Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Those poor Cadets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played twice New Market Battle as John Breckinridge ... Arf: not easy!

We played it with the "sabers" and the "generals" home rules.

Thoses poor Cadets of Virginia Military Institute were so weak with their 3 figures and range 321!

On the other wing, the horse artillery is nice but have a problem against foot artillery ... and the yanks do have foot artillery on that side too! Arf!

I lost the first one 5/6 but won (as a miracle) the second battle 6/5 and I'm soo proud of it!

I understand now the "miracle" that did the rebels winning the real battle!

(Sorry not to have posted it in "session": missclick)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of the mystique and pathos of this battle also has to do with the poignancy of the valor of the boys of VMI. The cadets, in the flower of youth (and with the false sense of immortality) took to the field of battle...the field of honor.

I have young sons...I cannot imagine them on an American Civil War battlefield. I would a thousand times take their places. What tragedy and heroism blended! They have found a measure of immortality in the halls of VMI, in the history books, and now in our game. Their fame and glory live...yet still, I think that their parents might have been happier if their children had grown up to live quiet lives.

You might be interested in this:

http://www.vmi.edu/archives.aspx?id=6485
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm father too and fully understand your feeling. I also was a cadet when young so understand the meaning of "field of honnor" when 20 years old.

That's why their sacrifice must be remembered and honored. Even if maybe not for the "politicaly correct" side, they were fighting for their famillies, neighborhood and state.

Because I love history and because a wargame will never only be tokens & dices in my mind ... believe me or not ... but I had emotion while moving thoses cadet figures!

God bless thoses young men!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.