty wrote:
How do you keep track of whether a world has already consumed or not? If the world that is consuming can consume one good only, it looses its consume power once it has consumed a good. The 'consumed good' is discarded.So how would I know if this world can consume another good? .Of course it's not a problem if I mentally note it or use a marker. Just remembering it may not be easy if there are lot of production and consumption worlds.

Most cases, I simply do the entire consume phase at once. "I have 3 goods. I have a consume for a pt and card, a consume for a point, and a consume for 2 cards. *discard the 3 goods, collect 4pts (assume X2) and 3 cards*"

If things get 'complicated' (8+ goods and/or color specific consume) I'll move the goods to the cards with consume powers and turn them sideways. There's a chance I'll forget where a good came from, but that only matters if I really screw up and need to redo things. That hasn't happened yet fortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chandy Mathai
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathukutty wrote:
How do you keep track of whether a world has already consumed or not?

Play on the iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.