Subject: Roma + Maecenas question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Chocol
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are the Roma player and you play out Maecenas as a leader are you just wasting the play or would you actually earn 2 coins for each leader played after him?

Just wanted to get others input on this combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be wrong (going by memory), but I believe that the rules state that Leader costs can never fall below 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, you don't get any money for making the cost of a Leader going down below zero.

I could see a reason for playing him, but obviously for Rome it is a lot less attractive.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that Maecenas is not less attractive for Rome, but more so! You only get his benefit each time you play a leader - which means only two times for non-Rome(B) players. If he is the first leader for Rome(B) player then he allows you to play up to 4 more leaders for free! If you get him and draft 3 more expensive Leaders (or draw them after stage one) you could save a bunch of coins. Imagine Pericles, the three science symbol guys and Ramses - 5 Leaders which each cost 5 coins. For Rome(B) getting 4 of these would cost 12 coins (plus whatever your first Leader costs) - from a Wonder that likely needs to do more buying than has people buying from it. With Maecenas this cost drops to 1 (for Maecenas) + 0 for all your other Leaders. Huge savings and no worries about having enough money at the end of each age or when building your Wonder.

Is Maecenas a must draft for Rome (B)? Possibly. Certainly if you can draft some other expensive Leaders.

Less attractive for Rome (A) - Yes. In fact completely worthless!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wynne
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Wynners Circle Games
mbmbmbmbmb
the two games ive had Rome ive got this guy. I took him first pick during the leaders draft and never looked back. he is not a MUST obv since there is already to 2 coin discount but when you get to play 5 leaders a game why not have them all be free. I still dislike using Rome tho. No extra coins and no starting resource is rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lindegaard
Denmark
Risskov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my rule book it specifies for Maecenas that his power is limited to the recruitment phase. Since Rome's extra leaders are not played during that phase, Maecenas' power should not apply there. This would mean that for Rome he would only be a 1 or 2 coin benefit for the value 3 or 4 leaders in 2nd and 3rd recuitment phase.

Or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
butik man
msg tools
Golo wrote:
In my rule book it specifies for Maecenas that his power is limited to the recruitment phase. Since Rome's extra leaders are not played during that phase, Maecenas' power should not apply there. This would mean that for Rome he would only be a 1 or 2 coin benefit for the value 3 or 4 leaders in 2nd and 3rd recuitment phase.

Or what?

Bump for this tread. I think Martin is right. In my English rule book also states that Maecenas power is applicable in recruitment phase. Otherwise he could be too powerful for the Rome player.

Please give an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.