Arthur O'Dell
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I had a diagreement over how these cards should be played. To me, it seems pretty clear from the cards that they affect one dragon when played. As he had 4 dragons in the attacking force, he argued that the card should apply to all of them. Part of this comes from playing Axis & Allies, where you roll all of the attack dice for the same type of unit at one time. I tried to explain that giving his 4 gold dragons 4 additional d10s each was a little too unbalancing. Basically, I need a third-party resolution to how these cards should be interpreted.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
troilus595 wrote:
My brother and I had a diagreement over how these cards should be played. To me, it seems pretty clear from the cards that they affect one dragon when played. As he had 4 dragons in the attacking force, he argued that the card should apply to all of them. Part of this comes from playing Axis & Allies, where you roll all of the attack dice for the same type of unit at one time. I tried to explain that giving his 4 gold dragons 4 additional d10s each was a little too unbalancing. Basically, I need a third-party resolution to how these cards should be interpreted.

Your brother tried, but failed: it is clearly only one dragon.

One shall beware using the "it is clearly" in an disagreement, but the card says:

Fire Breath wrote:
Fire Breath

Play just before you roll a Vailin Dragon's attack die.

The Dragon rolls 4 additional d10 attack dice for this attack.

Dragon's attack die is singular (both dragon and die).

The Dragon is also pretty singular.

If this was a Fantasy Flight Game, they would be expected to word their cards with a random word generator, but not these guys. Other Vailin cards are very specific on affecting more units:

Arrow Volley: Vailin Footsoldiers in the battle gain (...)

Blockade: Each Vailin Warship rolls 1 d8 attack die against (...)

Dragonbane Arrows: Each enemy Dragon in the battle (...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is testament to Denmark's amazing educational system, and to the caliber of its populace, that we regularly find Danes (along with other Scandinavians) regularly parsing English-language rules on these forums. So deeply impressive. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typhon wrote:
(...) caliber (...) Danes (...) regularly (...) deeply impressive (...)

Yeah, I agree cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:

If this was a Fantasy Flight Game, they would be expected to word their cards with a random word generator, but not these guys.

Haha, low blow. True though, very true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dell
United States
Harvard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

That is how I read the card. Now if I can only convince him that we're right. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
troilus595 wrote:
Thanks!

That is how I read the card. Now if I can only convince him that we're right. . .

Well, you could always ask him how many of himself he thinks he has, just to test if he even knows plural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.