Ascending Empires» Forums » Variants

Subject: Level 2 brown tech minor house rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Daoust
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At first, we used the tech as it read: any time you build a city, you get two troops. We interpreted it as an additional two troops, so most every time, we'd get a starship and two troops.

Then we got corrected: the tech meant you got to choose between one starship or two troops. We played that way for a while, but then noted some inconsistencies.

The rationale

The level 2 brown tech tends to behave strangely.
- Every city you build before getting the tech lowers its value; building every city makes the tech entirely useless. It is the only tech that can, and frequently does, become entirely useless in normal play.
- Even if you delay your cities, you have to choose between the starship and the troops, a decision usually skewed toward the starship. You might use the tech, say, twice? Else, you fall too far behind in starship count to be a menace (unless you manage to get level 4 brown tech).

It's obvious that the tech is intended to increase your troop supply at a very deliberate rate, but those two shortcomings, especially the first, make it spotty.

The house rule

The level 2 brown tech now reads For each City you have on the board, add 1 Troop to your Supply. Any city built afterwards also contibutes 1 troop. The bonus troops are always in addition to the starship or troop the cities normally give you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems very powerful for a level 2 tech. Normally if you used it just twice you are most likely have a higher troop count than the player who only gets to choose between starship or troop.

Even if you do half and half, you have 2 starship and 4 troops, compared to 2 starship and 2 troops. Those two extra troops a good level 2 advantage in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to gain 1 starship and 1 troop is powerful.

Also, in my group, if you are going for the brown tech, you usually don't build a city until you are at level 2 tech. If you do, you pick a starship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the intended rule is best. Building a fleet of ships is too powerful. Its a bit harder to use the extra guys to as good effect. I like that its a deliberate decision players have to make between 2 guys or 1 ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Daoust
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still, I don't like the idea of a tech that's useless if you've already built your cities.

It's the only tech that you might have no incentive at all to get.

Would you agree that allowing the choice retroactively would be fine? For example:

- I already have two cities built; I got a starship for each one. If I get the loevel 2 brown tech, I can trade each of the starships for 2 troops; I choose to trade one.
- All my cities are built when I get the tech; I had got 3 starships and 1 troop. I get a second troop to go with the one I chose earlier and I can trade those 3 starships in if I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ceraus wrote:
Still, I don't like the idea of a tech that's useless if you've already built your cities.

It's the only tech that you might have no incentive at all to get.

Would you agree that allowing the choice retroactively would be fine? For example:

- I already have two cities built; I got a starship for each one. If I get the loevel 2 brown tech, I can trade each of the starships for 2 troops; I choose to trade one.
- All my cities are built when I get the tech; I had got 3 starships and 1 troop. I get a second troop to go with the one I chose earlier and I can trade those 3 starships in if I want.

I like that the game emphasizing planning. There is a lot more strategy involved here than just "flick and burn". If you are going to be developing that tech, why are you building your cities first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If one of your Cities is destroyed you will get the +1 troop bonus as soon as you rebuild that City.

It's destroyed again? Build it again, add another extra troop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.