Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the original post seems to have been deleted along with the associated thread, this is just a post to note that Capes and Cowls sold on Ebay earlier this evening for approximately 382.51. May be helpful in future discussions, and in tracking the value/rarity of the item in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$382...

that should trigger other owners of the game to sell as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
As much as I like C&C, that has to be one of the stone cold silliest prices paid for a game in recent memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:
As much as I like C&C, that has to be one of the stone cold silliest prices paid for a game in recent memory.

Seeing as I paid a not dissimilar "silly price" for the game recently, I'd be interested in knowing why you think it's a stone cold silly price...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
$382...

that should trigger other owners of the game to sell as well.

As long as everyone doesn't sell at once. High eBay prices prompted numerous City of Chaos copies to go up for auction, which drove the price way down. I saw copies go for close to $60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I bid on that auction -- no, no, didin't win.

So, who says the economy is dead?

Hopefully, other C&C's will come out for auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
yoyomama wrote:

I bid on that auction -- no, no, didin't win.

So, who says the economy is dead?

Hopefully, other C&C's will come out for auction.

At that price, I must admit I'm very tempted to sell mine. On the otherhand, I'm not hurting for cash, so that lessens the temptation. I'll still kicking myself for mot buying two copies at $60 back when it was available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDrunk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
mbmbmbmbmb
Boo! I was enjoying the original tread. What did it hit? Three pages? I was hoping that Robin Spriggs would see it and realize that there was still a lot of interest in his game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you mention the word ebay too much, the admins will come along and delete entire threads no matter how much useful info was discussed - I had one deleted on me a couple weeks ago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's freaking annoying. But I don't think an admin did it. You always get a geekmail from them. I just got one recently for a deleted thread on the whole Glory of Rome circus. I didn't start it, just commented on it but got an email saying that series of discussion was removed. My guess is the original poster deleted it which they can do. So everything on the thread goes with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Well that's freaking annoying. But I don't think an admin did it. You always get a geekmail from them. I just got one recently for a deleted thread on the whole Glory of Rome circus. I didn't start it, just commented on it but got an email saying that series of discussion was removed. My guess is the original poster deleted it which they can do. So everything on the thread goes with it.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore. You can delete the first post, but the thread remains.

That particular thread was probably removed because it was specifically advertising an ebay auction, which I'm sure is not allowed. If it were, the forums would be flooded with them. Not for this game, obviously, but in general. It might have been allowed to stay in Hot Deals or GeekBay. Maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If mentioning something is on sale on ebay is such a bad thing, why does each game page show you copies both in the marketplace AND for sale on ebay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
If mentioning something is on sale on ebay is such a bad thing, why does each game page show you copies both in the marketplace AND for sale on ebay?

There's a separate module to list ebay sales. A new thread for every ebay auction on every game would be hundreds or thousands of junk threads clogging up the forums.

My guess is that the mods left the thread open until the auction was over since they recognized that Capes & Cowls is an exception... I believe that was the first ebay auction for the game ever. But if they left the thread up then they'd have to make a judgment call about what to allow and what not to. Easier to just say no to all threads that advertise ebay auctions.

Again, just speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

glookose wrote:
if you mention the word e@#! too much, ....

Okay, I won't mention that public, worldwide, online auction site, nor give any directions to it as I mention it as a reference for my postings on said topic as noted above.

Quote duly edited above, by me.

Okay, smart-alec mini rant aside, this entire series of events, (or event? since it was a single auction) should really go to show how much there is a market, a rather aggressive, viable market for Capes & Cowls.

Because, in all seriousness, who really pays $382.00 for an out of print game?

Do you know how many original, mint, copies of first edition Space Hulk I could've bought with that $$$ (before 3rd ed came out?) -- now, again I am not trying to sound as if I criticizing how people spend their money -- and believe me, I am certainly near the top of that list for things I spend money on (ie., buying a 'Border's Rewards Plus membership a month ago -- yes, feel free to laugh your backsides off at me, because it's true, I did it and the wife was PISSED!).

The roundabout point I am trying to make, is that because the ending price was so incredibly high, it shows that this game is really wanted out there.

And if, by some remote chance, that message gets back to the owner of the rights to the game, and then that owner decides to move forward, that would be great for everyone. If the owner decides they want to just let things go, well, cry as I might (and I mean real tears, not figuratively), then I will respect that.

I will however, be crying over my copy of Space Hulk.

And I will continue to actively seek out a copy of Capes & Cowls.

And I won't be buying another Border's Rewards Membership Plus (becasue my wife told me not to)

Does any one know the store hours of Barnes and Noble?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
yoyomama wrote:
Because, in all seriousness, who really pays $382.00 for an out of print game?

Do you know how many original, mint, copies of first edition Space Hulk I could've bought with that $$$ (before 3rd ed came out?)

Ummm...I'd say two-and-a-half? Maybe less?

The game is, by all accounts, very good. It's also in a less common genre. Lastly, there are a very limited number of copies in existence; there are 60 owned copies versus 160 wanted copies here on the 'Geek alone. You're comparing that to a game with the production run of Space Hulk? While I think $380 is expensive for a game, if someone has the money, why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that discussions about price and availability should be a legal option whether you mention Ebay or not. ESPECIALLY for rare/OOP games. There ISN'T any other real forum to discuss that stuff and it sure helps me figure out what I want to pay or not pay for those items.

Board games cost money and buying and selling them is a large part of the hobby.

And - like a previous poster said - reading the discussion about the ebay prices might help someone decide a game needs to be reprinted.

There is nothing stopping people from posting that something is on ebay now, generating an email to people who are tracking that game, and I doubt the admins get hundreds of thousands of junk posts about ebay that they have to police. It probably only happens on the expensive out of print games from time to time.

If the admin who deletes all forum posts that mentions ebay would like to speak up, I'd be interested in hearing the reasoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started the thread and sold the game. I tried to figure out how to make announcing it "board game geek legal" and thought I'd done okay. Just mentioning it was on ebay not interjecting anything else or "advertising" it. The thread was taken down by the admins after one of the last posters complained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDrunk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
mbmbmbmbmb
barryzimm wrote:
I started the thread and sold the game. I tried to figure out how to make announcing it "board game geek legal" and thought I'd done okay. Just mentioning it was on ebay not interjecting anything else or "advertising" it. The thread was taken down by the admins after one of the last posters complained.

Judging from the snippet that Google search provides someone accused you of "hyping his eBay sale" and that you "ought to pay the 3% BGG Marketplace commission".

I completely disagree with that assessment as you had nothing to do with the thread other than the original post stating the game was on eBay. I appreciate you posting that the game was on eBay and I was quite enjoying the thread and the discussion about the rarity of the game and the possibility of it reaching an amazing price. As I posted earlier I was hoping Robin Spriggs would notice and realize that there is a good number of people who would pay for a reprint of the game.... but now.... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he reprints it I can now by 20!
I intentionally tried not to "hype" it here but I did know this is the place people would be interested in knowing it was available. My problem was the BGG guidelines on something like this, from what I could find, was kinda vague. I truly didn't want to break BGG rules, I really love the site and respect what they have going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Sonny Rollins - A Night at the Village Vanguard
badge
Gates of Eden - Ethan Coen
mbmbmbmbmb
barryzimm wrote:

Starting a thread in the game folder to hype your sale is not "geek legal". Flying Arrow mentioned one great reason:

FlyingArrow wrote:
There's a separate module to list ebay sales. A new thread for every ebay auction on every game would be hundreds or thousands of junk threads clogging up the forums.

The game folders comprise a database, and having them fill up with old sale threads would cripple their usefulness as references for game information.

One very important reason that starting threads to hype eBay sales isn't allowed is that Dirk and Aldie have to eat, and one of their revenue streams is the BGG Marketplace. BGG members buy and sell games in the Marketplace, and BGG gets a 3% commission on the transactions. If you want to sell games and support the site, sell through the BGG Marketplace. Note that we also have various folders dedicated to sales, e.g. the Hot Deals forum.

EBay doesn't provide a place for you to list your sales at BGG Marketplace (for obvious reasons) - why should BGG reduce their own revenue by letting people post eBay ads here? Yet amazingly, BGG is cool enough that they do exactly that. They even pay you geek gold to link your eBay sales listings! All they ask is that you follow the rules: eBay integration

Short summary, you can link eBay sales, your own or somebody else's, and get paid .01 gg each time you do so. The resulting link will automatically appear on the game page, and go into the front page eBay module as well.

One benefit of doing it the proper way is that your eBay listing will be there for people who are looking for it, but will not trigger subscription alerts to people (like myself) who are subcribed to games they already own, and don't want subscription notification every time somebody puts a copy up for sale. I'm subscribed to hundreds of games, and if every member ignored the rules and started a thread in the game folder to announce it when they put one up for sale, the subscription service would be unusable.

BTW, I did click the red X and flag the original thread as a rules violation - I don't know how many others did so. Obviously the admins agreed, otherwise they wouldn't have zapped it. I'm delighted that it's gone. In your case, it stayed up long enough that it undoubtedly contributed to the high price you received. You may not agree, but I personally think you should pay a BGG Marketplace commission for the benefit received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know... If Barry didn't start the original thread, someone else surely would have started it.

...But I do see Sphere's reasoning as well. I do thank you for the BGG etiquette lesson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
I don't know... If Barry didn't start the original thread, someone else surely would have started it.

...But I do see Sphere's reasoning as well. I do thank you for the BGG etiquette lesson.

Thanks for keeping an open mind, Adam. In a perfect world, we would educate one another about how the site works, and rather than starting a thread, somebody would link the eBay auction correctly. The beauty of that is that the notifications go to those who want them, and not to those who don't.

For those who aren't familiar with the process, each game page has a 'Subscribe/Unsubscribe' toggle near the top right of the page, which has a drop-down dialog with 'Edit Subscription' as an option. Games that you subscribe to start with your default subscription preferences, but 'Edit Subscription' lets you customize the choices for that specific game. 'ebay Auction' is one of the selectable notification elements.

That means that you can customize your eBay Auction notifications individually for games you are seeking. The system doesn't work when somebody starts a thread in the general folder, because then everybody gets the notification, including those who set their profiles to avoid them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Zimmerman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Holy Terror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I simply looked under a link called forum rules and there wasn't anything about mentioning an ebay auction. It seems you'd have to be awfully BGG savy to figure out how to do all that. When I donate to BGG this year I'll add in the 3% from the sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barryzimm wrote:
Yeah, I simply looked under a link called forum rules and there wasn't anything about mentioning an ebay auction. It seems you'd have to be awfully BGG savy to figure out how to do all that.

If you click 'Help' at the top of the page, and pick FAQ or Guide or whatever, you get a page with a wiki search bar at the top. Type 'ebay' in the search and you find the link I provided.

barryzimm wrote:
When I donate to BGG this year I'll add in the 3% from the sale.

That is very classy - I tip my hat to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

For those who aren't familiar with the process, each game page has a 'Subscribe/Unsubscribe' toggle near the top right of the page, which has a drop-down dialog with 'Edit Subscription' as an option. Games that you subscribe to start with your default subscription preferences, but 'Edit Subscription' lets you customize the choices for that specific game. 'ebay Auction' is one of the selectable notification elements.

That means that you can customize your eBay Auction notifications individually for games you are seeking. The system doesn't work when somebody starts a thread in the general folder, because then everybody gets the notification, including those who set their profiles to avoid them.

Thanks, there are a few games I would like these notifications for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |