Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Counter attack and Enemy Activity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Billaud
France
La roche sur yon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, thanks for all the replies you do. That is very very nice.

I had questions about counter attck.

Do you need to draw for contact for the ? Tokens you put on cards or are they automatic ?

And What happen if I cannot place, for example a enemy FO, during a counter attack ? Do I need to select an other enemy units or I just give up this contact ?

Enemy Activity :

Which activity do I choose if an Enemy unit has fire from 2 different directions, both same distance and is firing back in one. ( no rule book in front of me)

1 ) The one which said : the fire is from a different PDF
2) or the other ( later) : Trading fire etc

Thanks Gentlemen, and congratulations Mr Hull for your game. It Rocks !!

Thomas
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a rookie, but I think I can help with some of these...

solea wrote:

Do you need to draw for contact for the ? Tokens you put on cards or are they automatic ?


You randomly place the ? counters, turn them upright, then proceed to draw for contact for all of them during the VOF phase, in alpha order (As first, then Bs...)

solea wrote:

And What happen if I cannot place, for example a enemy FO, during a counter attack ? Do I need to select an other enemy units or I just give up this contact ?


I think you would keep drawing for another package, until you can either place one or you've exhausted all possibilities and then you remove that contact.

solea wrote:

Which activity do I choose if an Enemy unit has fire from 2 different directions, both same distance and is firing back in one. ( no rule book in front of me)

1 ) The one which said : the fire is from a different PDF
2) or the other ( later) : Trading fire etc

You use the first description that applies, working from the top of the list down. So if 1) applies, you don't even look at 2).

Hope this helps (and frankly, I hope it's right )

Chris
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Billaud
France
La roche sur yon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitivly it does !

Thanks, I didn't play the counter atack like that ...
So in a counter attack you can find a bunker on a card you already "secure", strange.

And how do you deal with that :

Leader + Squad under bunker or Leader / Squad under bunker.

Only the squad is under Bunker and leader in default cover or both are under bunker ?

However, for the the Enemy activity, I wasn't clear enuough sorry.

I know, you read and apply the conditions from the top, but the thing is : Does the situation I describe is ruled by the point " Under fire from a different PDF". Cause yes in the situation the fire is from a different PDF and no, it isn't because the enemy unit is firing back an other one.

Am I clear ?


Thomas, Ambassador for the french reputation for foreign language ...blush

Thank you Gentlemen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Chris' answers.

solea wrote:
Thanks, I didn't play the counter atack like that ...
So in a counter attack you can find a bunker on a card you already "secure", strange.

For a counter-attack, you do indeed draw for contact for the new PC markers - contact is not automatic. However, if contact occurs, you use a different table to determine what enemy units are placed. For example, look at Normandy Mission 1, on page 5 of the mission briefing booklet. On the lower right side of the page there is a section for "Mission Specific Information" with the table you use to resolve enemy counter-attacks. That table has no bunkers.

Quote:
And how do you deal with that :

Leader + Squad under bunker or Leader / Squad under bunker.

Only the squad is under Bunker and leader in default cover or both are under bunker ?

"Leader + Squad": Put both squad and leader in the bunker. A bunker can hold all four steps.

"Leader / Squad": this would mean to put each in a different card. I don't think you would see this, because the enemy leader wouldn't be very useful by himself.

Quote:
I know, you read and apply the conditions from the top, but the thing is : Does the situation I describe is ruled by the point " Under fire from a different PDF". Cause yes in the situation the fire is from a different PDF and no, it isn't because the enemy unit is firing back an other one.

In the situation you describe, "Under fire from a different PDF" is YES.

The intent here is that the enemy units have opened fire on your first unit (the squad that contacted them). Then, a typical tactic is for you to maneuver other units with more firepower to an adjacent card that is not under fire, to put the enemy unit in crossfire. Now the enemy is under fire from two different directions (PDFs), so "Under fire from a different PDF" applies. The risk is that the enemy unit might instead choose to shift fire to those flanking units ("exposed" because they are moving).

I hope that translates OK.

Quote:
Thomas, Ambassador for the french reputation for foreign language ...blush

Your english is much better than french!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Billaud
France
La roche sur yon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhredder wrote:
I agree with Chris' answers.

[q="solea"]Thanks, I didn't play the counter atack like that ...
So in a counter attack you can find a bunker on a card you already "secure", strange.

Quote:
For a counter-attack, you do indeed draw for contact for the new PC markers - contact is not automatic. However, if contact occurs, you use a different table to determine what enemy units are placed. For example, look at Normandy Mission 1, on page 5 of the mission briefing booklet. On the lower right side of the page there is a section for "Mission Specific Information" with the table you use to resolve enemy counter-attacks. That table has no bunkers.



Yep, ok for this point but the Table is only for Potential A Contact isn't it ?

So if you randomly place ? Counter, you can have B and C markers no ? How to deal with them ?


Amazing, I got all the principal rules but this one hurts me.

Do I m loosing my brain ... I become stupid or what !!!shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
solea wrote:
Yep, ok for this point but the Table is only for Potential A Contact isn't it ?

So if you randomly place ? Counter, you can have B and C markers no ? How to deal with them ?


Oh. I see what you mean. Only in Normandy Missions 1 and 2 are PC ? used for counter-attacks. I think all other missions only use PC A.

I did not experience a counter-attack in Normandy Mission 1, but I think I did in Mission 2. I suppose it didn't concern me too much if a PC B marker caused a new entrenched MG nest to suddenly appear. Perhaps they infiltrated into a fortified position that was overlooked before. Strange things can happen in a battle.

However, I looked at the tables for PC B and PC C contacts for Mission 1. I can see where there might be some odd situations for a counter-attack: mines especially; or the "Strong Point" or "88" packages, depending on where they appear. You might just ignore any new mines that appear on cards you already cleared. And ignore or reposition a Strong Point or 88 if the location seems unreasonable.

Alternatively, I suppose you could just use PC A markers for the counter-attack, like all the other missions do. (though the designer may have had a perfectly good reason for using PC ? rather than just PC A)

Note: You will encounter a similar situation in Normandy Mission 4. The mission starts with PC C markers on the US starting positions. You may need to use your judgement to handle some odd situations there, too. (Mission 4 is particularly nasty because it starts that way)

FoF is like that sometimes. Occasionally it produces some situations that seem odd, or are not specifically addressed in the rules. Since it's a solitaire game, just adjust things as you see fit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Billaud
France
La roche sur yon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhredder wrote:
Oh. I see what you mean. Only in Normandy Missions 1 and 2 are PC ? used for counter-attacks. I think all other missions only use [b]PC A[/b


Thanks, great on BBG there are some nice people to help you !!!!

Ok I got it now. I didn't even know that only in Mission 1 and 2 You use ? markers and in the others only A.

I will find it.

Happy to re play that damned mission !

Thomas
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.