Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all

Im currently in the process now of making my prototype of a Zombie survival game.

What things would you expect/want to be in a zombie survival game?

I really appreciate all input.

Thanks people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden damage effects (like in Wings of War perhaps) so other players do not know if you are going to turn......

Cheers,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
Some kind of line of sight/fog of war/hidden map, so that there can be some surprises for the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, my first question would be what kind of zombie survival are you talking about. Do you mean squad-level combat where you're trying to wipe out zombies? Global level Zombie State style game? Or an individual level, you are each your own character thing.

Is the game focused on survival (avoiding zombies, getting a base, gathering supplies) fleeing (managing supplies, trying to reach a certain point) or killing zombies (Getting guns and ammo and going to town?).

How long will the game be? Is this a 15 minute filler ALA Zombie Flux? Are we talking Last Night On Earth hour-ish zombie killing? Or are we talking epic length survival fest?

Solo? Co-operative? Competitive?

I'd like to see a long-term survival game, focused on living, with combat rather abstracted. Less running around on a scale board and more carefully going out for supplies when it's safe, upgrading your base, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Power
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a solo/co-op option. Sort of a player vs. the system. Zombies really should have a fairly simple A.I. as they are just in search of humans for food.

I like Nessmk2's idea of the long term survival, where it's more strategic than tactical. You'd still have to fight zombies, but instead of individual zombies, maybe you'd be dealing with "hordes". To see something similar in action, check out Sarah Northway's [geekurl=http://www.rebuildgame.com/games/rebuild/]Rebuild[/geekurl] flash game. Also, Dawn of the Dead sort of implements a tactical system where the zombie hordes are represented by an abstracted strength rather than an individual zombie.

Again, focus on gathering supplies, food, and ammo would be a welcomed priority over combat, but I'd have to say, I love killing me some zombies too. Maybe having random tiles representing city blocks rather than a board. Just some ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
Well, my first question would be what kind of zombie survival are you talking about. Do you mean squad-level combat where you're trying to wipe out zombies? Global level Zombie State style game? Or an individual level, you are each your own character thing.

Is the game focused on survival (avoiding zombies, getting a base, gathering supplies) fleeing (managing supplies, trying to reach a certain point) or killing zombies (Getting guns and ammo and going to town?).

How long will the game be? Is this a 15 minute filler ALA Zombie Flux? Are we talking Last Night On Earth hour-ish zombie killing? Or are we talking epic length survival fest?

Solo? Co-operative? Competitive?

I'd like to see a long-term survival game, focused on living, with combat rather abstracted. Less running around on a scale board and more carefully going out for supplies when it's safe, upgrading your base, etc.

Its a competitive game, each player gets a character with different abilities and the first person to escape the city wins.
You will need to scavenge for supplies as you try to locate the exit. Uses the same tile system as Zombies!!!
The game will probly be round the 2 hour mark.

Once this game is finished, if it ever is lol, then i will be making a different kind of zombie game. Probly one where you have to hold up in one building, im not sure yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullseye71 wrote:

Again, focus on gathering supplies, food, and ammo would be a welcomed priority over combat, but I'd have to say, I love killing me some zombies too. Maybe having random tiles representing city blocks rather than a board. Just some ideas.

Thats exactly what im going for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, the extra info helps. So, what makes this different from Zombies!!!? What sort of abilities are there? How far along in the outbreak do you start?

If it's the same tile system as Zombies!!! does that mean that you have to fight every zombie you come across? If so, I dislike that idea. Zombies, in most stories, are individually weak/slow, but there are so many that you'll lose eventually, and therein lies the horror. I hope your game is about picking your battles wisely, rather than raiding every building you come across and killing every zombie you see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should call it "Another Zombie Game? Really?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
Okay, the extra info helps. So, what makes this different from Zombies!!!? What sort of abilities are there? How far along in the outbreak do you start?

If it's the same tile system as Zombies!!! does that mean that you have to fight every zombie you come across? If so, I dislike that idea. Zombies, in most stories, are individually weak/slow, but there are so many that you'll lose eventually, and therein lies the horror. I hope your game is about picking your battles wisely, rather than raiding every building you come across and killing every zombie you see.

You can fight or you can run, its upto you but you are rewarded for fighting, you can search corpses among other things.

What seperates this from zombies!!!?
Well this is what Zombies!!! should have been.

There are lots of different abilities, each character is very different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metzgerism wrote:
You should call it "Another Zombie Game? Really?"

Not a fan then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the zombies are the heroes in this game...for once...?

How to wrap up the biggest body count before dawn, for example...
zombie munch,munch zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:

You might enjoy Humans!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
TrashGameLover wrote:

You might enjoy Humans!!!

Yeezz, serve sem humans vitt verri much zalt, yeezzzzombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would like to see more "special undead" with cool powers, like in Left For Dead 2. Also, consider an option for one player to be a Zombie Master. Finally, escaping is a rather boring premise -- how about some kind of goal has to be accomplished, and then an escape?

Maybe consider having different scenarios. Escape from Zombieland, Rescue the Civilians, Kill the Zombie Lord, Find the Infection Source, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Elida wrote:

No doubt! Say you are already a zombie, would you want all the humans trying to kill you? The best zombie is the one who has eaten the most brains of course....and lost the fewest number of appendages. There should be no zombie overlord as they are more of a riot mentality. Stay with the group or get dismembered more easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.