Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This past weekend I ran my first 5K. My time wasn’t great (43:29), but I finished. I ran more than I walked and I was even able to sprint to the end. Plus, as an added bonus, I didn’t hurt myself.

My entire life, I never enjoyed physical activity. As an uncoordinated child who was literally picked last in gym class, it was difficult not to equate participating in sports with humiliation. But, without getting into too many details, recent health problems have forced me to become active. Without hyperbole, I can say it was a matter of life or death.

But you know what? There’s something about the simplicity of running that instantly appealed to me. I never thought I would like it, since I always hated the treadmill (and still do), but running outdoors is a whole new experience.

So I had to learn the hard way that health should be one of my top priorities. For a while, it wasn’t, and I paid the price. I’m still not where I need to be, but I’m getting there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!! Congratulations!

Running in a race is still too intimidating for me, so I am impressed that you did that!

Don't worry about your speed: no matter how slow you run, you are lapping everyone on the couch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
ky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIGGGGG CONGRATS !!! I am having to start over and I decided to go with running again. I also loved the feeling of being outdoors while running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Menzel
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Missed it by that much ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job - the first time is always the hardest, and hopefully your times will only go down from here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completed a 5K this year, in increments of .1K at a time.gulp

Congratulations to you on your effort.thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your first 5k! It's an awesome feeling. Be proud of yourself no matter what the time.

Jess, don't worry about the race atmosphere. It is very inviting and very forgiving of all runners no matter how fast or slow. You really owe it to yourself to give it a shot. And I promise you that you will surprise yourself. The adrenaline that you have in you during a race cannot be matched on your regular runs and you will do better than you could do on your own.

My first 5k was last September. I've done about 5 others since. I can't wait to finally do this year's incarnation of my first one last September.

I'm going to lay off the fall 5k's though, besides rerunning in my first one, they don't mesh well with my current goals for the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! I always hated sports as a kid also, but like you I found running to be enjoyable and it makes me feel great. (I always found that I like skiing and non-competitive weightlifting...apparently if it's exercise and nobody throws anything at me, I like it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!! While I've recently made my diet a priority in my life, I haven't really committed to an exercise routine. I'm sure it wasn't easy and I commend you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
Wahooo! Great job!

Running is such a great sport with lots of support. You are usually alone on your everyday runs, but you get to a 5K and you see all kinds of other people and you think, ah, I'm not alone.

Keep it up. And don't think about the time at all. At first, it's all about completing it. Then you can start pushing for your personal bests.

Looks like it's time for you to buy a new microbadge:

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
Wahooo! Great job!

Running is such a great sport with lots of support. You are usually alone on your everyday runs, but you get to a 5K and you see all kinds of other people and you think, ah, I'm not alone.

Keep it up. And don't think about the time at all. At first, it's all about completing it. Then you can start pushing for your personal bests.

Looks like it's time for you to buy a new microbadge:

Ya know, there's a better and easier way to put a microbadge into a post:

[ microbadge=763 ] (remove the spaces)

It looks like this:

mb

It has the mouseover text and you can click on it to go to the purchase page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an occasional runner, I salute you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the words of encouragement, all. I also posted this on Google+ and was surprised that some of my friends also had to turn their lives around with regards to diet and exercise. I guess my big perspective shift happened when I realized that I needed to stop living with regret for past mistakes and had to start looking towards the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.